Thread: Will Mullen refuse to hire a new OC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash

Will Mullen refuse to hire a new OC?

When the time comes for Stricklin to force Mullen to hire a new offensive coordinator will Mullen agree? Or will he refuse and Stricklin be forced into the next step of hiring a new HC? That's how it went down with Croom. Fire Woody or fire yourself and Croom chose himself.

Banned
    vCash
    Your program isn't at a good spot when the athletics directer has to force out coordinators

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Love Boat View Post
    Your program isn't at a good spot when the athletics directer has to force out coordinators
    good thing we arent there yet
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Why fire Koenning? He does the job he's asked to do pretty well, so far as I'm concerned. Mullen would just hire another retread like him and nothing would change. The only hope is for Mullen to give up Special Teams, focus solely on offense, and hope he'd be willing to hire an up-and-coming OC who wants to learn the Spread from him.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Why fire Koenning? He does the job he's asked to do pretty well, so far as I'm concerned. Mullen would just hire another retread like him and nothing would change. The only hope is for Mullen to give up Special Teams, focus solely on offense, and hope he'd be willing to hire an up-and-coming OC who wants to learn the Spread from him.
    Koenning is doing the job he's been asked to do, but we need somebody to provide some playcalling and creativity (and O-line recruiting). If Koenning can do that and Mullen doesn't want to fire him, he needs to give him free reign this season. No waiting until next year to give him a chance.

And whatever Mullen would like to do, Stricklin has to force him to make a change. Mullen was left to his own this off season, and he apparently did nothing to address the issues on offense. He doesn't get another full season to try to fix it by doing hte same thing.

vCash
    Why would you say that? Do you consider Collins and Townsend retreads? Do you think Turner and Gonzales were bad hires?
    You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Why would you say that? Do you consider Collins and Townsend retreads? Do you think Turner and Gonzales were bad hires?
    Apples to oranges. 3 of those coaches are on defense, where Mullen gives free reign to his DC.

Gonzo was an outstanding hire. Couldn't have done much better, honestly. But Mullen wants the offensive staff to function a certain way, and Koenning makes that happen. What Mullen wants is an experienced OC to handle the day-to-day administrative stuff, have gameplan input, and recruit. Koenning does all of those things really well. He's supposedly one of our best recruiters. Mullen himself handles the gameday play calling, other than last season. But if you've payed much attention at all this year, it's been pretty clear that Dan is running the show on O this season.

The problem is that he's also trying to coach STs, meaning he has to split his focus. My argument is he should give STs to someone else, potentially Gonzo who has experience coaching STs, and put all his focus on offense. I think that would help the offense tremendously, because it frees Mullen to do what he's passionate about as a coach - coach offense.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash

It doesn't matter who the OC is. Mullen is going to run his offense, Mullen has to be willing to allow someone to give input into how we run the offense. Which up until now, he has not. Like WMD said, I'm happy with what Koenning is doing. I've also heard that he is one of our best recruiters as well.

vCash
    If we get to six wins, nothing will happen. Less than six, the seat will get hot. In that case, it depends on how badly the conspirators want Mullen gone.

vCash
    If you all actually think that SS will force Mullen to do anything has not been paying attention. The guy is good at PR but I'm not sold he has that ninja make up in dealing with coaches. LT 2.0.

vCash
    has Billy G ever been an OC? I think Mullen prefers to promote from within? Aside from that, it is well known throughout CFB that Mullen is a micro-manager and difficult to work for (mainly offensively).