Thread: Do any of you own rotomolded coolers other than Yeti? What are your recommendations?

vCash

Do any of you own rotomolded coolers other than Yeti? What are your recommendations?

I want to get one, but I can't see spending what YETI wants for theirs, when there are other brands that are considerably cheaper. There are also some names on ebay that I have never heard of that look as good as YETI, but I'm not sure if they hold up. Advice is appreciated.

vCash
    We have RTIC cups and love them.. Have not broken down to purchase the cooler yet....

But Christmas is coming.....

vCash
    All rotomolded coolers are going to perform about the same. You pay for the brand.

vCash
    I've had Yetis and also now have an RTIC in the 20qt with handle style. It's not bad at all, but feels a little less well made than the YETIs (looser handle, slightly less sturdy, etc). BUT I got it for $99 when RTIC was dumping inventory during the YETI lawsuit. It's hard to beat for $99.

vCash
    I hate my yeti. It's not a beer cooler. Worst money I've ever spent. Will never buy another one. Holds ice for a day in the back of my truck. Also, if you are going in and out of it constantly for drinks, it's not going to work like needed. Evennovernigtnin my garage ice will melt between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I hate my yeti. It's not a beer cooler. Worst money I've ever spent. Will never buy another one. Holds ice for a day in the back of my truck. Also, if you are going in and out of it constantly for drinks, it's not going to work like needed. Evennovernigtnin my garage ice will melt between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
    Really? Sounds like you got a lemon. The cheapest coolers I own work better than that.

vCash
    I've owned a bunch of all types of coolers and have put them all to the test. I started getting rotomolded coolers a few years after I started making hunting trips out west (well before Yeti was a known name). The best of the best, imo, is Pelican but that's a bulky, heavy cooler. IF I was going to purchase another I would get a K2. I hunt with some guys that use them and they are really good. With that being said, I primarily own Yeti's but that is mostly a factor of availability (I've been able to get them at a significant discount over the years).

Here's the thing, it doesn't matter which brand you use, if you use it as a beer cooler and are in and out of it all the time it's not going to hold ice long. It's an insulated, air-tight space. If it gets hot it takes a long time to cool down. Conversely, get it cold and it holds the cold. You get a rotomolded cooler for durability. If you want a cooler that does a decent job holding ice but the intent is to be a "beer" cooler then get a Coleman Xtreme. If you want a cooler that makes it up and down the mountain 5-miles each way, every year for a decade then get a Yeti, an Engel, or a K2. Don't spend money on the off brands you'll still pay pretty good money but won't get the warranties.

vCash
    I have a K2 and a YETI. In my opinion, both are good. However, the trick is to "charge" them before use. Load with ice while they are empty, and let them sit for a few hours. Empty the water, load them up and ice everything down. Then you will get the multiple days of ice they talk about. Got to keep them closed and latched. The latching is so important for performance.

I have a RTIC cup that works great for hot coffee. Not too sure about cold beverages,,,,,I drink my beer way too fast to worry if it stays cold.

vCash
    I have a yeti 45 that I found on the side of the road, a pelican 20, an Engel 35, and a Bayou Ice Box 75, also had a Canyon 35 that was stolen. The Engel performs better than any of them, but, it doesnt perform as well as the Canyon that was stolen. The Canyon's are great, great coolers and considerably cheaper than a Yeti.