Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosebowl made a great point about OL

vCash

Rosebowl made a great point about OL

We ended up with 1 damn OL last year, yet we "dropped" Paul Gainer and he will likely start for USM as a True Freshman. That shit is 100% unacceptable. Mullen has done great things, getting Grantham is a sign of that....but until he finds somebody to do Hevesy's job on the recruiting trail, or replaces his ass....he is limiting his success and our success as MSU football by placing an uneccessary ceiling on the program.

And I know this is another Hevesy thread, so leave it if you don't like it. I had just forgotten Gainer, and hearing he's a potential 1st year starter at a decent program pissed me off again.

vCash
    It's just impossible to spin this for anything other than what it appears on the surface. It's just plain awful.

Banned
    vCash
    In addition, you can't convince me that Deon Mix wouldn't at least be able to help on our OL this season, if nothing else, a backup.

vCash
    You and Steve are right about Gainer, mistake.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

vCash
    So an OL we stopped recruiting is going to start as a true freshman? Just ****. Sure, it is USM/Conf. USA but just damn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    So an OL we stopped recruiting is going to start as a true freshman? Just ****. Sure, it is USM/Conf. USA but just damn.
    Yep. Makes you sick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    It might be USM o line is that bad and not that he is good.

vCash
    It's not just recruiting with Hevesy.

We should have redshirted Jamaal Clayborn- and really had TWO chances to do so and did not. He would be our starting center this year. And it would have kept by far our best looking side of an o-line intact for this upcoming year because Jenkins could have stayed at LG and Rankins would be at LT. And if I'm not mistaken the only reason that left side of the line came together was after injuries- I think Calhoun got hurt, so we moved Desper to RG where I thought he fit much better than the LG spot we had him at originally- caused us to move people around.

I don't like his method of trying everyone out at every position. If we have a 6'9" OT- is there any point in trying him out at center? It tells me he can't figure out where everyone fits based on evaluation. And even then he misevaluates until injuries cause corrections.

I also don't like his idea of an 8 man rotation. I'm pretty sure he is getting that from the NFL. But it makes sense to do that in the NFL because they only can carry 53 players or whatever it is. In college you can dress out something like 72- so it makes much more sense in college to have two complete lines ready. That way you don't have a guy that has to worry as much about "swinging" to both LG/RG and LT/RT where they have to spend time learning both and making them less effective overall.

vCash
    For those of you that watched the Dak vid made by the Cowboys, it had a section in there where Hev was talking about giving Dak hell as a recruit. The only difference is Dak took being called out for not being good motivated him. Most it would piss off. It would piss me off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    It might be USM o line is that bad and not that he is good.
    Or more than likely it was a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush situation. I believe we dropped him thinking we could get someone better. We should have only dropped him after we had gotten a sixth o-line commitment.

Also, if I remember there was an article about Gainer when he de-committed and he talked about how we just didn't call him. That sounds like Hevesy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    For those of you that watched the Dak vid made by the Cowboys, it had a section in there where Hev was talking about giving Dak hell as a recruit. The only difference is Dak took being called out for not being good motivated him. Most it would piss off. It would piss me off.
    That's the thing- some people that motivates them. Others it doesn't. A coach has to know what works with each individual player and motivate them the best way that works for all. I remember Bill Parcells talking about that one time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Or more than likely it was a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush situation. I believe we dropped him thinking we could get someone better. We should have only dropped him after we had gotten a sixth o-line commitment.

Also, if I remember there was an article about Gainer when he de-committed and he talked about how we just didn't call him. That sounds like Hevesy.
    The worst thing is dropping a player late in the game after you get another better player, If your looking for something better go ahead ant let that player know he doesn't have a committable offer. If you string players along till the last minute and drop them, folks will start calling you Ole Miss!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    In addition, you can't convince me that Deon Mix wouldn't at least be able to help on our OL this season, if nothing else, a backup.
    So we want a guy they couldn't be in the 2 deep at auburn ok???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    The worst thing is dropping a player late in the game after you get another better player, If your looking for something better go ahead ant let that player know he doesn't have a committable offer. If you string players along till the last minute and drop them, folks will start calling you Ole Miss!
    The idea is you keep what you have and then you don't drop them if you don't get anyone better. If it were me he was at least two or three guys from getting dropped. He still would have been able to go to USM at the last minute.

vCash
    My confusion on all this is that MSU football is no longer 9 coaches and a secretary.

We've got close to 40 people working in this corporation now. As much as I dislike Hevesey at times, the realist in me believes that this just can't all be on him.

There just has to be more to the story here. I can't imagine that Dan's organizational structure is set up in a way that would allow 1 coach to sabotage the company with incompetence.

My belief is this was a failure by a number people and an organizational flop.

vCash
    I've got a feeling Hevesy is kept is because he's the enforcer concerning team discipline. While we might have a ton of other coaches on staff that can recruit, I imagine an OL recruit would like to know who he is going to be his primary coach. Once they meet Hev, they're probably turned off by his "Yankeeniss". I've heard he's pretty abrasive to put it mildly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's the thing- some people that motivates them. Others it doesn't. A coach has to know what works with each individual player and motivate them the best way that works for all. I remember Bill Parcells talking about that one time.
    Mullen is a 7 to 9 win coach. He will never be any more than that because he won't do the things necessary to be elite. Biggest factor is he won't hold ALL of his coaches accountable. He holds the defensive coaches accountable but not the offensive coaches, chief among those being Hevesy. Getting Grantham was a GREAT move but that doesn't do squat for the fact that we don't have enough quality OL and WRs. Mullen also appears to care less if we have someone that can kick a FG.

vCash
    And a 10 win coach...

vCash
    I've got a better shot at the Powerball than seeing Hev hit the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Waves View Post
    I've got a feeling Hevesy is kept is because he's the enforcer concerning team discipline. While we might have a ton of other coaches on staff that can recruit, I imagine an OL recruit would like to know who he is going to be his primary coach. Once they meet Hev, they're probably turned off by his "Yankeeniss". I've heard he's pretty abrasive to put it mildly.
    He might be better served to stop trying to recruit and just be a professional coach. Stop trying to be their friend as a recruiter and coming off as weird, and just let them know you're the one that will make them better as a a player. Let a real recruiter be their friend.