Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does UNM Have SO Many Sidewalk Fans?

vCash

Why Does UNM Have SO Many Sidewalk Fans?

I kinda understand bama,

but these dicks...I don't.

MSU's sidewalk fans usually have some type of link to the university (child/sibling/parent) not OM.

Redneck, skank, trash piles out of a beatup Ranger w/OM gear on throwing down cigarette butts in Dollar General parking lot.

vCash
    Shitbird Shit attracts flies.

vCash
    Old South symbolism.

vCash
    Tradishun

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    I kinda understand bama,

but these dicks...I don't.

MSU's sidewalk fans usually have some type of link to the university (child/sibling/parent) not OM.

Redneck, skank, trash piles out of a beatup Ranger w/OM gear on throwing down cigarette butts in Dollar General parking lot.
    TSUN has always had their "gone with the wind" niche / brand that some just find "cute" while others just out of pure racism. I had 2 co-workers at my previous gig here in ft. worth whose kids considered tsun but eventually chose to go elsewhere. this brand has always enabled them to attract out of state students for whatever reason.

thankfully, that brand is taking some major hits these days with more to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    TSUN has always had their "gone with the wind" niche / brand that some just find "cute" while others just out of pure racism. I had 2 co-workers at my previous gig here in ft. worth whose kids considered tsun but eventually chose to go elsewhere. this brand has always enabled them to attract out of state students for whatever reason.

thankfully, that brand is taking some major hits these days with more to come.
    I agree with this to an extent. But also those most prominently thought of professions like lawyers/politicians, and most trusted professions like pharmacists/doctors went to school there at a higher percentage than anywhere else. Not that trusted and prominent is the case do I always believe, but polls show the trust factor. Those folks have an influence on the populous around here that most others just don't. That's prolly part of it. Oh, and definitely the sports media to a large degree...

Sad thing is some of there big boosters, dare I say network members, happen to be in those highly exposed professions, lawyers, doctors, politicians...and like you inferred a tinge of racism probably figures in there too..among other factors.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    The main reason is marketing. Their mouthpieces spew out drivel and to the casual reader who does no research, it must be true. Some in the national print/broadcast media have fallen victim to this also due to being too lazy or too busy to do their homework while others there are outright cheerleaders for them (Asschaps, Brando...etc). We've got that image in college baseball but unfortunately, nobody but college baseball fans give a rat's ass. It's not like football. Step back and look at both schools like you're from 1000 miles away and know next to nothing about either school what are the first things that come to mind?

MSU:
    1. Dak Prescott
    2. SEC
    3. Cowbells
    4. Dan Mullen

tsun:
    1. Archie
    2. THE GROVE
    3. SEC
    4. Beat Bama twice
    5. Recruiting classes
    6. Hugh Freeze

Thankfully, after this year for tsun it will be:
    1. NCAA
    2. NCAA
    3. NCAA

Now, it will be up to us to strike while the iron is hot!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Old South symbolism.

Correct answer.

vCash
    Old South symbolism.
    Nailed it
    "They live in bizarro world...up is down...yes is no...hot is cold. Now they've determined that the NCAA sends a Letter of Inquiry AFTER an investigation is basically over. Uh...NO. Not how it works." Zv2, Bafoom Motard , 10/12/15

vCash
    You're giving folks from 1000 miles away too much credit. Many think "Ole Miss" is short for Mississippi State.

BTW, the "Ole Miss" nickname is not long for this world in my opinion. It's on the list with flags, Dixie, and old men with canes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseBrown View Post
    I agree with this to an extent. But also those most prominently thought of professions like lawyers/politicians, and most trusted professions like pharmacists/doctors went to school there at a higher percentage than anywhere else. Not that trusted and prominent is the case do I always believe, but polls show the trust factor. Those folks have an influence on the populous around here that most others just don't. That's prolly part of it. Oh, and definitely the sports media to a large degree...

Sad thing is some of there big boosters, dare I say network members, happen to be in those highly exposed professions, lawyers, doctors, politicians...and like you inferred a tinge of racism probably figures in there too..among other factors.
    And journalists.

OM is also known as a party school. My wife's boss has two sons that wanted to go to OM for the party experience that they play up so much.

All of these factors pull in different demographics that create their fanbase.

Are you a:
    a) Racist rednecks - cheer for OM because they preserve and defend southern tradition
    b) party boy - go to OM because they attract southern girls looking to score a meal ticket man
    c) minority - go to OM because they give extra incentives to overcome their reputation as a racist institution
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Old South symbolism.
    This is the correct answer but I disagree with the op about most MSU sidewalk fans having a connection to State. I know plenty of State fans with no connection. A lot come from families of Ole Miss fans. Some people come to their senses when they realize who Ole Miss is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Correct answer.
    I think that's true. They've always been the hoity toity party school that high schoolers like to talk about attending. Of course, they have some serious students, but the partiers dominate the attitudes, at least. MSU has, at least in the past, a more down-to-earth student body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    And journalists.

OM is also known as a party school. My wife's boss has two sons that wanted to go to OM for the party experience that they play up so much.

All of these factors pull in different demographics that create their fanbase.

Are you a:
    a) Racist rednecks - cheer for OM because they preserve and defend southern tradition
    b) party boy - go to OM because they attract southern girls looking to score a meal ticket man
    c) minority - go to OM because they give extra incentives to overcome their reputation as a racist institution
    True that! I've seen them go there from all three categories, and I think that stupid Harvard of the South bullshit sways a few too. Some think their status will improve from being a bear fan. And some are just plain ignorant and don't know any better.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Old South symbolism.
    exactly

vCash
    Old South symbolism.
    This exactly. I know several people that dropped Ole Miss as soon as Ole Miss dropped the confederate flag and such. I know talk like that is easy to write off as a Bulldog fan talking crap about a rival fan base but in this instance it is totally true.

vCash
    Old South symbolism.
    This, and for many years, a lot of people that did not go to college at all were OM fans because they did win and were relevant in the Vaught era, while we were terrible. Now their kids are OM fans too.

vCash
    Whatever. Now is the time for us to up our recruiting efforts in Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. I am out of State and run into good people all the time whose kids did not qualify for UT or A&M and end up at UNM. Drives me nuts. They put a lot of effort in recruiting these areas, particularly in the private schools and it works for them. We need to hit it up while they are down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Whatever. Now is the time for us to up our recruiting efforts in Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. I am out of State and run into good people all the time whose kids did not qualify for UT or A&M and end up at UNM. Drives me nuts. They put a lot of effort in recruiting these areas, particularly in the private schools and it works for them. We need to hit it up while they are down.
    No doubt. Most of the kids that went to HS with my son either go to UT, A&M, or out of state. I would say the top schools for out of state are OK, OK St., Ark, LSU, then everyone else. But, I can tell you that Ark, and most of the others offer TX students quite a discount from out of state tuition, even for non alums. Most kids out here know nothing about MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Yep! My wife's boss is in Houston. Texas and A&M are pretty hard to get into and are very expensive. State offers all the pizazz at half the price.

I was just in Austin this week and Texas' campus isn't all that. My wife has a grad degree from A&M but I hated the place. I got my grad degree at SMU and their fanbase IS OM minus the rednecks that show up for football on the weekends.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***