Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woolly Thread - There Appears to Be Disconnect with MSU's Football Team

vCash

Woolly Thread - There Appears to Be Disconnect with MSU's Football Team

This was the conversation on the B&B show this morning & I found it intriguing.

A few days ago Barrett Sallee was interviewing Booger McFarland about Nick Fitzgerald & Booger made the following statements.

- Fitz will be top 2 to 3 QB in SEC

- Fitz will rush for 1,000 yards (rushed for 1,375 last year)

- Fitz will have 3,500 passing yards (Passed for 2,423 yards last year. I think 3,500 is too much. Will probably be around 2,700 - 3,000)

- Fitz will have 40 to 50 TDs (Last year Fitz had 21 pass TDs & 16 rush TDs for total of 37 TD)

- MSU will be a 6-6 to 7-5 team

Now here is where things get exciting:

MSU lost 4 games in 2016 by 7 points or less. I realize the schedule is more difficult this season, but, unless MSU's defense is dramatically worse in 2017 than 2016 or we have massive amounts of injuries, it's virtually impossible for Fitz to put up numbers similar to what Booger said & only win 6 or 7 games. If Fitz puts up those type of numbers we are likely at least an 8 win team.

We saw a similar situation a few years ago when Dak was named 1st team all-SEC preseason QB but MSU was picked last. It didn't add up then & it doesn't add up now.

"I haven't spent much time studying Fitzgerald, but his name has come up several times in my conversations with NFL scouts. In fact, every single one of them told me the Mississippi State signal caller is the best quarterback in the SEC. He posted impressive rushing numbers last fall and has prototypical size/athleticism. He's improving as a passer and scouts believe he has a very high ceiling in that department. I'm anxious to dig in and study his play this fall. Fitzgerald could be the breakout star in the SEC, if not the entire country."
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-22-2017 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    Who is that quote from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Who is that quote from?
    I said it on another board**

vCash
    Who is that quote from?
    I assumed it was Nick, himself, talking in 3rd person, obviously...**

vCash
    Who is that quote from?
    From this article on Seccountry.com
    http://https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/nfl-scouts-agree-nick-fitzgerald-best-qb-sec/amp
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 08-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This was the conversation on the B&B show this morning & I found it intriguing.

A few days ago Barrett Sallee was interviewing Booger McFarland about Nick Fitzgerald & Booger made the following statements.

- Fitz will be top 2 to 3 QB in SEC

- Fitz will rush for 1,000 yards (rushed for 1,375 last year)

- Fitz will have 3,500 passing yards (Passed for 2,423 yards last year. I think 3,500 is too much. Will probably be around 2,700 - 3,000)

- Fitz will have 40 to 50 TDs (Last year Fitz had 21 pass TDs & 16 rush TDs for total of 37 TD)

- MSU will be a 6-6 to 7-5 team

Now here is where things get exciting:

MSU lost 4 games in 2016 by 7 points or less. I realize the schedule is more difficult this season, but, unless MSU's defense is dramatically worse in 2017 than 2016 or we have massive amounts of injuries, it's virtually impossible for Fitz to put up numbers similar to what Booger said & only win 6 or 7 games. If Fitz puts up those type of numbers we are likely at least an 8 win team.

We saw a similar situation a few years ago when Dak was named 1st team all-SEC preseason QB but MSU was picked last. It didn't add up then & it doesn't add up now.

"I haven't spent much time studying Fitzgerald, but his name has come up several times in my conversations with NFL scouts. In fact, every single one of them told me the Mississippi State signal caller is the best quarterback in the SEC. He posted impressive rushing numbers last fall and has prototypical size/athleticism. He's improving as a passer and scouts believe he has a very high ceiling in that department. I'm anxious to dig in and study his play this fall. Fitzgerald could be the breakout star in the SEC, if not the entire country."
    I would temper the passing expectations a tad but other than that I think the rest is possible. I agree, I think he will be closer to the 2,700 yd mark. If he rushes for 1k and throws for over 3k I think we definitely win 8 games with an outside shot at 9 or 10. Those would be some insane numbers for this league. I am not sure he has the tools around him to get in the 3500 yd ballpark.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I assumed it was Nick, himself, talking in 3rd person, obviously...**
    Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Yes, there is disconnect but there is also disconnect amongst our own fan base. How quickly some us forgot how easily we could have won 8 games last year with a shit defense and first year starting Soph QB.

If our defense marginally improves and Fitz has only 75% the jump Dak had from Soph to Jr seasons, we should expect nothing less than 8 wins. Fitz at end of Soph year was leaps and bounds ahead of Dak after liberty bowl. Just based on QB development under Mullen dating back to MiniLee and Ralph, why would anyone expect anything less than the improvements we have seen under previous QB's. Plus this year we aren't splitting 1st team reps into late September.

Just as with every other year, people look for more reasons to say we will suck than look at the best QB on the SEC on our roster. Barring a rash of injuries, I see no reason we should not win 7 minimum and will have at minimum 50-/59 chance in all games but Bama and Auburn.

vCash
    Fitz passes for 3.5K, rushes for 1K & has 40-50 tds and NO WAY MSU doesn't win at least 10 games. *

*(small 'if' .. D has to be somewhat improved)
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Yes, there is disconnect but there is also disconnect amongst our own fan base. How quickly some us forgot how easily we could have won 8 games last year with a shit defense and first year starting Soph QB.

If our defense marginally improves and Fitz has only 75% the jump Dak had from Soph to Jr seasons, we should expect nothing less than 8 wins. Fitz at end of Soph year was leaps and bounds ahead of Dak after liberty bowl. Just based on QB development under Mullen dating back to MiniLee and Ralph, why would anyone expect anything less than the improvements we have seen under previous QB's. Plus this year we aren't splitting 1st team reps into late September.

Just as with every other year, people look for more reasons to say we will suck than look at the best QB on the SEC on our roster. Barring a rash of injuries, I see no reason we should not win 7 minimum and will have at minimum 50-/59 chance in all games but Bama and Auburn.
    We will beat Auburn. Maltzahn can't coach a qb how to poor piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Stiedham is going to flop hard, like every other Maltzahn QB

vCash
    I'm not going to put unrealistic expectations on Fitz. People forget than when we were pass first with Holloway at RB, he was horrible throwing the ball. Incredibly inconsistent & unsure. When Mullen started running Aeris and using Fitz in the running game, it opened up passing lanes for Fitz which made him a more effective thrower. Basically, playing to his strengths made him an effective passer. Fitz has a long long long way to go to reach Dak's senior year passing effectiveness and skill level. What I'm not going to assume is that it's a given Fitz makes the same jumps Dak made going in to his junior and senior years. Mullen's record as a developer certainly says it's possible but I'm not putting my expectation on Fitz that he's as driven as Dak who took over the NFL as a rookie. Dak's passing completion % went 58, 61, 66. Dak's td/int ratio went 10/7, 27/11, 29/5. Fitz was 54% and 21/10. The stat I'm going to watch to quantify Fitz's progression as a QB to Dak's will be completion % against ranked opponents. Dak's jr year it was 59%. Fitz's was 42% last year. If we see Fitz jump in to Dak's realm in that statistic, I'll be prepared to put a high level of expectations on him.

vCash
    If Fitz accounts for 50 TD, then we're scoring 40 pts a game as others like Aries and the RBs will give another 10 TDs not counting any defensive scores or kick & punt returns for scores. If we are scoring 40 puts a game, we will again be one of the biggest surprises in the nation and pushing 9-10 wins.

If Fitz accounts for 50 TD, then he's in a Heisman finalist in early December.

vCash
    If at least
    Donald Gray = Chad Bumphis
    + Keith Mixon = Michael Carr
    + Jordan Thomas = Malcolm Johnson
    + Aeris Williams = Vick Ballard

Then Mullen will produce offense.

Can Grantham's Defense = Diaz or Collin's ?

I don't see anything that isn't possible or able to be be exceeded.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Fitz passes for 3.5K, rushes for 1K & has 40-50 tds and NO WAY MSU doesn't win at least 10 games. *

*(small 'if' .. D has to be somewhat improved)
    ...and he'd being in NYC at the end of the year too...

vCash
    I was just content to sit back and enjoy umw's misery now after reading all this, I can't wait for football to kickoff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    We will beat Auburn. Maltzahn can't coach a qb how to poor piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Stiedham is going to flop hard, like every other Maltzahn QB
    Stidham may be a good QB by our game with AU. But I kinda see Clemson giving everyone the plan on stopping him early on. AU will have a solid D so I look for our game to be low scoring. It may come down to a field goal...yikes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I would temper the passing expectations a tad but other than that I think the rest is possible. I agree, I think he will be closer to the 2,700 yd mark. If he rushes for 1k and throws for over 3k I think we definitely win 8 games with an outside shot at 9 or 10. Those would be some insane numbers for this league. I am not sure he has the tools around him to get in the 3500 yd ballpark.
    This is a good statement. He will need some legitimate outside targets to develop in game 1 and 2 or those passing numbers will be much lower. Also, he had better pass waaaaaaaaay better than he did in the Spring Game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I think the general thought is that Malzahn doesn't have to develop Stidham--Art Briles did that for him.

Banned
    vCash
    Rumors of injuries coming out of fall camp have led me to adjust my win total down to 6 or 7 in the regular season. Also, I keep going back to the last real game we played in the bowl where we looked like garbage and Fitz underwhelming in the spring game. I don't care if it is only an open scrimmage. 4 ints is bad anytime. I'm less wooly now than ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Rumors of injuries coming out of fall camp have led me to adjust my win total down to 6 or 7 in the regular season. Also, I keep going back to the last real game we played in the bowl where we looked like garbage and Fitz underwhelming in the spring game. I don't care if it is only an open scrimmage. 4 ints is bad anytime. I'm less wooly now than ever.
    Apply liberally.***