Thread: Mike Hugenin say Grantham is overrated...

vCash

Mike Hugenin say Grantham is overrated...

and that we could be really bad on D.

But that he likes Simmons a lot, Leo too....but our secondary is trash.

Thoughts?

vCash
    I heard that.

Overall, I consider Huguinin knowledgeable guest, but what he said about Grantham almost sounded personal. Bo almost started laughing when he said that Louisville people are saying they upgraded with Sirmon. Bo called him out on it and Huguinin responded, " Well that's what the Louisville guys said." Never mind that Louisiville finished 14th nationally in total defense last year.

Although knowledgeable, Huguinin is one of my least favorite guests because there is a smugness, elitist, MS schools suck tone from him.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-15-2017 at 01:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I heard that.

Overall, I consider Huguinin knowledgeable guest, but what he said about Grantham almost sounded personal. Bo almost started laughing when he said that Louisville people are saying they upgraded with Sirmon. Bo called him out on it and Huguinin responded, " Well that's what the Louisville guys said." Never mind that Louisiville finished 14th nationally in total defense last year.

Although knowledgeable, Huguinin is one of my least favorite guests because there is a smugness, elitist, MS schools suck tone from him.
    Grantham has never coached a Defense as bad as Sirmon's was last year. For comparison, Sirmon was almost as bad as Ron Cooper. Some guy at home calling in plays on his Xbox could have at least been equal to what we had last year. Sirmon will either be at a lower level school as DC or back to a position coach/recruiting guy after this year.

vCash
    Grantham hasn't had a defense ranked less than 50th in his college tenure I believe. He took a shitty Georgia defense from 118th overall in 2009 to finish 18th overall in 2010. He had Clemson's defense ranked #1 in 2014.

Hugenin's full of shit on this.

vCash
    Yes he is, it's got to be personal. Based on results Grantham has done a damn fine job coaching defenses in his career. He's prolly pissed that we will be matching him up with some talent, and he's afraid we will be much improved on defense.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    I'll take an overrated DC with NFL experience that has never had a college defense outside the Top 40 before all day. A mildly competent defense last year and we win 1-2 more games.

But he's not overrated so there's that too.

vCash
    I watched the bowl game when LSU beat Louisville last year. There were some defensive busts that could be blamed on the scheme but most was just that UL didn't have the athletes to compete with LSU and Lamar Jackson and the O decided to take the day off.

Anything is better than Sirmon and all Mullen needs is a Diaz or Collins level defense.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I watched the bowl game when LSU beat Louisville last year. There were some defensive busts that could be blamed on the scheme but most was just that UL didn't have the athletes to compete with LSU and Lamar Jackson and the O decided to take the day off.

Anything is better than Sirmon and all Mullen needs is a Diaz or Collins level defense.
    Grantham told Will Sammon (IIRC) that he wished he had this level of talent at Louisville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Grantham told Will Sammon (IIRC) that he wished he had this level of talent at Louisville.
    Wow! A quick search on rivals shows that his defense only had two 4*s since 2013. We have four stars at every level of our defense and a five star in Simmons. I'm excited to see what they can do.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Wow! A quick search on rivals shows that his defense only had two 4*s since 2013. We have four stars at every level of our defense and a five star in Simmons. I'm excited to see what they can do.
    I'm sorry I can't hear you. I'm in my wool cocoon.

vCash
    It is unbelievable to me that anyone could compare Sirmon to Grantham. Sirmon may not be coaching defense anywhere after this season. In fact, I suspect he'll be out at Louisville. Grantham, on the other hand, is a seasoned, career DC.

vCash
    We will know the answer to this kwerstion by November. Nobody really knows right now. I do know this: there's no 17'n way our current D.C. can be as turrible as the one we employed last season.

vCash
    Grantham hasn't had a defense ranked less than 50th in his college tenure I believe. He took a shitty Georgia defense from 118th overall in 2009 to finish 18th overall in 2010. He had Clemson's defense ranked #1 in 2014.

TG never coached at Clemson

vCash

Think of this analogy, Coach Mullen is likely more hands on with our defense than most people suspect....think of an aggression dial, like volume, but for defense and aggression.....On a scale of 1 to 10 Coach Mullen always has the dial at 2 until opponents get into the red zone then he turns it to 6, and each of these are very predictable for opposing coaches to plan against. There is extreme attention to "Not making mistakes" you can hear it in his language, D coaches repeating this language, there is inherent failure to trust the players to put them in the right position, then turn them loose to have fun and whip someone's ass. Praise for busting someone's ass would go further towards elevating our D play than the strategy we have used the past few years. What fun is it to get nit-picked about being in the wrong position, blah, blah, blah. Not to say that isn't important, but at some point you have to step back and let the players go for it. My hope is that Coach Mullen trusts Grantham enough to let him determine the aggressiveness of the defense and Grantham is sound enough to say, "Get your hand off the dial" and Coach Mullen can respect/trust that. Here is to hoping?

vCash

totally agree ... Grantham was the fall guy for Mark Richt when Ritch first started getting heavy pressure ... Grantham did a pretty good job at GA but you just can't continue year after year with good defenses ... sooner or later you will have an off year and that is the way Richt canned him - it was total BS IMO ...... Dan made a really good move in hiring him ... also, no way Samford puts up over 40 points on him
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 08-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I'll take an overrated DC with NFL experience that has never had a college defense outside the Top 40 before all day. A mildly competent defense last year and we win 1-2 more games.

But he's not overrated so there's that too.
    yep ... and add a competent kicker to that and those wins jump to 3-4 more
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    TG never coached at Clemson
    I just caught that. I meant to say Louisville. My bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Grantham has never coached a Defense as bad as Sirmon's was last year. For comparison, Sirmon was almost as bad as Ron Cooper. Some guy at home calling in plays on his Xbox could have at least been equal to what we had last year. Sirmon will either be at a lower level school as DC or back to a position coach/recruiting guy after this year.
    You're probably right about our defense being as bad last year as Ron Cooper's, although Cooper was about as bad as it gets.. I think it could maybe have been worse than Cooper's. Alabama could have probably scored 80-90 points against us last year if Saban hadn't put in his substitutes and just ran the ball in the second half to hold down the score.