Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Thanks for the Check"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I agree with playing the SWAC teams in state and neighboring states. They bring good bands and actually have traveling fanbases that will buy some of the tickets. It's a win win imo.
    This is true. And I would be fine with Southern or Grambling coming to MSU. Jackson State and Alcorn definitely bring good crowds to Starkville. I think Charleston Southern brought more football players than they did fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is true. And I would be fine with Southern or Grambling coming to MSU. Jackson State and Alcorn definitely bring good crowds to Starkville. I think Charleston Southern brought more football players than they did fans.
    It's a very small school, and I doubt football is one of their top priorities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I agree with playing the SWAC teams in state and neighboring states. They bring good bands and actually have traveling fanbases that will buy some of the tickets. It's a win win imo.
    I will never understand why people think those bands are any good. Give me corps style marching with musicality over park and bark any day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    I will never understand why people think those bands are any good. Give me corps style marching with musicality over park and bark any day.
    I'm right there with you. However, I've come to realize that it's a battle we're never going to win. Those bands come off as more entertaining to spectators who aren't musically-inclined, which are the vast majority of college football game attendees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I'm right there with you. However, I've come to realize that it's a battle we're never going to win. Those bands come off as more entertaining to spectators who aren't musically-inclined, which are the vast majority of college football game attendees.
    I actually don't think it's that. I think it's the SWAC teams and HBCU hype their bands up so much and talk them up that you hear the noise from their fans. Band is crazy at HBCU's. Their fans actually go to the games and watch the band and then a lot of them leave after halftime. They have these huge band contests and I've heard of people getting into fistfights at some of those things. I've also heard of some of the bands getting into fights with each other.

SEC band just isn't like that. You play the fight song and watch the game. Go to bowls and get money and travel around watching the team. SEC fans don't care that much- which is OK.

DCI is the best without question but not very many colleges can do stuff like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I actually don't think it's that. I think it's the SWAC teams and HBCU hype their bands up so much and talk them up that you hear the noise from their fans. Band is crazy at HBCU's. Their fans actually go to the games and watch the band and then a lot of them leave after halftime. They have these huge band contests and I've heard of people getting into fistfights at some of those things. I've also heard of some of the bands getting into fights with each other.

SEC band just isn't like that. You play the fight song and watch the game. Go to bowls and get money and travel around watching the team. SEC fans don't care that much- which is OK.

DCI is the best without question but not very many colleges can do stuff like that.
    That's more or less what I'm saying. In every aspect, they prioritize raw entertainment and effect. Power of suggestion has a lot to do with it as you said. It's a great product from an overall effect standpoint, but it doesn't take anyone musically knowledgeable long to figure out they're not very good in terms of quality. Another thing I've come to realize is that there's no reason to say that's wrong, since general entertainment is the ultimate goal of a college marching band anyway.

vCash
    Is the correct protocol simply to leave the opposing AD his money on the dresser in the locker room? We could check with Hugh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    We should schedule North Dakota State. Or maybe Western (or is it Central?) Michigan. Those are two pretty good FCS teams.
    I disagree, if we are going to play FCS schools which I have zero problem with we need to continue to play the types of teams we have. I don't want our starters to have to play any longer than needed in a game that doesn't mean anything. Last thing we need is a first team guy getting hurt against North Dakota State because the score was 35-17 going into the 4th qtr and we had to leave the starters in an extra series or two.

vCash
    "Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money"