Thread: Rough day fishing Horn

vCash

Rough day fishing Horn

At the chimney and everybody and their brother was there. Slow action on specks. White trout holes were just like the weather,,,,hot.

vCash
    I've said it a thousand damn times, ain't nothing wrong with white trout. I saw a report from a guide who fished horn who said trout was slow the other day but he hooked a tarpon on a croaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I've said it a thousand damn times, ain't nothing wrong with white trout. I saw a report from a guide who fished horn who said trout was slow the other day but he hooked a tarpon on a croaker.
    The good thing about white trout is that since it doesn't freeze well, you do the right thing and cook it immediately. I'm ashamed at the amount of good fish I've let ruin in a freezer. Even with specs, while they do fine in a freezer, there's a significant difference in how good they are once you freeze them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    The good thing about white trout is that since it doesn't freeze well, you do the right thing and cook it immediately. I'm ashamed at the amount of good fish I've let ruin in a freezer. Even with specs, while they do fine in a freezer, there's a significant difference in how good they are once you freeze them.
    The key to white trout is icing them down well in the box as soon as you catch them. Ice slushy bath is best. I freeze white trout regularly and don't have issues. Another thing you can't do with white trout is thawing them 90% and trying to pick them apart. In my experience when you handle them carefully from catch, cleaning table, and freeze/thaw you'll be fine.

ETA- To your other point, fresh white trout is great

vCash
    I heard about tarpon being caught there,,,,,,croakers just did not work Saturday. Gonna wait till it cools off to go again.

vCash
    We caught about close to 50 white trout,,,,, and they will be eaten tonight,,,,, save some the scales on for smoking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    We caught about close to 50 white trout,,,,, and they will be eaten tonight,,,,, save some the scales on for smoking.
    Nice. Some folks turn their nose up at certain fish and that's fine but I'm not that guy. I'll keep whites, Spanish, ground mullet, and bull croakers.

Just got a text from a friend that fished Horn and ran to FH2 over the weekend and got some snapper and bull reds.

vCash
    Actually while we was cleaning, a cat came in with some snapper he caught right on the line. I cut every throats and took with me....he was gonna feed the catfish with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    white trout... Ice slushy
    This for sure.