Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we have a MAYMAC thread tonight? Anybody dropping the $100?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    12 rounds is a lot tougher than 3. Connor did last longer than I expected, though...but I do think that had more to do with Floyd.
    A guy who has never ever boxed basically goes he distance and was even for the vast majority of the fight with the "greatest ever". Give me a break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Enjoy your win
    Don't be like that, lol. I'm indifferent to either of these guy's legacies. You don't have to be passive aggressive, 61.

I'm not sure about about the 5-5, though. Connor was more aggressive at the start. He through more punches. But that's the different between boxing and MMA. Endurance and patience matters a **** ton, dude. It is what it is. Punching yourself out is not a great strategy when you're up against a great defensive boxer.

vCash
    Don't be like that, lol. I'm indifferent to either of these guy's legacies. You don't have to be passive aggressive, 61.

I'm not sure about about the 5-5, though. Connor was more aggressive at the start. He through more punches. But that's the different between boxing and MMA. Endurance and patience matters a **** ton, dude. It is what it is. Punching yourself out is not a great strategy when you're up against a great defensive boxer.
    George Foreman agrees....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Mayweather would have gotten his ass kicked had he went up against a legit contender tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    George Foreman agrees....
    This guy gets it^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Mayweather would have gotten his ass kicked had he went up against a legit contender tonight.
    Probably true. He didn't look great, but he was good enough to beat a guy who wasn't a boxer.

Banned
    vCash

Not being like that just think you're selling McGregor way short. He forced Mayweather to fight a totally different style than he's done previously in 49 other matches. He went 10 rounds with him and never left his feet. That's impressive. He was definitely winning on the scorecard through 5 rounds just never landed the knockout punch he needed to win this fight. He was never winning if it went 10 rounds.

vCash
    Not being like that just think you're selling McGregor way short. He forced Mayweather to fight a totally different style than he's done previously in 49 other matches. He went 10 rounds with him and never left his feet. That's impressive. He was definitely winning on the scorecard through 5 rounds just never landed the knockout punch he needed to win this fight. He was never winning if it went 10 rounds.
    No offense taken, dude. I agree totally with you that it was impressive that Connor lasted as long as he did. However, I think that was also part of Floyd's strategy. He hardly threw any punches in the first 2 or 3 rounds, and just sat back and let Connor punch himself out. Floyd knew Connor was going to be aggressive. He knew if he waited him out, Connor would be exhausted. That's the difference between boxing and Coliseum gladiator fighting. Chess, not checkers.

I agree though, Connor put on a good showing tonight. That being said....this whole thing was a giant money grab. What's next? Rachel Ray going to challenge Gordon Ramsay to a "chef-off"?

vCash
    He forced Mayweather to fight a totally different style than he's done previously in 49 other matches.
    That fight was vintage Mayweather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    A guy who has never ever boxed basically goes he distance and was even for the vast majority of the fight with the "greatest ever". Give me a break.
    Lots of wrong in this post, Roy.

vCash
    Lots of wrong in this post, Roy.
    Nah, name another sport where an amateur can go toe to toe with the sports greatest ever?

Mac goes 10 rounds and I still winning through half of those. Reverse the sports and floured doesn't last 10 seconds. That's my point. Boxing is a joke. This was a black eye for boxing If anything.

Can't wait to see the worlds ping pong champion Force a 5th set with Federer.

vCash
    Nah, name another sport where an amateur can go toe to toe with the sports greatest ever?

Mac goes 10 rounds and I still winning through half of those. Reverse the sports and floured doesn't last 10 seconds. That's my point. Boxing is a joke. This was a black eye for boxing If anything.

Floyd isn't the greatest ever.....so that's one thing.

Also, this whole "if this was MMA" shit needs to stop. NO SHIT, dude. It's a totally different sport.

vCash
    Funny analogy, lol...but it wasn't that significant. The strategy was obvious, and it worked.

vCash
    A lot of people are acting like this was supposed to be a serious boxing match... I think of it as more a lucrative exhibition-type boxing match...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    McGregor just proved he can jab. If he had the ability to actually swing, he may have had a chance. Not much of a chance thoug, as I think Mayweather was toying with him the whole time. Money didn't start actually fighting until the 4th round.

I too appreciate the links posted, as this was better than the Mayweather/Pacquiano debacle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    A lot of people are acting like this was supposed to be a serious boxing match... I think of it as more a lucrative exhibition-type boxing match...

Banned
    vCash
    Says a lot when a man goes ten rounds in his first fight ever and never gets knocked down vs one of the best ever whose fought 50 matches and been boxing his entire life. You can't give McGregor respect for that you just don't like him or you don't like an MMA fighter trying to beat a pro boxer.

vCash
    Says a lot when a man goes ten rounds in his first fight ever and never gets knocked down vs one of the best ever whose fought 50 matches and been boxing his entire life. You can't give McGregor respect for that you just don't like him or you don't like an MMA fighter trying to beat a pro boxer.
    I'm not disrespecting Connor. He fought a good fight. He lasted longer than most expected. However, he played directly into Floyd's strategy for the fight (as Tusk mentioned earlier, see Ali/Foreman). He looked strong at the beginning precisely because he was the aggressor, and Floyd was on the defense (by choice). Floyd still landed more total punches, more power punches, etc. He just waited him out.

Truth be told, I expected this fight to go the distance, because that's how Floyd fights. Floyd is boring as **** to watch. He just is. I known it's all about defense and counter punches with him, and that's where he's made his money, but the sport of boxing is different now, compared to 20 years ago. Plus, Floyd is 40 ****ing years old, and word out of his camp, is that he hasn't been treating this as seriously as past bouts....which isn't surprising to me.

Banned
    vCash
    A more accurate comparison would be if the world's ping pong champion forced a 5th set with John McEnroe. Whether Floyd was the greatest ever or not, he is still about 5 years over the hill (at minimum) from what he used to be. People saying an amateur took on "the greatest ever" keep ignoring that fact. Floyd is undefeated and will stay undefeated because he is not going to fight anyone he knows he can't handle at his current age. Tonight was a just a cash grab for him, just like everyone said all along.

Banned
    vCash
    McGregor landed 30 more punches than Manny Pacquiao did vs Floyd in 2 1/2 fewer rounds. Respect