Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Harvey Destruction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmid View Post
    32" of rain at my house in Huntsville, TX. not flooded (yet).
    I have a flight Friday to Jackson for the game but IAH is closed until further notice.
    Can you fly out of another airport? DFW or San Antonio maybe?

vCash
    This reminds me sadly of the Easter Flood of Jackson back in 1979, and then think of how much worse this has to be (12 inches in 6 hours over Louisville then, looking at 4x that in Houston). I've got my contribution to the Red Cross on the way and hopefully down the line we'll have more chances to help those who helped our home state after Katrina...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejlector84sports View Post
    This reminds me sadly of the Easter Flood of Jackson back in 1979, and then think of how much worse this has to be (12 inches in 6 hours over Louisville then, looking at 4x that in Houston). I've got my contribution to the Red Cross on the way and hopefully down the line we'll have more chances to help those who helped our home state after Katrina...
    My experience with the Red Cross in a disaster was that they were there for the TV cameras. When the cameras left so did they. They did very little.

vCash
    We are down in League City and have been very fortunate. We lost power for about 36 hours, but the water never even came in our driveway.

Unfortunately, can say the same for many friends and neighbors in the area. It's truly unbelievable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    My experience with the Red Cross in a disaster was that they were there for the TV cameras. When the cameras left so did they. They did very little.
    I sent money to Samaritans Purse, Franklin Grahams organization. They hung in West Monroe after the last flooding we had for several months. They helped people clean-up and rebuild.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I agree. I gave them a quick$50 but more direct impact happens through local churches with every resource going to the victims. It's been great to see the outpouring from everyone form MS to south LA, giving money and some heading over to Houston this weekend to help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    I agree. I gave them a quick$50 but more direct impact happens through local churches with every resource going to the victims. It's been great to see the outpouring from everyone form MS to south LA, giving money and some heading over to Houston this weekend to help.
    That's the way it was in my experience. The churches did more than anyone outside the Federal government.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Sending donation to Samaritans Purse, they will be there. They were here for months for our flooding in Louisiana the last couple of years.
    Prayers have been prayed with more coming.
    Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....
    This! Find another organization to give too. They're nothing but problems.

vCash
    Texas Baptist Men is another good organization

vCash
    Now that Harvey is about to wind down, all attention turns to Irma. Already a Cat 3, many models are taking it up to a solid 5 before weakening some. Track is still uncertain. The GFS takes it close to NC but the euro steers it into the Gulf so anyone from New Orleans to Cape Hattaras needs to stay on top of things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Now that Harvey is about to wind down, all attention turns to Irma. Already a Cat 3, many models are taking it up to a solid 5 before weakening some. Track is still uncertain. The GFS takes it close to NC but the euro steers it into the Gulf so anyone from New Orleans to Cape Hattaras needs to stay on top of things.
    Damn you are right, that thing is going to put a hurtin on somebody.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    I remember talking with WWII vets, who said the Am. Red cross charged them for donuts and coke. In the meantime, the Salvation Army gave all that away for free.

In the aftermath of national emergencies, they took money that people gave them for that particular disaster and put it in their general operating fund.

If you gotta give, go with the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse, or your local church.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ETDawg View Post
    Texas Baptist Men is another good organization
    But what about the Joel Osteen Relief fund? His cash flow is going to take a major hit if he can't hold services this Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    But what about the Joel Osteen Relief fund? His cash flow is going to take a major hit if he can't hold services this Sunday.
    Don't get me started on the "feel-good pulpit orator".

(but did see that Tyler Perry gave his "church" $250K )