Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FG kicker situation

Banned
    vCash

FG kicker situation

sounds to me like Dan has no interest in giving any type of shit about our field goal kicker situation. Take a listen to him talk about them here (starts 4:10 mark)

https://twitter.com/HailStateFB/stat...63915117219840

vCash
    I didn't get that at all from his comments. He spent a couple of minutes talking about the kickers:
    1) Not many field goals were attempted today, just extra points.
    2) There's not a clear cut #1 at this point.
    3) They won't decide on the final kicker until game week, probably late.
    4) He doesn't consider the kicker to be as important from a leadership perspective as the QB or a LB.
    5) They've both been doing pretty good in his eyes, and the team is more confident now in our kicking situation than they were in the spring.

vCash
    If Tucker Day is supposed to be our punter next year, I would rather us if at all possible redshirt him and then go with Lawless or Mills. Of course if Lawless and Mills are both terrible we may not have a choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If Tucker Day is supposed to be our punter next year, I would rather us if at all possible redshirt him and then go with Lawless or Mills. Of course if Lawless and Mills are both terrible we may not have a choice.
    39 that. If Day is the best FG kicker we have, put his ass out there. A good kicker is the difference in at least 1-2 Ws per year, sometimes more. We can find another punter. We haven't had a FG worth a damn in going on close to a decade or more.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    I didn't get that at all from his comments. He spent a couple of minutes talking about the kickers:
    1) Not many field goals were attempted today, just extra points.
    2) There's not a clear cut #1 at this point.
    3) They won't decide on the final kicker until game week, probably late.
    4) He doesn't consider the kicker to be as important from a leadership perspective as the QB or a LB.
    5) They've both been doing pretty good in his eyes, and the team is more confident now in our kicking situation than they were in the spring.
    Talk about glass full. It took him 10 seconds before he could even remember if they attempted a single field goal. Which they didn't. Maybe just maybe you should attempt a couple ****ing field goals when you still have no clue who the kicker is going to be. His lack of give a **** is disturbing when it comes to kickers.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Talk about glass full. It took him 10 seconds before he could even remember if they attempted a single field goal. Which they didn't. Maybe just maybe you should attempt a couple ****ing field goals when you still have no clue who the kicker is going to be. His lack of give a **** is disturbing when it comes to kickers.
    You're looking too deep into this 1. He talked in depth about the kicking battle. They also attempted a couple field goals tonight. The team is a lot more confident in Day & Lawless than any kickers since game 1 of last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    39 that. If Day is the best FG kicker we have, put his ass out there. A good kicker is the difference in at least 1-2 Ws per year, sometimes more. We can find another punter. We haven't had a FG worth a damn in going on close to a decade or more.
    Yeah, we can not afford to have a poor kicking game this year.

Best man plays
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    I must admit, when I watched that interview, I left most concerned with his comments on the kickers. He definitely acted like it was somewhat of an afterthought. He said he didn't really care if a guy separated himself early. Why not? Why would you not rather have a clear "guy" at kicker if you could? And I agree, his lack of knowing if they even kicked FG's tonight was concerning. He mentioned he didn't know if they would freak out first game since they're all young....so why in the hell wouldn't you be letting them get a lot of kicks in during scrimmages in the stadium so you can start to find out? He even said he may not know who the guy is until after pregame of game 1....so he clearly learned nothing from the USA game.

I'm not freaking out about it, I just think as shitty as our kickers have been the last several years, he could at least pretend to make it a heavy focal point. But at the end of the day, I just want him to run the best guy out there, and I hope whoever it is makes the kicks

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    You're looking too deep into this
    I probably am but we haven't had an above average SEC kicker since Mullen arrived. It's fine if he wants nothing to do with it as long as he hires someone who does. Imagine if we had kickers like we have QBs. A great kicker is a weapon that shouldn't get overlooked every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I must admit, when I watched that interview, I left most concerned with his comments on the kickers. He definitely acted like it was somewhat of an afterthought. He said he didn't really care if a guy separated himself early. Why not? Why would you not rather have a clear "guy" at kicker if you could? And I agree, his lack of knowing if they even kicked FG's tonight was concerning. He mentioned he didn't know if they would freak out first game since they're all young....so why in the hell wouldn't you be letting them get a lot of kicks in during scrimmages in the stadium so you can start to find out? He even said he may not know who the guy is until after pregame of game 1....so he clearly learned nothing from the USA game.

I'm not freaking out about it, I just think as shitty as our kickers have been the last several years, he could at least pretend to make it a heavy focal point. But at the end of the day, I just want him to run the best guy out there, and I hope whoever it is makes the kicks
    It could also mean that Dan isn't meddling with special teams. And if that's the case, I won't complain. I do think that with Boniol the kicking game will eventually improve- Army AA punter in the last class and an Under Armour AA at kicker in our current class. The problem is we may not see the fruits of that this year. Much like WR recruiting.

vCash
    I probably am but we haven't had an above average SEC kicker since Mullen arrived. It's fine if he wants nothing to do with it as long as he hires someone who does. Imagine if we had kickers like we have QBs. A great kicker is a weapon that shouldn't get overlooked every year.
    I absolutely agree. I do think Chris Boniol is very good as a coach though- he has been a kicking coach in the NFL and was a successful kicker himself in the NFL.

vCash
    Well, Mullen just negates the threat of our opponents making field goals. We'll just block 'em all....see, no need for us to worry so much.

vCash
    Sobesik was 3rd in the league in 2014 and Graves was 2nd in 2015

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Graves was 2nd in 2015
    Graves missed a 28 yard field goal vs South Alabama at the very end of the game in 2016

vCash
    And we find out 3/4 thru the season that he has a back injury that I think required surgery after the season. He didn't come back and hung em up when he could've played another year if I'm not mistaken. He did miss a fg that would've won the USA game but having to make a game winning fg vs them was not nearly the only reason we lost that game. Aeries and Fitz play that entire game instead of the Mullen playing the older guys bullshit he does to start the year has more to do with that loss than a fg in my opinion
    Last edited by whosyourdawgy; 08-18-2017 at 06:15 AM.

vCash
    We have a walk on from SHS. Cannot remember his name.

vCash
    Graves missed a 28 yard field goal vs South Alabama at the very end of the game in 2016
    How does that change how good he was in 2015? He was 2nd in the league in 2015 and injured in 2016

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Sobesik was 3rd in the league in 2014 and Graves was 2nd in 2015
    DePasquale was solid for most of his career as well. We haven't had an All-Conference deadeye type in a very long time (not exactly common for anyone... remember Bama's kicking situation a few years ago?), but let's not pretend like our place kicking situation has been a steaming pile of shit going on decades. It's simply a hard position to evaluate for anyone, especially since you can usually only afford to allot, absolute best case, a few scholarships to it. Has Mullen not put enough emphasis on it in the past? Very possibly. Hopefully he's coming around on that since he's now shelling out a scholarship for it, but again, let's not pretend like the position has been a complete void throughout his tenure.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    09 - Depasquale 10/12 Long 48

10 - Depasquale 10/12 Long 43

11 - Depasquale 12/18 Long 42

12 - Bell 14/21 Long 47

13 - Bell 6/14 Long 40

14 - Sobiesk 12/14 Long 45

15 - Graves 15/18 Long 44

16 - Graves 11/19 Long 48

Like the previous poster said we may not have had the All SEC kicker but to say our kickers have always sucked is another myth. We've been bad 2 yrs 2013 & 2016. The problem is we don't have that last second FG to remember like Westerfield or Hazelwood to forget all the other misses they had. Kicking can be better but we haven't consistently trotted out guys that's missing FG's left & right either.

vCash
    http://hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=798&path=football