Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mullen's plan is starting to become evident...

vCash

Mullen's plan is starting to become evident...

We currently have 22 guys committed in the 2018 class, with a real chance to have 24-25 committed by the start of the season. We know that Mullen has been pushing for the early signing period for years. The 2018 signing class will be the first to have this option, with the early signing period being December 20-22, 2017. We will sign 25+ during this early period, and will only have to focus on a handful of guys in what is usually the most demanding month of recruiting, January. While all the other schools are using all of their time and resources on signing their big targets during January, we will be using the majority of our resources to be getting a leg up on the 2019 class.

This couldn't have come at a better time, as the 2019 in state class is arguably the best in Mississippi history. I think this is the plan from here on out. Mullen seems to be taking full advantage of the situation going on at Ole Miss. This 2017-2019 time frame seems to be the time where we can really take the next step from a consistent 6-7 win team, to a consistent 8-9 win team. Our program is in a position that it may have never been in before. We have the second longest tenured coach in the SEC, and a 7 year bowl streak. If we can finish the 2018 class strong, and use the next year and a half to work on what may end up being a historic 2019 class, the sky will be the limit on what this program can do in the future while OM is crippled by sanctions. Not to mention the fact that we have the most important position, quarterback, secured for the next half decade plus, with Key Thompson, Jalen Maden, and Jalon Jones.

Like Dan said back in 2009, there is one program in this state on the rise, and it's right here in Starkville. The future is bright.

vCash
    Great stuff, DD!

HailState

vCash
    These next 3 years are going to be fun times

vCash
    Damn dude, I'm gonna need to get the shears out now.

vCash
    Here here my good man!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by anubus View Post
    These next 3 years are going to be fun times
    If we play this right it can be a lot longer than three years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    The 2018 signing class will be the first to have this option, with the early signing period being December 20-22, 2017. We will sign 25+ during this early period, and will only have to focus on a handful of guys in what is usually the most demanding month of recruiting, January. While all the other schools are using all of their time and resources on signing their big targets during January
    While I admire the enthusiasm, this assumption is patently false.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHarbor View Post
    Which part is false?

We have 22 commits, currently the most in the SEC. The other 13 SEC teams have 15.7 commits, on average. This means from here until signing day, the other SEC teams will be spending more time on the 2018 class than we will need to.

vCash
    The part where "all the other schools spending their time and resources on signing their big targets in January." Big programs can adjust to the new rules too.

vCash
    Damn. A couple people with small posting totals throwing a lot of shade today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    Damn. A couple people with small posting totals throwing a lot of shade today.
    Lance is still rehabbing his knee injury from 1999.

vCash
    The part where "all the other schools spending their time and resources on signing their big targets in January." Big programs can adjust to the new rules too.
    I think the key is that whoever OM hires after the season will have to sign a 2018 class due to them have hardly any commits, while our class will already be signed and we'll be spending most of our time in the 2019 class.

OM isn't getting any good players anyway, but, by getting guys signed in the Dec and OM still trying to fill out a class, we'll be working a year ahead of them.

Banned
    vCash
    I got a boner!

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    We currently have 22 guys committed in the 2018 class, with a real chance to have 24-25 committed by the start of the season. We know that Mullen has been pushing for the early signing period for years. The 2018 signing class will be the first to have this option, with the early signing period being December 20-22, 2017. We will sign 25+ during this early period, and will only have to focus on a handful of guys in what is usually the most demanding month of recruiting, January. While all the other schools are using all of their time and resources on signing their big targets during January, we will be using the majority of our resources to be getting a leg up on the 2019 class.

This couldn't have come at a better time, as the 2019 in state class is arguably the best in Mississippi history. I think this is the plan from here on out. Mullen seems to be taking full advantage of the situation going on at Ole Miss. This 2017-2019 time frame seems to be the time where we can really take the next step from a consistent 6-7 win team, to a consistent 8-9 win team. Our program is in a position that it may have never been in before. We have the second longest tenured coach in the SEC, and a 7 year bowl streak. If we can finish the 2018 class strong, and use the next year and a half to work on what may end up being a historic 2019 class, the sky will be the limit on what this program can do in the future while OM is crippled by sanctions. Not to mention the fact that we have the most important position, quarterback, secured for the next half decade plus, with Key Thompson, Jalen Maden, and Jalon Jones.

Like Dan said back in 2009, there is one program in this state on the rise, and it's right here in Starkville. The future is bright.
    Great post.

Somewhat answers a question that popped into my mind earlier workin in the yard. When the notification of our latest 2019 commit I started thinking. Thinking about how long before Mullen takes the next step on the field with this program? How long does he have to start beating the LSU's and Bama's in conjunction with improving against the A&M/Auburn types.

Before you jump on me about Auburn being in the same category as LSU, Dan has had success against Auburn.

I mean when is dan going to start having consistent 9 win seasons with 10,11 and even some unprecedented 12 win seasons? Yes we play in a difficult division, but put this defensive talent and on the 2014 team and we may win it all. We e slowly been building and given our current QB success and situation, one can only safely assume that the other pieces will start coming to State.

Lastly, how long are we supporters going to be content waiting to see if Dn does take that next step? It appears he has taken that next step in recruiting and been rejuvenated by Cohen. Now he's got to take the next step on the field.

vCash
    I admire your enthusiasm also, but signing zero OL last year (that qualify), and only 2 JC OL, that will probably have to be redshirted, will not cut it in my opinion. We appear to be doing great everywhere else, but Mullen seems to ignore the OL every year, and until he shores that up, I believe that our getting to Atlanta is very improbable.

vCash
    I agree, the future looks bright for us. We should be cautious though. Is the OM machine just going to sit idle for the next few years? Are they going to stand by while we amass great recruiting classes? Keep in mind that for a few of their boosters (no, not all - I know many good and decent OM folks), their self worth hinges on being able to look down on others, to believe they are superior to someone, anyone. I expect the machine to be retooled to steer potential MSU recruits away to any other team. I expect them to spend large quantities of cash on private investigators to try and catch us cheating, and to hire others to create the appearance of cheating. They will stop at nothing to bring us down to their level, because the one thing they cannot abide is to not have someone they can sneer at so they can feel better about themselves.

vCash
    We have got to secure Mullen and Grantham. Do whatever it takes to maintain continuity as best we can, but we absolutely cannot lose Dan. These next few years are so big....pay the man whatever it takes to lock his ass down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I admire your enthusiasm also, but signing zero OL last year (that qualify), and only 2 JC OL, that will probably have to be redshirted, will not cut it in my opinion. We appear to be doing great everywhere else, but Mullen seems to ignore the OL every year, and until he shores that up, I believe that our getting to Atlanta is very improbable.
    Our top OL Suggs did qualify.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We have got to secure Mullen and Grantham. Do whatever it takes to maintain continuity as best we can, but we absolutely cannot lose Dan. These next few years are so big....pay the man whatever it takes to lock his ass down.

+1000

vCash
    Pay whatever it takes. The opportunity may never come again so we can't afford to **** it up
    1. Coaching stability
    2. Keep it clean and stay out of trouble