Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed.

vCash
    Are you serious....?

It's college, at the end of the day who gives a 17?!

College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go. It's 4-5 years out of her and your life. Get a grip.

vCash
    ^^ This is what happens when you go to OM. You think it's a waste of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post

College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go.
    Incorrect.

vCash
    I have a friend who told his son he would pay his way to any place but Ole Miss (even though he is a Wisconsin graduate!). Of course, his son goes to Ole Miss. 12 years later, his UNM graduate son is still in a minimum wage job and blaming his Dad for not giving him more money.

I wish you the best of luck, but work to keep those you cherish from bad choices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You let her go and keep rooting for State because college sports aren't that serious?
    I'm guessing you haven't spent that much time in Oxford? Especially around the girls? Plenty of great people come out of ole miss and state, so it's not the end of the world, but I would have serious concerns about sending my child to Oxford, especially a girl, and it has nothing to do with sports. There are plenty of things that can go wrong in life; why increase the odds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Are you serious....?

It's college, at the end of the day who gives a 17?!

College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go. It's 4-5 years out of her and your life. Get a grip.
    You probably need to sit the next few plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    I know you always have the high and mighty answer for everything but maybe it has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the atmosphere and culture there.
    If that's it, then that's more than a fair thing to consider when assessing it. But I based my assumption that it's primarily about sports on the fact that he listed all the people in his family who went to State. It didn't seem to be based on concern for her, it seemed to be based on the simple reason that he doesn't like the idea that someone in his family would go to Ole Miss.

vCash
    My kids can go anywhere they want with the understanding that not a dime of my money will ever be sent to Oxford, MS.

vCash
    My wife and I graduated from State. We live near Atlanta but took our daughter to visit State. She also asked to visit OM. She had high grades and a 30 ACT. We scheduled visits. Got to OM campus around 9am and walked around. No State clothing, of course. Daughter observed that very few students seemed to be awake. Went to the office to sign in. Got the sales spiel. Student tour guides took us around. Daughter observed very little welcoming attitude from students we encountered. Took a lunch break, went to the Square.

"Sweetheart, if you decide to go here I'll do that best I can to be supportive. Wherever you go, I want you to embrace the experience because beyond academics, the culture of your undergraduate institution will play a large part in making you who you will be for the rest of your life. Just consider that."
    "Dad, this place doesn't feel right at all. Most of the students we've met this morning seemed stuck up and thought they were too good to talk to us. And that's just the ones who were able to get up before noon."
    "You have two scheduled meetings with professors this afternoon."
    "Let's just eat lunch and go on down to Starkville. I've seen enough."

Drove out of Oxford for hopefully the last time in my life. Went straight to Starkville. Had a vastly different experience in visiting State the next day. Friendly, welcoming, family. Great visit. My wife and I consciously avoided scale-tipping at both places.

Daughter ended up at Georgia Southern for scholarship reasons, but she cheers for State in the SEC. Looking at State for grad school. Fingers crossed.

The difference between State and OM is obvious when given a fair comparison. Good luck.

vCash
    We have a similar situation, but not quite as bad.

My son is being recruited by LSU and plans to do an official visit there soon. LSU has been one of the top 3 most hated teams in my household, and he knows this as he is an MSU fan. Unfortunately, MSU does not offer swimming scholarships since there is no swim team @ State. One of two schools (guess the other) that does not provide for swimmers in the SEC, which has quite a few ranked teams.

Speak freely with your daughter and share your concerns/opinions. However, allow her to make her choice. It is difficult, but it is the beginning of adulthood.

Good luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hey, support your daughter. I have a daughter at TSNU, she loves it and I'm certainly happy for her. It was a shock to me when she visited and told me that's where she wanted to go. She ask if I was going to be mad, I told her Msu was my school and she had to decide on her own. Yes we are a house divided but my family comes first and for any of you saying otherwise can just suck it!

HailState!
    ^^^This^^^

Banned
    vCash
    Not reading this whole thread. 1. Get in touch with the MSU cheer squad and get her a spot but don't tell her you did that. 2. Buy her a Land Rover if she'll go to MSU instead of Cocaine College. Good luck bud

vCash
    5 words of advice. DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE!

vCash
    Tell her there's no waaayyyyy, she came from your loins. When you get home, punch her momma in the mouth.

vCash
    The way I look at it is the WORLD is a very large place, and my exclusion of TSUN (other than Med Center) is a very tiny thing to overlook if they want my financial assistance. I will still love and support them, but will not directly financially support them. Life is FULL of choices.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    The way I look at it is the WORLD is a very large place, and my exclusion of TSUN (other than Med Center) is a very tiny thing to overlook if they want my financial assistance. I will still love and support them, but will not directly financially support them. Life is FULL of choices.
    This all day. Life is full of difficult choices. Sending the check to Starkville and letting her make the choice will pay many dividends by the time she's 30-35.

Banned
    vCash
    Explain your situation and I bet she gets a spot on MSU's cheer squad. If she can make the OM cheer squad she can make the MSU one and that's no disrespect towards MSU.

vCash
    Support her fully in whatever college she chooses. End of story!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    I've seen too many decent boys and girls, once they go to Ole Miss, become psycho druggies, or alcoholics, or embrace an alternative lifestyle.

I'm not talking about the Inbred 5th Generation "How many Acres Does Your Diddy Own In the Delta?" Rebel students....they're bad enough. I'm talking about someone who will totally go against everything you ever raised her to be.

If she goes to Ole Miss, she'll do one of two things- either become a self-absorbed, clothes and status-obsessed Phony Conformist, or a cut-jean-wearing, tatted, pot-smoking Phony Non-Conformist.
    This is about the best way i've ever heard OM students described. Perfect and true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ETDawg View Post
    Support her fully in whatever college she chooses. End of story!!!
    This is just crazy unless you are rich enough for it to not matter. My kids can go wherever they want, but if they want me to help, they can go to a state school other than Ole Miss, they can go to any school that they get enough aid to be essentially the same cost as a state school, or they can go MIT, Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

Supporting kids in whatever college they choose is how you get people going $60k in debt to get an undergrad degree from a school like vanderbilt, or even worse, Milsaps or taking on $25k in debt to go to say Auburn when they could go to an instate school for free.