Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed.

vCash
    She can make cheerleader at MSU. Cheerleaders, football players, recruits, recruiting weekends w/benefits.....just saying you and your wife don't want her around that atmosphere, plus she really doesn't look good in those particular colors.

vCash
    Nope. I will support my girls in most any decision in life that they make, but that is one decision I would never support. If they want to go to Oxford, they better get a full ride and an expense account from the Network. None of their Daddy's money will ever go to that sham of an institution. End of discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    Nope. No boy worth that and will be cheering for a horrible team. Has she looked at bama? #betterthanbears.
    BTW -mine chose MC over State and I was still crushed. My family alumni situation is like yours and goes back 4 generations.
    When my son was a junior in HS around 2010, I talked to him about going to Bama (it has been tough being a State fan since 1980) and also told him he could go to OM if he had friends who were going there. He chose State. I found out later that he had actually applied to Bama and was accepted.

vCash
    You have two choices.

1. You shame her into going to somwhere else.

2. You compromise. She can go to OM but has to marry a state guy. This happens all the time, including my wife (who grew up in a state family like your daughter). She will be happier and your grandkids will have a chance in hell.

vCash

vCash
    Say you're on your own money wise if you go to ole miss.

vCash
    I'll just tell you how it is with cheering, ball, etc. It's not worth it for girls. Mine turned down three D1 softball offers to go to school where her major is. Don't chase that stuff. And don't follow friends. Cheering won't pay the bills.

vCash
    And I remember what I was like as a senior in high school- I wanted to go to Tennessee because they were good in football- Peyton was the QB then and we would have been in school at the same time- and I went to church camp every year in the Smokies and I really liked it. I also applied to Alabama- my family is kind of weird because all of my family members either went to MSU or Alabama. And when I say went to Alabama I mean they actually went to school there and got degrees- they're not just "fans who cheer for the football team". But what's weird is there are no Ole Miss alumni or fans in my family.

Among those three and the other option which I didn't want to do- Holmes CC- I chose MSU. I didn't get enough scholarship money to go to UT or Alabama so MSU just made a lot more sense to me plus I loved the baseball program- which was and is better than Alabama or Tennessee's.

All of that is to say much like football recruiting- there is a long way to go and she could very well change her mind between now and then and still go to MSU. I was and still am a huge MSU fan but even I looked at other schools.

vCash
    *downer post*
    I don't know the right answer, but from experience...it absolutely sucks in the years post college to have your family split on gameday. We used to all tailgate together and then split due to some family going to OM and it's not been the same. We don't all go the same place on Saturdays any more, and we gave up on tailgating during egg bowls after a few contentious years. I'm sure some families pull it off better than us, but it really just makes me sad to think about what could've been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'll just tell you how it is with cheering, ball, etc. It's not worth it for girls. Mine turned down three D1 softball offers to go to school where her major is. Don't chase that stuff. And don't follow friends. Cheering won't pay the bills.
    Honestly, I think your best route nowadays to get a full ride is to play football. Baseball- we all know about that. Basketball- only 2-5 sign per class making the odds REALLY slim for anyone. Band- buys books and gets you branded as a nerd the rest of your life. But football has 85 scholarships and there are a lot of skill sets needed for a team so mathematically you have a better chance at a full ride.

vCash
    LOle Miss won't be having much to cheer for in the coming seasons. Is she sure she wants to go though that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.
    Thoughts??
    Good Sir, this is a time for prudence and sensibility. Consider this ancient wisdom:

"If you love something set it free. If it comes back - it's yours. If not, it was never meant to be. If it goes to Ole Miss, you must disown thee".

Banned
    vCash
    Have you point blank asked her why she wants to go to shitbird U? I may be able to deal with it somewhat if she was a daughter who cared less about football but if it was my son whom I've been taking to MSU games for a decade and he pulled that shit I'd take his ass out behind the barn and make him wish he'd never been born.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    My dad went to State, my 3 older brothers went to State. All of their wives went to State but one. I went to State. My wife went to State. My niece, 2 nephews, and her husband went to State. I have had 5 English Bulldogs. I am past president of an MSU alumni association. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. Everyone that knows me would agree that I'm passionate about my Bulldogs.

Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.

Thoughts??
    Let her go.....she will come home. No doubt.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Honestly, I think your best route nowadays to get a full ride is to play football. Baseball- we all know about that. Basketball- only 2-5 sign per class making the odds REALLY slim for anyone. Band- buys books and gets you branded as a nerd the rest of your life. But football has 85 scholarships and there are a lot of skill sets needed for a team so mathematically you have a better chance at a full ride.
    All this presupposes that you have a bit of athletic ability.

vCash
    One of my 3 went to USM ( Mustard Birds) and the rest went MSU. He had a full ride, so I could not bitch. He still a bulldog at heart. I just had to endure and support. Even bought a tent and chairs for tailgating. The agony, but he is my son.

vCash
    Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciate it. Great group of folks on this site. Will keep you updated.
    Until then

HailState.

vCash
    Is she afraid of large crowds.

Is so....I understand.

vCash
    Just ask her if she likes to watch football or not. One is going to be playing fun, competitive football while she's there, the other one will not.

vCash
    My honest opinion, what does she want to major in? Go to the US News college rankings for that department (i.e., google "US news rankings biology"). There are many programs that MSU flat out doesn't offer that TSUN might, unfortunately. Flip side, many programs that MSU has that are way better than TSUN. Anything in the sciences/engineering fields, she's almost guaranteed to be better at MSU. And if she chooses something that is better at TSUN, take her to visit schools that are better than TSUN in the same fields. My condo lenses on a tough decision.