Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel ball thoughts (for kids)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Don't disagree...but it's not for everybody and in a majority of instances it's not necessary. Which is where my issue with it begins. The folks that make money off of these organizations and tourneys want folks to think it is necessary. It is big business...there are folks that work 3-4 months a year doing tourneys and never work til the next year. These coach's that get paid by these organizations are also feeding the kids and parents lines about HAVING to pay and play with them to get seen. They are pulling focus and kids away from high school programs without having the investment in the kids and their overall development.

This doesn't describe all travel ball or showcase organizations but in my 15+ years of involvement in many different avenues, it's pretty accurate of most.
    Like with everything else there is good and bad. You have to do your due dilligence to find the right organization. And you just cannot find the level of competition needed to develop at the rec league level anymore. I hate the big money part as well I have been blessed to work with coaches and organizations that were about the kids and development. I have been lucky I guess. I've never taken a penny to coach and I have coached an elite team the last 8 years thats had a lot of success.

I agree with you that there's to many out there just making money and who ruin it for the kids and parents. No doubt about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg21 View Post
    I didn't know what to expect when we started at age 7. Now my son is 10 and I thought I'd share a few things for those that have kids or might be wondering.

1. We've been lucky- about 10 tourneys in the spring and a couple in the " fall"
    2. So many tourneys in MS..you can can do this without too much travel
    3. My kid has gotten so much better doing this- I can't imagine where he would be playing just league and all stars
    4. There is a lot of good players in MS..it will only get better

I questioned this at first, but I advise parents and kids to at least try it if their child loves baseball.

I also advise just a few games in the fall..just light work.

Most of our experience has been good..only a few times where there were crazy coaches or parents.
    Agree with most of this. It is necessary at this time for kids to play travel ball primarily for the level of competition they will see. I played travel ball growing up(was a LHP primarily) ended up playing college and had a short stint in pro ball due to my lack of fastball command and a bum elbow. I pitched a whole lot growing up through high school and can say without a doubt it lead to arm problems down the road. My biggest worry for travel ballers up through high school lies with pitchers. A kid is never going to tell you his arm is tired or hurting when a game is on the line.

Too much use at an early age will most certainly lead to arm issues. Have a kid I work with some on the side that had growth plate issues due to throwing too much before fully maturing. Each kid is different but if you have a kid that is a pitcher and he hasn't gone through puberty or grown yet please limit his use. At that age bodies are developing so much and so many things can go wrong. It doesn't matter how perfect their mechanics are until they have matured their arm does not need to be put through 50-60-70 innings a summer and fall even if they are throwing primarily fastballs.

Next best advice I can give is play multiple sports to build complementary muscles and overall athleticism. Also, it seems every parent is more worried about pitching lessons and actual pitching forgetting that IMO the most productive thing a pitcher can do is long toss/stretch religiously. For some pitchers, once in high school it is better IMO to take a short break after the spring season and ease back into it with a throwing program. Most injuries occur due to fatigue in certain muscle groups primarily the scaps and upper back muscles. Once those muscles tire your body subconsciously sends the stress to the small ligaments in the shoulder and elbow. MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS ARM IS IN SHAPE. Take some lessons off and take your kid out to long toss. Stretching is a vastly underrated tool in high school and early baseball. Kids will stretch for ten minutes and pick up a baseball. Stretching prevents so many injuries in every sport. In pro ball we would stretch for 30-40 minutes and then go into band work before ever touching a baseball.

Sorry for the rant. I help with pitchers at a local high school and see so many kids from 7th-12th grade that don't take stretching or getting their bodies in shape seriously and parents that just worry about how hard their kid throws and throwing bullpens. IMO this is asking for an injury. Other than that let them play as much as they want too.

vCash
    Let me add we don't play fall ball. After July we focus on conditioning and only hit. He also plays basketball. I definetly agree you can't play Year round and you have to play other sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    A few thoughts on the development of young baseball players:

- Play with other good players that push your child.

- Play in the yard ALOT. Play whiffle ball, hit rocks with broom sticks, hit bottle caps, hit sunflower seeds, etc. The hit tool is not being developed currently in America because travel ball is only offering kids around 15-20 ABs a weekend while Latins playing in the streets are getting hundreds of ABs and ground balls in that time span. Baseball is 99% standing around or sitting in the dugout, and this does not offer a quality developmental path. Playing games is good, but, if you want to be bad ass in this sport, you must gain a feel and improvisation skill that only thousands of reps and pure instincts can provide.

- LEARN TO THROW! Most high school baseball players in America can't throw and it limits thier opportunities to play different positions, which limits their chances of finding a position that they can adequately play and offensively profile at. Not everyone can hit for enough power to profile at 1B or LF, but by learning to throw with a clean, compact, fluid arm action, you open up a world of possibilities for your bat to find a place on the field.

- Learn to dance and play other sports. MLB players have rhythm and excellent, light feet and body contro. Clunky white boys better hit for power or there is no place for them. Other sports teach these abilities.

- Don't worry about building muscle. Build flexibility and remove rigid, stiff, long actions from your game. Be quick, not strong. Have arm speed, not strength.

- learn to impact the baseball and generate bat speed. This piecey, pre-stride, opposite field, line drive stuff that infiltrated lessons across this country are a joke because they take the natural athleticism and rhythm away from a hitter. Most everyday ML players hit for some sort of power. Learn to do it.

Any questions?
    This might be actually the hardest part to accomplish in today's world. When was the last time you saw kids playing an improvised baseball type game? When I was a kid, there were only 4-5 of us in the neighborhood, but our parents MADE us be outside all the time. We played different versions of baseball constantly -2 on 2 with a tennis ball and ghost runners, pepper, cup ball, pickle, shag, all the time. Kids don't play like that anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    This might be actually the hardest part to accomplish in today's world. When was the last time you saw kids playing an improvised baseball type game? When I was a kid, there were only 4-5 of us in the neighborhood, but our parents MADE us be outside all the time. We played different versions of baseball constantly -2 on 2 with a tennis ball and ghost runners, pepper, cup ball, pickle, shag, all the time. Kids don't play like that anymore.
    Man those were great times weren't they?!! Lot of great memories growing up like that. I've been lucky my sons loved the game so much they actually do a lot of those things outside we did growing up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    And that is how you really develop a kid. Good for you.
    thanks
    Love All Worship One!
    Go Dawgz!

vCash
    I agree with most of that. My kid loves it, and loves playing other sports too. I make him put the baseball down in the fall and winter.

On teenage tommy johns- I seen a 9 year old for another team pitch 154 pitches in one weekend.

Our coaches limit ours kids to 50-60 per weekend. Most not even that.

The one thing I will say- the better the competition the better the team gets. And that cannot be replaced in the front yard.

vCash
    Agree & it's the main reason baseball is becoming more & more Latin.

Look at it like surfing:

No one really teaches someone to surf & most of the best surfers in the world never took lessons.

Reason being, is that every wave is distinctly different & requires feel, manipulation, & instincts to ride. Hitting is the same way. You can't teach someone to hit because every pitch, pitcher, etc is different & requires instincts, manipulation, & feel to hit.

Because baseball isn't played in the yard anymore, kids in America are not getting the opportunity to experiment, fail, see hundreds of pitches in one day, etc...

This leads to groove, piecey swings with poor recognition & timing
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg21 View Post
    I agree with most of that. My kid loves it, and loves playing other sports too. I make him put the baseball down in the fall and winter.

On teenage tommy johns- I seen a 9 year old for another team pitch 154 pitches in one weekend.

Our coaches limit ours kids to 50-60 per weekend. Most not even that.

The one thing I will say- the better the competition the better the team gets. And that cannot be replaced in the front yard.
    They both are important. Yes, playing against good competition helps, but getting tons of reps against good competition helps even more.

Travel ball is fine, but it's not enough. Kids simply don't get enough reps at weekend tournament to gain the feel & instincts necessary to reach their ceilings as players.

vCash
    Gwinnett, Cobb, and Forsyth Counies in GA may be the travel ball capital of the world. Nothing is close IMO. Cobb took Cooperstown this year. A local park team from a Gwinnett won the GA Triple Crown state championship. It's ridiculously good baseball at a young age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Let me add we don't play fall ball. After July we focus on conditioning and only hit. He also plays basketball. I definetly agree you can't play Year round and you have to play other sports.
    I agree with this but we still play fall. It's the "2nd sport" with only 3 or 4 Sunday-only tournaments and then done for the winter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Man those were great times weren't they?!! Lot of great memories growing up like that. I've been lucky my sons loved the game so much they actually do a lot of those things outside we did growing up!
    You'll appreciate this -
    My granddaddy played minor league ball a couple of summers and was a helluva athlete - which he traded in for hunting Nazi's. Anyway, when I was a kid he used to work on my hitting with me by giving me a broom handle and throwing crab apples to me to hit. If you can hit a thrown crab apple you can hit about anything. We were hitting one day, and a few carpenter bees were flying around. Granddaddy squared up into his stance and commenced to hitting carpenter bees with the broom handle. He had a Rod Carew type stance, and would just flick his wrists and smack the hell out of the bee. He did not miss. If that wasn't enough, after 7-8, he turned around and did it left handed! I was blown away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Gwinnett, Cobb, and Forsyth Counies in GA may be the travel ball capital of the world. Nothing is close IMO. Cobb took Cooperstown this year. A local park team from a Gwinnett won the GA Triple Crown state championship. It's ridiculously good baseball at a young age.
    Georgia is outpacing Southern California right now in producing HS talent, which has not happened in the history of the sport.

Georgia is a unique because historically the state hasn't produced as many Major League players as you would think, but, in talking with some knowledgeable people, the Atlanta Braves 14 straight division titles had a profound effect on the baseball culture in the state & created a situation where many of the best athletes in the state started playing baseball. That along with the East Cobb program starting at the same time, has propelled Georgia baseball talent into the forefront of the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I agree with this but we still play fall. It's the "2nd sport" with only 3 or 4 Sunday-only tournaments and then done for the winter.
    Nothing wrong with that as long as they're getting the 3 to 4 months of not throwing a ball. I have played many of those Georgia teams over the years, East Cobb, Home Plate Chili Dogs, 6-4-3 academy etc. lot of good baseball

vCash
    You'll appreciate this -
    My granddaddy played minor league ball a couple of summers and was a helluva athlete - which he traded in for hunting Nazi's. Anyway, when I was a kid he used to work on my hitting with me by giving me a broom handle and throwing crab apples to me to hit. If you can hit a thrown crab apple you can hit about anything. We were hitting one day, and a few carpenter bees were flying around. Granddaddy squared up into his stance and commenced to hitting carpenter bees with the broom handle. He had a Rod Carew type stance, and would just flick his wrists and smack the hell out of the bee. He did not miss. If that wasn't enough, after 7-8, he turned around and did it left handed! I was blown away.
    That's awesome! Country boy baseball! The best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Georgia is outpacing Southern California right now in producing HS talent, which has not happened in the history of the sport.

Georgia is a unique because historically the state hasn't produced as many Major League players as you would think, but, in talking with some knowledgeable people, the Atlanta Braves 14 straight division titles had a profound effect on the baseball culture in the state & created a situation where many of the best athletes in the state started playing baseball. That along with the East Cobb program starting at the same time, has propelled Georgia baseball talent into the forefront of the country.
    It started a little before that run - the East Marietta Little League winning the LLWS in '83 really started it. The core of that group started East Cobb and went on to win a ridiculous amount of youth titles by the time they aged out around '88-'89. That group was 2-3 years older then me and I played against a lot of their younger brothers. What set Cobb County ahead were the number of parks in county with leagues - and they all had facilities with batting cages and pitching machines. It was an instant travel league. You had 15 or so youth leagues in Cobb around that time. You could play a season's worth of games playing at your home park March-May, then pick an all-star team or 2 from each park and spend the summer playing all round the county until state tournaments began. When you aged up to HS, each park would put together a team or 2 from the closest high schools and play all over the county. Between high school and summer league in 90/91 I faced 15 pitchers that either got drafted or played college ball. The Braves run ramped it up considerably, but the roots were there.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 08-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.