Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey Destruction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash

Hurricane Harvey Destruction

To take a break from sports, especially it being a Sunday, we need to pray for all of those millions of people around Houston and the coast of Texas as catastrophic and deadly flooding is happening, and is only going to get worse over the next few days. We sit here far removed watching on TV and wondering what could we do to help. There will be Red Cross and many others, including our local churches, headed there in the next days and weeks. I plan to donate money to RC and anything else to local church to help those volunteers going there.

I know we have a lot of Dogs in the Houston area so if any of you can give us updates or let us know how we can help, please do so. Stay safe.

vCash
    Seen pictures on twitter of an interstate with at least ten feet of water on it.

vCash
    I've seen reports that they could get 15 to 30 inches more rain.

vCash
    This was the view out my front window last night before the next round of heavy rain came through:

The tree at the water line is a few feet set back from the curb. Luckily no water in the house, and we still have power.

Southwest Houston has taken it pretty rough.

vCash
    Definitely. Having been through this a little less than a year ago with both Hermine and Matthew, one of the things that keeps you going are friends checking in. Just knowing people out there care enough to touch base from hundreds of miles away provides a certain amount of calm and reassurance in a very stressful time.

vCash
    In San Antonio. Been lucky to not see the heavy rain they predicted. More to come and our soil is crap in terms of holding waiter. We are known as 'Flash Flood Alley'. Hopefully the now predicted 3-6 inches over the next four days holds true. I lived here once before in the late 90's. Saw a 100 year flood and it was not pretty. Prayers to all of you in Houston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    In San Antonio. Been lucky to not see the heavy rain they predicted.
    Yep so far we've dodged the bullet in SA. If Harvey had gone 50 miles farther West into the Hill Country there would have been even more catastrophic destruction to the East due to the flash flooding. Plus it would have made it even harder to evacuate the coast.
    Last edited by jdwhite; 08-28-2017 at 07:06 AM.

vCash
    IMG_0185.jpg

Saturday morning vs Sunday morning in Cypress TX. We just moved north some to higher ground.

vCash
    No problems here. Just hunkering down in the house. I'll be stir crazy tomorrow though.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Prayers for all y'all In the path. Went through Camille and Katrina so I know what you're going through. Stay safe!

Banned
    vCash
    Bump to see if we have anyone around Houston with updates. Missouri are you doing ok? It is horrible watching the news with all of these rescues taking place because it is so much water so rapidly!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Bump to see if we have anyone around Houston with updates. Missouri are you doing ok? It is horrible watching the news with all of these rescues taking place because it is so much water so rapidly!
    Thanks for asking. We are doing fine. My house in uncomfortably close to Cypres Creek so we evacuated yesterday to higher ground at the inlaws. The destruction is amazing. Still several feet to go until water gets in the house, though.

If anyone in the Cypress/Tomball area needs some help, DM me and I'll do what I can.

vCash
    So far we are good, but with the Corps of Engineers releasing water from 2 watershed reservoirs I'm getting nervous.

vCash
    Sending donation to Samaritans Purse, they will be there. They were here for months for our flooding in Louisiana the last couple of years.
    Prayers have been prayed with more coming.

vCash
    Spring Branch I can see the road again where my house is at. I'm staying with family up at lake Conroe, and the lake's risen a little more than 4'. There's supposed to be more rain tonight through Wednesday as Harvey meanders across Houston.

Last edited by csdawg13; 08-27-2017 at 09:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Sending donation to Samaritans Purse, they will be there. They were here for months for our flooding in Louisiana the last couple of years.
    Prayers have been prayed with more coming.
    Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....
    This! Find another organization to give too. They're nothing but problems.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    I remember talking with WWII vets, who said the Am. Red cross charged them for donuts and coke. In the meantime, the Salvation Army gave all that away for free.

In the aftermath of national emergencies, they took money that people gave them for that particular disaster and put it in their general operating fund.

If you gotta give, go with the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse, or your local church.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Been texting with SheltonChoked - he's in Cypress. He's high and dry for now, but is up to about 28-30" of rain so far.

vCash
    Update on the lake, it's up another foot (look at the fire pit):