Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would Hev be if he wasn't the MSU OL coach?

vCash
    He's told me he found Dak and urged Mullen to look at him based upon his football skills and leadership skills. They were actually looking at someone else when Hev recognized said skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msujan View Post
    He's told me he found Dak and urged Mullen to look at him based upon his football skills and leadership skills. They were actually looking at someone else when Hev recognized said skills.
    Careful....posting anything positive about Hev goes against the narrative of he is the worst coach ever at MSU. However, I do remember the time we ran off Bruce Arians as our OC.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Hev seems like once you are his guy then he might be ok to be around but you have to get used to the guy first. Recruiting is tough if you don't make that good connection right off the bat. Mullen also values Hev's opinion in game planning so they guy is probably valuable at that also. Mullen just needs to figure out how to keep Hev from hurting recruiting (if he actually does negatively impact it).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Hev knew his coach. We were on him before anyone else and that's how we got him.
    As I said he identified Dak. But Dan finished off his recruitment. Players are not recruited by just one person usually. You have the area recruiter and the position coach. At any rate, having a blind squirrel finding a nut moment is not a reason to keep a guy around forever. Especially when his position group is consistently under-recruited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Hev seems like once you are his guy then he might be ok to be around but you have to get used to the guy first. Recruiting is tough if you don't make that good connection right off the bat. Mullen also values Hev's opinion in game planning so they guy is probably valuable at that also. Mullen just needs to figure out how to keep Hev from hurting recruiting (if he actually does negatively impact it).
    Dan has done numerous things to try to work around Hevesy. The latest being to hire DJ Looney to help. The problem is in recruiting most players prefer to be close to whoever their potential position coach is going to be. And that's understandable. As long as he is the o-line coach we are going to struggle with recruiting o-linemen. The proof is in the pudding. The only two options that I see are to: 1. Make Hevesy the assistant head coach when the NCAA allows the extra assistant to be added. The problem with this of course is it basically puts us at one less on the field coach that can recruit and is still a disadvantage for us. 2. Move Hevesy to the Scott Sallach office position. He would still be on staff, could still hang out with Dan, game plan with Dan, and wouldn't have to recruit but we could replace him on the field with Looney at o-line coach, move Peterson to TE coach or add another elite recruiter, and then add an elite special teams coach to go along with Boniol in the front office as the kicking guru.

Option 2 would be preferable to me.

vCash
    In short: Hev is a fine on-the-field coach. Terrible recruiter--he's a liability. Helping to find Dak is great, but if he intends to live off the good graces of something he did 6 years ago, he's sorely mistaken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Careful....posting anything positive about Hev goes against the narrative of he is the worst coach ever at MSU. However, I do remember the time we ran off Bruce Arians as our OC.
    Did you really compare Hevesy to Bruce Arians? And FWIW I was against firing Arians at the time and thought it was a bad move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Whatever his advice is against Bama, then Dan should do the opposite. We could have the best Oline in the league and they'd still watch Bama's defense run to the qb. At least it looks that way every first half we play them.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Maybe Cohen can broker a deal with Louisville, the last one seemed to work in our favor.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    I could see Hev working in the Shipley kitchen over by The Lodge if Dan kicked him to the curb.

vCash
    Selling used cars in downtown Charlotte.

vCash
    Another vote for.... he discovered Dak. He is teflon as long as he is at State.

vCash
    back to the original topic by OP:

Roadie for Grateful Dead Tribute Band

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Mullen obviously doesn't want to let Hev go. I'm still surprised Sallach is gone. Maybe it's because they've been together so long or perhaps Mullen feels Hev's OL coaching is the secret sauce to his offense. Regardless at this point Mullen must know that Hev hasn't established a dynamic resume and would likely be professionally in trouble if he lost this job. So, where do you think Hev would land of canned by Mullen.

1) Inner city HS head coach that preaches tough love and hard work.///
    2) OL coach at service academy or similar school like the Citadel.
    No message
    Last edited by biggun; 08-22-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: http://pga-tour-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/t_headshots_leaderboard_l/headshots_27214.png

vCash
    The Catholics would never hire a Scientologist as their coach!**** (Remember when that was a thing? Sheesh!)
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Come in Dawg. He's got us Dak, Day and Fred Ross. That should buy him some respect right there.