Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charles Moore just committed to MSU

vCash
    In all seriousness, with staff continuity over the next 5 years, I think it's possible for us to build a roster that's equivalent to about Auburn's roster as far as talent.

Difference is that Mullen is a better coach than Malzahn.

So, I'm not sure if Auburn's roster + Mullen makes us a playoff caliber program, but it gets us in the realm of potential candidates

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I think we are evolving into a Patriots type model with smaller more agile WRs and big athletic TEs. Just my opinion but we have been stockpiling big athletic TEs and smaller WRs. I like it because no one else in the conference is really doing and big TEs can be a matchup nightmare, plus it helps the run game.
    I don't disagree, but the problem with that philosophy at the college level are that it requires two things that are almost impossible to come by at the college level:

1. A QB with elite accuracy. The small WRs have less wing span & are smaller targets. You QB has to have NFL caliber accuracy

2. Practice time. So much of what the Pats do is based on WRs reading defenses & the QB being on the same page. I'm sure we do some of this type stuff, but probably not to the complexity that they do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't disagree, but the problem with that philosophy at the college level are that it requires two things that are almost impossible to come by at the college level:

1. A QB with elite accuracy. The small WRs have less wing span & are smaller targets. You QB has to have NFL caliber accuracy

2. Practice time. So much of what the Pats do is based on WRs reading defenses & the QB being on the same page. I'm sure we do some of this type stuff, but probably not to the complexity that they do.
    To a degree, yes however, the pats run a ton of seam routes to their TEs to stretch the field and open up
    Underneath routes. One of the easiest throws to make for a qb is the seam. I'm not saying we can run the pats offense at all but a scaled down version could be extremely effective. And don't think Dan hasn't picked up
    Some pointers from his relationship with Belichik.

vCash
    We had a chance to get ahead of them when Brewer got popped and we screwed it up due to our own stupidity, it's imperative that we do all we can to bury these pricks this time. We are gonna going to have a four to five year window depending on the outcome of things that are not yet public. We have a real chance to get all the top kids from the state and maybe a better chance of fighting of our sec brethren that will surly try to cherry pick players from our state. It's time, we need to get it done, no infighting or other bullshat like before we have to get together and get on with it. If we can there is a chance for something very special in our near future.

vCash
    Kaboom!!!!!

Between him and Jones, we are starting off huge for 2019.

Gonna be a top 15 to top 10 class
    It's almost impossible for us to have a top ten class. And hays not a bitch it's a fact. Heck I'm tickled w this class but it's more than likely not going to be top 20. Closer to 30 before it's over. And still in the bottom half of the league 8-10 range. But it's a really good class that I like, again.

vCash

I'm not suggesting we go all in with that I'm just saying mixing this with what we already do can be extremely
    effective. And this is just my opinion. Dan doesn't call me for advice lol

vCash
    I think you are over thinking this.

You arguing semantics. Put it this way, with a stable coaching staff, we have chance to build MSU into the best it's ever been over the next 5 years.
    Going forward, there is absolutely zero reason we can't be the Kansas State or Virginia Tech of the SEC, which is a team that is ALWAYS competitive, every other year competes for a spot in the top-10 or to-15.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It's almost impossible for us to have a top ten class. And hays not a bitch it's a fact. Heck I'm tickled w this class but it's more than likely not going to be top 20. Closer to 30 before it's over. And still in the bottom half of the league 8-10 range. But it's a really good class that I like, again.
    He's referring to the 2019 class not 2018. Have you seen the talent in ms for 2019? Our class will be much closer to 10 than 30. I'm guessing somewhere between 8-12
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Dude we will have a top 20 -25 class this year and the talent for 2019 is loaded for MS. No way it's only top 30.

vCash
    It all comes down to getting to Atlanta. We were able to do it almost 20 years ago due to the top defense in the nation and an excellent smash mouth running game.
    Overcoming Bama is the challenge for everyone in the west.

vCash
    I think we are evolving into a Patriots type model with smaller more agile WRs and big athletic TEs. Just my opinion but we have been stockpiling big athletic TEs and smaller WRs. I like it because no one else in the conference is really doing and big TEs can be a matchup nightmare, plus it helps the run game.
    I don't think that's what Dan is going for going forward. Couch, Todd, Heath, Osirius Mitchell, Austin Williams are all listed as 6'3" or taller. And we will be even longer if we get Whop and Stephen Guidry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcentral View Post
    It all comes down to getting to Atlanta. We were able to do it almost 20 years ago due to the top defense in the nation and an excellent smash mouth running game.
    Overcoming Bama is the challenge for everyone in the west.
    I think the way to beat Alabama or at least have the best chance to beat Alabama is to throw the ball deep and hit on some of those bombs for touchdowns. Taller WR's give us a better chance to be successful at doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think the way to beat Alabama or at least have the best chance to beat Alabama is to throw the ball deep and hit on some of those bombs for touchdowns. Taller WR's give us a better chance to be successful at doing that.
    I'll totally agree. This isn't the late 90's where JWS just wanted some receivers to be able to "go up and get the ball".
    But if you can get that defense going and have the type of QB that Dan likes to develop, along with some receivers that do more than try and get up for that jump ball,..you're on the right path.
    I accepted that we'll never have those road grating offensive linemen that Jackie had. He'd lay those 300 pounders on them for 3 quarters and watch the opposition wilt.

vCash
    And right on queue come the "pump the brakes" negative asshole guys. If some people want to pump some sunshine and get excited we landed a five star DL guy for 2019, let them. Be happy that we got a big time recruit. Sheesh.

vCash
    I don't think that's what Dan is going for going forward. Couch, Todd, Heath, Osirius Mitchell, Austin Williams are all listed as 6'3" or taller. And we will be even longer if we get Whop and Stephen Guidry.
    You can incorporate that as well but there's some reason we are signing so many TEs. We have 5 or 6 on the roster now and several more committed. We ran a lot of 2 TE sets last year. I'm not saying that our whole offense will go that route but I see us adding these concepts more and more especially with the practice reports saying Jordan Thomas is being moved all over the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Going forward, there is absolutely zero reason we can't be the Kansas State or Virginia Tech of the SEC, which is a team that is ALWAYS competitive, every other year competes for a spot in the top-10 or to-15.
    We kind of already do that. I bet we've ranked in the top 15 at least 3 times in Mullen's tenure which is about every other year.

vCash
    Not sure Mullen's strategy of developing "check down QBs" is conducive to this.

That strategy is great for pro development but does allow for the risk/reward plays that help you have upsets.

Read this article and look at Mullen's quote about 3/4 the way down on QBs making the average play.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...uru-dan-mullen
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-19-2017 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    That's awesome! Great get! Amazing how much better our recruiting is going without the bears out there here trying to buy everyone.
    I think they paid recruits not to visit or commit to us.

vCash
    For 2018 class you're right... For 2019, like the poster said, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think they paid recruits not to visit or commit to us.
    They did.

Will be interesting to see if they continue that just in spite, when they have no chance of getting a player