Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
Don't disagree...but it's not for everybody and in a majority of instances it's not necessary. Which is where my issue with it begins. The folks that make money off of these organizations and tourneys want folks to think it is necessary. It is big business...there are folks that work 3-4 months a year doing tourneys and never work til the next year. These coach's that get paid by these organizations are also feeding the kids and parents lines about HAVING to pay and play with them to get seen. They are pulling focus and kids away from high school programs without having the investment in the kids and their overall development.

This doesn't describe all travel ball or showcase organizations but in my 15+ years of involvement in many different avenues, it's pretty accurate of most.
Like with everything else there is good and bad. You have to do your due dilligence to find the right organization. And you just cannot find the level of competition needed to develop at the rec league level anymore. I hate the big money part as well I have been blessed to work with coaches and organizations that were about the kids and development. I have been lucky I guess. I've never taken a penny to coach and I have coached an elite team the last 8 years thats had a lot of success.

I agree with you that there's to many out there just making money and who ruin it for the kids and parents. No doubt about that.