Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woolly Thread - There Appears to Be Disconnect with MSU's Football Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    ...and he'd being in NYC at the end of the year too...
    Giants should be about ready for a new QB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    I will be too, but I don't see us beating AU @ AU, UGA @ UGA, and TAMU in Kyle Station or Arky at Arky. We are not beating Bama.
    We win all 4 ooc plus U.K. And OM
    Would be horribly disappointing to not win at least 1 of these. Our B+ game likely gives us a greater than 60% chance to beat UGA, TAMU, & Arky. To not play a B+ in at least one those would be pathetic. I can't imagine that all three of those teams will play well against us

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Is it because Fitz was 0-4 to start the day? Fitz is a good QB. One of the best in the conference, but let's be reasonable. The offense sputtered at times even with him at the helm.
    Fitz went 0-3 against USA. With a receiving corp that wanted a different QB. Fred Ross wanted a different QB all year and his attitude impacted performances, or lack there of, cost him a draft pick.

Come on people. Let's see the entire picture and not that which we wish to remember.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Fitz went 0-3 against USA. With a receiving corp that wanted a different QB. Fred Ross wanted a different QB all year and his attitude impacted performances, or lack there of, cost him a draft pick.

Come on people. Let's see the entire picture and not that which we wish to remember.
    What we wish to remember? Why would I want to remember Fitz playing poorly. He's the second best QB we've had in the Mullen era to date and top two in school history. I hope Fitz does so well that he leaves after this year, because that means he is a first rounder. No, I want Fitz to dominate. I was just saying there were times our crappy play wasn't on D.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    D did their job vs South Alabama and BYU. We still lost those games. D did their job vs LSU- lost that game. Our offense struggled alot last year whether people want to admit it or not. Our offense finished 7th in the SEC despite playing alot of weak defenses last year.
    South Alabama finished 92 in scoring offense and 82 in total offense last year. They averaged 25 points per game on the year and we allowed them to score 21. We probably should have blown them out.

Our offense struggled when we were running a scatback up the middle. When Aeris took over the offense looked much better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    So Fitz hurdles into the end zone in OT at byu to give us a lead and all the defense had to do was fall on a fumble after a sack on byu next possession and game over but they couldn't get it done. Defense blows a 20 point second half lead to usa. Those 2 were on the defense as well as arky and uk.
    People forget this. And plays like that is why I never called for Fitz to be benched last year.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    People forget this. And plays like that is why I never called for Fitz to be benched last year.
    Ditto

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Would be horribly disappointing to not win at least 1 of these. Our B+ game likely gives us a greater than 60% chance to beat UGA, TAMU, & Arky. To not play a B+ in at least one those would be pathetic. I can't imagine that all three of those teams will play well against us
    Have you looked at our record on the road against those 3 teams? Historically speaking, the odds are overwhelming that we will definitely lose all 3.

We are something like 2-12 all time in the state of Arkansas.
    We are the only team in the West who hasn't won at Kyle Field since they joined the SEC (except Arkansas who plays them in Dallas every year, and they have wins there from the old Big 8 days).
    Haven't beaten UGA in Athens since like the 60's or 70's.

Our best chance is probably against A&M, but its still hard to say it would be even remotely unexpected for us to lose all 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Have you looked at our record on the road against those 3 teams? Historically speaking, the odds are overwhelming that we will definitely lose all 3.

We are the only team in the West who hasn't won at Kyle Field since they joined the SEC (except Arkansas who plays them in Dallas every year, and they have wins there from the old Big 8 days).

Our best chance is probably against A&M, but its still hard to say it would be even remotely unexpected for us to lose all 3.
    Of course you can look at this way and say Dan is 2-0 in his last 2 trips to arky which is more recent history.

vCash

Not sure what any of this has to do with this year.

vCash
    Of course you can look at this way and say Dan is 2-0 in his last 2 trips to arky which is more recent history.
    Damn, you just stomped on that narrative.

Banned
    vCash
    In two games that were basically toss ups in which we had to get a miracle blocked field goal and a 25 yard run from our 3rd string "locker room cancer" QB in OT against a 3-win team. Point is that we never play well up there.

Banned
    vCash
    Not sure what any of this has to do with this year.
    It doesn't. But how else are you going to set expectations of what is disappointing or not? I can say that it's disappointing if we don't beat Alabama this year and say the same thing you are saying, their 4 national titles, 3 straight CFP appearances, and current 9 game winning streak against us over the past decade doesn't have anything to do with this year.

vCash
    In two games that were basically toss ups in which we had to get a miracle blocked field goal and a 25 yard run from our 3rd string "locker room cancer" QB in OT against a 3-win team. Point is that we never play well up there.
    A win is a win, period. The fact is we have played well enough the last 2 trips to win there, doesn't matter how it just matters that you win.

Banned
    vCash
    A win is a win, period. The fact is we have played well enough the last 2 trips to win there, doesn't matter how it just matters that you win.
    My original reply to Shotgun was more aligned to his comment about us winning with our "B+" game. We never play our "B+" game up there. 2 years ago we gave up 50 points. 4 years ago we scored 17 in regulation and were taken to OT by a team that went winless in SEC play. We can go up there and play a C- or D+ game like the last two times up there and still scrap out a win if Ark also does the same or worse. But we shouldn't EXPECT that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Yes, there is disconnect but there is also disconnect amongst our own fan base. How quickly some us forgot how easily we could have won 8 games last year with a shit defense and first year starting Soph QB.

If our defense marginally improves and Fitz has only 75% the jump Dak had from Soph to Jr seasons, we should expect nothing less than 8 wins. Fitz at end of Soph year was leaps and bounds ahead of Dak after liberty bowl. Just based on QB development under Mullen dating back to MiniLee and Ralph, why would anyone expect anything less than the improvements we have seen under previous QB's. Plus this year we aren't splitting 1st team reps into late September.

Just as with every other year, people look for more reasons to say we will suck than look at the best QB on the SEC on our roster. Barring a rash of injuries, I see no reason we should not win 7 minimum and will have at minimum 50-/59 chance in all games but Bama and Auburn.
    ??? I may have watched the wrong game last year, but that was MSU playing Miami of Ohio in a bowl game last year? Right?

Fitz is a beast, and I have high expectations for him, but I don't think he is wear Dak was at this point. I think he was actually ahead of him but has simply not progressed as quickly, which most QBs are not going to see the kind of imporvement Dak did.

Banned
    vCash
    If Fitz can learn to take what the defense gives him and be more consistent with the underneath and short to intermediate passes, he will unstoppable. He has to learn that not every play has to be a SC highlight.

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    This was the conversation on the B&B show this morning & I found it intriguing.

A few days ago Barrett Sallee was interviewing Booger McFarland about Nick Fitzgerald & Booger made the following statements.

- Fitz will be top 2 to 3 QB in SEC

- Fitz will rush for 1,000 yards (rushed for 1,375 last year)

- Fitz will have 3,500 passing yards (Passed for 2,423 yards last year. I think 3,500 is too much. Will probably be around 2,700 - 3,000)

- Fitz will have 40 to 50 TDs (Last year Fitz had 21 pass TDs & 16 rush TDs for total of 37 TD)

- MSU will be a 6-6 to 7-5 team

Now here is where things get exciting:

MSU lost 4 games in 2016 by 7 points or less. I realize the schedule is more difficult this season, but, unless MSU's defense is dramatically worse in 2017 than 2016 or we have massive amounts of injuries, it's virtually impossible for Fitz to put up numbers similar to what Booger said & only win 6 or 7 games. If Fitz puts up those type of numbers we are likely at least an 8 win team.

We saw a similar situation a few years ago when Dak was named 1st team all-SEC preseason QB but MSU was picked last. It didn't add up then & it doesn't add up now.
    Thought this thread was worth a bump after Booger just picked us to go 5-7 on SECN. Let em' sleep on us. I'm getting more confident by the day. Great interview with Grantham on Bounds this morning, and I honestly believe our defense is set for one of the greatest 1 year improvements ever. Complete 180. Gonna be a fun year.