Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Mullen's Contract

vCash

Thinking About Mullen's Contract

I just wanted to get some feedback on this line of thinking.

It's clear IMO that next 5 years are an unprecedented opportunity for MSU's football when considering the history of the program.

- We have 7 players in the rankings of the top 200 players in the NFL

- We may be about to sign a top 20 recruiting class

- Our rival is a mess & about to go on massive probation

- We should be able to absolutely dominate in-state recruiting over the next 5 years

- We have 4 star QBs already committed that should get us through the next 6 years

- We have top notch DC

- ETC

Basically, my line of thinking is that the biggest threat to MSU taking advantage of the unprecedented opportunity that the next 5 years present, is coaching in-stability. Due to that, & I realize this may be unpopular, but, with the A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, & possibly Notre Dame jobs coming open in the next year or so, would you consider raising Mullen's salary to $6 mil or so just to insure that he's untouchable to other programs?

I realize you never want to negotiate out of fear of losing a coach & that 6+ mil per year is way above the market rate for a coach like Mullen, but the next 5 years present an unprecedented opportunity that may never happen again in our life times. We are absolutely set-up over the next 5 years to compete at a level that none of us have ever witnessed & I just can't imagine how frustrated we would all be if that opportunity was wasted due to coaching instability.

So do you make sure Mullen is financially untouchable now, or do you play with fire with risk being that we are potentially wasting this opportunity due to coaching instability?

What say you?
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

It's clear IMO that next 5 years are an unprecedented opportunity for MSU's football when considering the history of the program.

- We should be able to absolutely dominate in-state recruiting over the next 5 years

- We have 4 star QBs already committed that should get us through the next 6 years

- We have top notch DC

- ETC

Basically, my line of thinking is that the biggest threat to MSU taking advantage of the unprecedented opportunity that the next 5 years present, is coaching in-stability. Due to that, & I realize this may be unpopular, but, with the A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, & possibly Notre Dame jobs coming open in the next year or so, would you consider raising Mullen's salary to $6 mil or so just to insure that he's untouchable to other programs?

You realize you never want to negotiate out of fear of losing a coach, but the next 5 years presents an unprecedented opportunity that may never happen again in our life times. We are absolutely set-up over the next 5 years to compete at a level that none of us have ever witnessed & I just can't imagine how frustrated we would all be if that opportunity was wasted due to coaching instability.

So do you make sure Mullen is financially untouchable now, or do you play with fire with risk being that we are potentially wasting this opportunity due to coaching instability?

What say you?
    Remember that our coach has children that have established themselves in their school, church and community... All LOVED by them..... The family, from what I am told, loves it here....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    Remember that our coach has children that have established themselves in their school, church and community... All LOVED by them..... The family, from what I am told, loves it here....
    Which I totally believe, but I'm not sure it's worth playing with fire. In normal times, I'd say he isn't worth paying 6 mil per year yet, but these aren't normal times.

The next 5 years present the opportunity of a generation for this program & coaching stability in which to build upon is absolutely worth the extra money to me right now, particularly with the QB recruiting being what it is & his role in getting those commits

vCash
    Let's see how we come out of this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    May be too late then. I don't see this season as much to do with it.

From a big picture perspective, I'm looking at the landscape of our recruiting + OM going on probation, & our program is at an all-time health level RIGHT NOW as we enter into an unprecedented era of being able to dominate in-state recruiting.

With our QB commits already lined up for the next 6 years, I just don't see what this year has to do with it.

You pay coaches for what they are going to do, not what they have done.

vCash
    Big time programs aren't going to look at 1 or 2 Million dollars and not go after the coach they want. If Dan puts us in the playoff for a few years or puts us to winning 10 games every year then we are at risk. The big time programs aren't coming after a guy that isn't either putting up 10 win seasons regularly or putting together top 5 - 10 recruiting classes regularly. IMO, giving him a raise to try to prevent other teams coming after him is just throwing away money.

Banned
    vCash

- We have top notch DC

- ETC

I realize you never want to negotiate out of fear of losing a coach & that 6+ mil per year is way above the market rate for a coach like Mullen, but the next 5 years present an unprecedented opportunity that may never happen again in our life times. We are absolutely set-up over the next 5 years to compete at a level that none of us have ever witnessed & I just can't imagine how frustrated we would all be if that opportunity was wasted due to coaching instability.

What say you?
    You're overthinking this quite a bit. To make him truly financially untouchable, we'd have to pay him about $10 million, which would be absurd. There's no one out there that will pay $5 million but won't pay $6 million if they want him. Within 2 years, everybody in the SEC is going to be making $6 million just like everyone is in the $4.5-5 million range now. He has a top 15 salary. If he wants to leave, it won't be about money. We give him raises based on performance and sustained success. Just like we've always done.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 08-17-2017 at 12:30 PM.

vCash
    May be too late then. I don't see this season as much to do with it.

From a big picture perspective, I'm looking at the landscape of our recruiting + OM going on probation, & our program is at an all-time health level RIGHT NOW as we enter into an unprecedented era of being able to dominate in-state recruiting.

With our QB commits already lined up for the next 6 years, I just don't see what this year has to do with it.

You pay coaches for what they are going to do, not what they have done.
    This is pretty much universally false. It'd be nice to know what a coach is going to do and pay them for that. But most of the time, you don't know what a coach is going to do, so you pay them based on what they've done. Les Miles continued to get paid as a national championship winning coach even after he stopped performing at that level. Mullen didn't get paid $4M+ when he started at state because he was going to put us on a long bowl streak and take us as high as a number one ranking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Thanks Larry.

vCash
    He's already priced at a point where not many are going to be able to out pay what we are now. So, I would keep him where he is now and then pay up if someone else actually offers more.

That's the whole reason he is still here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He's already priced at a point where not many are going to be able to out pay what we are now. So, I would keep him where he is now and then pay up if someone else actually offers more.

We are happy with the shape of our program but he is probably fired somewhere else if he led them to #1 and then collapsed down the stretch. Then followed that season up with making the Belk Bowl with the best QB in MSU history at the helm and then a 5-7 record. A big program isn't paying him 6-10 Million for those results which is the price it would take to get him out of MSU. He was already basically priced out of Maryland, Virginia, and Miami and that was with a lower buyout because of years off his contract.

vCash

What say you?
    I like where you're thoughts are but like others said, an extra $1M won't do much to deter big schools. I think where it could be focused is the assistants salaries and getting some continuity especially on the defensive side.

vCash
    Assuming Grantham's defense shows promise this year, I'd rather spend some money to have some stability at the DC position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dparker View Post
    I like where you're thoughts are but like others said, an extra $1M won't do much to deter big schools. I think where it could be focused is the assistants salaries and getting some continuity especially on the defensive side.
    Quote Originally Posted by RunDog26 View Post
    Assuming Grantham's defense shows promise this year, I'd rather spend some money to have some stability at the DC position.
    This. We need to pay our assistants comparably with the rest of the conference. And I'd give my left nut for a coaching change on the OL.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I have no idea why more of our fans don't understand this. Mullen is being paid like a Top 15 HC. No one is going to pay him more until he starts being competitive against Bama and winning big games against LSU, Auburn, etc. He hasn't done enough for the blue bloods to splash the cash for him and he's making too much for anyone else to poach him. If he leaves, it'll be for one of two reasons: 1) He finally gets over the hump and gets several big wins, including over Bama or 2) He wants a new challenge. That's it. He either makes us better or he moves on by choice.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We could always use the money TSUN is giving up in bowl revenue the next few years to give him a raise........look at it as TSUN giving Mullen a raise! That should sting a few Bears.

vCash
    I think our biggest threat will be Notre Dame. I don't see him leaving MSU for another SEC school. Doesn't make sense. With Notre Dame, it's not a money issue but I believe it's his dream school to coach at. Not sure one or two million more dollars a year would make a difference in that regard.

vCash
    It's already starting in recruiting. It looks like we have a great shot to end up with the top 7 kids in MS this year, and plenty of the rest of the top 20.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd pay him whatever it takes to keep him... typically I wouldn't feel that way but with OM down and dan starting to become a coach recruits are wanting to play for, I say we do whatever it takes.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    No point in paying more because OM is about to get hammered. The two are mutually exclusive IMO. Only thing that should matter is what Dan does as a coach this year and the next. If someone wants to pay him 5-6 million we can either counter then or let him go. He's a good coach and I have always been a big Dan fan but you better be winning a bunch of games if you expect to get a 1.5-2 million dollar raise just because our rival went on probation.