Thread: Braves

vCash

Braves

Never a dull moment...

Snit likely to be back in '18

Max fried promoted to Atlanta. Weird move... he's been terrible almost all season, but turned it on lately.

Sean Rodriquez traded to pirates for nothing prospect. My guess is we're clearing salary to pick up someone on waiver wire
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Never a dull moment...

Snit likely to be back in '18

Max fried promoted to Atlanta. Weird move... he's been terrible almost all season, but turned it on lately.

Sean Rodriquez traded to pirates for nothing prospect. My guess is we're clearing salary to pick up someone of waiver wire
    haha, jinx.

vCash
    We've got to get a RH power hitter. Most likely that will come in the form of an OF but it could be another IF on the left side. Think it's safe to say though that we can expect the next 6 months to be active though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    We've got to get a RH power hitter. Most likely that will come in the form of an OF but it could be another IF on the left side. Think it's safe to say though that we can expect the next 6 months to be active though.
    Acuna says hi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Acuna says hi.
    Yeah, acuna is a lock for next season (if not before) with the way we promote. 3b is the position to keep an eye on imo

vCash
    Acuna says hi.
    I figure he's going to be up permanently once we expand to 40. But we will need another one. Would love an upgrade at 3B in terms of power. Not sure we can have Albeis, Swanson, and Camargo coexist in the infield. Need some more power.

Money won't be tight, but we will need to buy another starting pitcher, another RH bat, and some bullpen arms. May not be able to get all of that but I would assume we try to get most to compete the next 2 years. I'm good offensively with Flowers, Freeman, Inciarte, and would be fine with keeping Markakis. Then you've got at least 2 of Albeis/Camargo/Swanson. So you figure Acuna, then another IF will be needed. Will be interesting to see what we do the rest of the year. We are experimenting like crazy and I'm hoping we get a decent idea of what we will have going into the offseason.

vCash
    I figure he's going to be up permanently once we expand to 40. But we will need another one. Would love an upgrade at 3B in terms of power. Not sure we can have Albeis, Swanson, and Camargo coexist in the infield. Need some more power.

Money won't be tight, but we will need to buy another starting pitcher, another RH bat, and some bullpen arms. May not be able to get all of that but I would assume we try to get most to compete the next 2 years. I'm good offensively with Flowers, Freeman, Inciarte, and would be fine with keeping Markakis. Then you've got at least 2 of Albeis/Camargo/Swanson. So you figure Acuna, then another IF will be needed. Will be interesting to see what we do the rest of the year. We are experimenting like crazy and I'm hoping we get a decent idea of what we will have going into the offseason.
    we wont, since Carmago is a utility bench bat.

vCash
    You must want to argue haha

vCash
    You must want to argue haha
    Well there's a lot of folks that think Camargo is a bench bat. I wouldn't count on it personally based on the types of things he's doing at the plate and the approach he takes. He's a good hitter and will be around long enough to prove folks wrong as long as he stays healthy. The stats say his stretch has statistically been at worst comparable to Swanson's 2016 season.

Swanson had a couple percentage points higher K%, lower WAR, lower ISO, lower slugging %, few other things. Camargo is going to be fine, but the hype around Swanson and Albeis is and has been so high that people have to say Camargo can't fit into the plans. So many people see these guys in AA and AAA and these certain guys get hyped like crazy. Camargo wasn't one of those. Camargo will be on the 25 man roster next year and unless he has just an abysmal end of the season, I bet he starts opening day.

vCash
    You forgot ****

vCash
    Well there's a lot of folks that think Camargo is a bench bat. I wouldn't count on it personally based on the types of things he's doing at the plate and the approach he takes. He's a good hitter and will be around long enough to prove folks wrong as long as he stays healthy. The stats say his stretch has statistically been at worst comparable to Swanson's 2016 season.

Swanson had a couple percentage points higher K%, lower WAR, lower ISO, lower slugging %, few other things. Camargo is going to be fine, but the hype around Swanson and Albeis is and has been so high that people have to say Camargo can't fit into the plans. So many people see these guys in AA and AAA and these certain guys get hyped like crazy. Camargo wasn't one of those. Camargo will be on the 25 man roster next year and unless he has just an abysmal end of the season, I bet he starts opening day.
    He may start esp if snit is back. I think the SRod trade served 2 proposes though: 1. Clear salary to pick someone up 2. Camargo can do what SRod does and he's cheaper and much younger. I still see Swanson as the long term SS and camargo as a utility guy

vCash

i wish i could find the article, but this question was asked of an expert, i think Keith Law, and he pointed out stats that makes the case he is a Utility guy even better than anyone here did. Even though his BABIP is extremely high, his line drive %, his exit velocity, etc, all the stats that would show if he was just barreling the ball or getting lucky, show that he's just been lucky. he's not hitting the ball hard, he's not hitting line drives, but his BABIP is high = lucky.

if Swanson never adjusts to the slider, then they will slide Albies over and go find a 2B. it won't be Carmago. he is the current Jace Peterson.

ETA, found it:

“Coming up through the Braves system Johan Camargo was primarily known solely for his defense. He carried with him the ability to hit for contact, but that was about it, from an offensive standpoint. Even taking into consideration the small sample size and all, is Camargo’s early success sustainable? And also, I’m just curious, but should the Braves consider trading Johan Camargo over the off-season?” — Richard C.

I don’t think it’s all that sustainable. Camargo’s sporting a .371 BABIP that is 30 points higher than his mark in a small sample at Triple-A this year and nearly 60 points higher than the .317 mark he had in a full season at Double-A in 2016. He’s doing so despite the fact that his 27.2 percent hard-contact rate is more than five percent worse than the league average. Camargo doesn’t make much hard contact — there are more than 200 players with a higher average exit velocity than his 87.3 mph — and he hasn’t shown much in the way of discipline. He’s posted a 4.4 percent walk rate and a 36 percent chase rate on pitches out of the strike (league average this year is 29.8 percent).

Maybe he’s a useful utility player moving forward, but I can’t imagine him displacing Swanson or Albies as a long-term piece in the middle infield. (Camargo is at .302/.331/.477 through 182 PAs to Swanson’s .273/.330/.406 through his first 183 career PAs at a younger age and without any Triple-A development.) I also can’t envision any team parting with a significant haul to get him based on roughly two months of largely BABIP-fueled production. His bat is already coming back down to earth; it’ll take signs of more sustainable improvement to buy into him as a future regular."
    Last edited by BoomBoom; 08-05-2017 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    Absolutely zero reason not to bring snit back.

Needa spend a little money in the right places and things could be alright over the next few years. The plan is obvious. Just remember glavine and smoltz were in the majors several years before they really broke out.

vCash
    OK Dansby getting his 2nd chance, Camargo hurt his knee tonite out indef. Having MRI tomorrow

vCash
    Phillies 41-69 (.373)

Braves 51-60 (.459)

Phillies are 10-2 vs braves. Take head-to-head out and...

Phillies 31-67 (.316)
    Braves 49-50 (.495)

Just awful

vCash
    Phillies 41-69 (.373)

Braves 51-60 (.459)

Phillies 31-67 (.316)
    Braves 49-50 (.495)

Just awful
    Yep play the Dodgers like world beaters play the Phils like bad news bears.

vCash
    Phillies 41-69 (.373)

Braves 51-60 (.459)

Phillies 31-67 (.316)
    Braves 49-50 (.495)

Just awful
    They almost made me care again when they got back to .500. I even contemplated watching a game. Then they went and 17ed me like a compulsive cheating spouse and I just walked away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    They almost made me care again when they got back to .500. I even contemplated watching a game. Then they went and 17ed me like a compulsive cheating spouse and I just walked away.
    Better days coming...

vCash
    Braves were at .500 at 45-45. Since that point, the braves are 6-18 (counting tonight as loss). If this keeps up, I think the snit being back for '18 is very much in the air.