Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Tico's or Shapleys

vCash

OT - Tico's or Shapleys

Can I wear shorts in either?

vCash
    1. I like Tico's the best. One of the top 3 steaks I've had anywhere.

2. I think you could probably get away with wearing shorts and a collared shirt with loafers, but I would wear pants. You will probably be the only one in there wearing shorts.

vCash
    You can definitely wear shorts in Tico's. I haven't been to Shapley's in several years.

vCash
    I'd vote Shapley's out of those two but it's been a couple of years since I've been to either

vCash
    Now this a great question......both are excellent fillets, strips or ribeyes.

That dark Shapley's steak sauce is special.

Either way - it all starts with a great piece of meat - placed in a damn hot oven!

Enjoy.

vCash
    Eat there 2 or 3 times per month. Shorts are no problem

vCash
    Nothin' sets off the flavors of a steak like some ketchup.....also, make sure you get your steak cooked well done. If it's good enough for the Prez, we should all do it.**

vCash
    Shapley's and it is not even close. Tico's used to be good, actually very good, but not anymore.

Shapley's bone in Ribeye & Strip are both excellent, as are all of their steaks but those 2 are my favorites.

vCash
    I prefer Tico's, primarily due to the atmosphere. Both have great food, but Tico's is much more laid back and they make a hell of a stiff drink (Shapleys may make a good drink too, but Ticos definitely does). I definitely wouldn't wear shorts to Shapleys....I probably wouldn't to Tico's either, but if you're gonna wear them, you're much less likely to feel out of place at Tico's.

vCash
    Both are good. Tico's is more good ole boy scotch and cigar atmosphere while shapley's is more business meeting upscale. Ruth Chris has been killer consistent my last 2 trips. Any of the 3 you'll have a great steak and a good time.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Isn't Tico's an OM establishment?

I know Shapley's is true maroon.

Not that it matters. Or does it?

eta....I'm sure Kobe Jones would tell you to go to Shapley's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdog View Post
    Can I wear shorts in either?
    Shapley's by a million miles. Quality of the food is better. I've had one decent steak at Tico's, but every steak I've had at Shapleys has been excellent. Tico's doesn't salt the steak near enough for me. Another steak place is Ely's run by the owners of Shapleys. It's a more laid back atmosphere, but the food is just as good. I've seen shorts at both, but Tico's is more casual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Nothin' sets off the flavors of a steak like some ketchup.....also, make sure you get your steak cooked well done. If it's good enough for the Prez, we should all do it.**
    Not defending Trump on eating steak well done, but his predecessor did admit to eating (and enjoying) dog. So I reluctantly go with Trump on this one?!?!

ETA... Based on the last times at either place, I would go with Shapley's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkman Turner Overdrive View Post
    Not defending Trump on eating steak well done, but his predecessor did admit to eating (and enjoying) dog. So I reluctantly go with Trump on this one?!?!

ETA... Based on the last times at either place, I would go with Shapley's.
    Lol, valid point. Obama also drank Bud Light, so he's got plenty to answer for, too.

vCash
    Lol, valid point. Obama also drank Bud Light, so he's got plenty to answer for, too.
    Absolutely! No more Beer Summits. Only Craft Beer Summits!

vCash
    Doe's Eat Place, East County Line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Excellent choice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    My lady had a client who shipped us a bucket of Doe's tamales not long ago....I grew up in Greenville, but it's been probably 20 something years since I had them. It was nice having a taste of MS up in Massholedom....even for just a moment, lol.

vCash
    Shapleys, Walkers, Doe's and then Ticos in the that order for a steak in Jackson

vCash
    two sarcastrics are not enough for this blasphemous statement...