Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: cutting the cord..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reno hightower View Post
    Mods feel free to move but I'm almost done with cable in my house, just one tv left. With football season approaching I'm still a little gun shy. Anyone on here made it through a season without cable? If so, what kind if set up do you have? Technology changes so fast these days... Thanks in advance
    If this has been answered, I apologize in advance. I've gotten completely spoiled on pausing games, grabbing a drink, and not missing a play. When people say "DVR" capabilities are you referring to pausing/fast forward/rewind/recording? Also, the ability to quickly go back and forth to different games is something my cable/DVR provide. Is this possible with any other programs? I appreciate any advice on this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg4Life View Post
    If this has been answered, I apologize in advance. I've gotten completely spoiled on pausing games, grabbing a drink, and not missing a play. When people say "DVR" capabilities are you referring to pausing/fast forward/rewind/recording? Also, the ability to quickly go back and forth to different games is something my cable/DVR provide. Is this possible with any other programs? I appreciate any advice on this.
    You can do pause and record with PS Vue. And FF/rewind using dvr. As far as going back and forth between games, I wouldn't say that is as fast as cable or satellite. But fast enough for me. I use a Fire TV box btw and have found it's the easiest way to navigate. Others may prefer Roku.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    Dumb question here. What type of devise do you have to have for PSVue? Do I ahve to have a PlayStation? I currently have U-verse with basic cable because it was cheaper than just having internet, go figure.
    $69 Mi Box from Walmart. Love the thing.

One aspect you have to keep in mind is if you have an internet plan, you surely have a data cap. Those are the devil. They are the only things keeping me from cutting the cord. My wife stays at home with the kids and I know we'd exceed our minuscule data cap of 300GB per month (on CableOne). I can't bring myself to buying a higher package to get more data. For me the financials don't work out, yet. I pay $55 for Internet and $90 for Directv. If I get what I need for data and a streaming TV package, right now it puts me over the $145 a month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post

One aspect you have to keep in mind is if you have an internet plan, you surely have a data cap. Those are the devil. They are the only things keeping me from cutting the cord. My wife stays at home with the kids and I know we'd exceed our minuscule data cap of 300GB per month (on CableOne). I can't bring myself to buying a higher package to get more data. For me the financials don't work out, yet. I pay $55 for Internet and $90 for Directv. If I get what I need for data and a streaming TV package, right now it puts me over the $145 a month.
    I've got CableOne as well. Over the course of 2 or 3 years, my brother and I finally exceeded the data cap the allotted 3 times and they bumped us up. We have the 150 Mb/s download speed with 500 GB a month and it costs us $80. Add in PSVue and it'll be another $45 once the price goes up for us in October. I looked into getting cable from them as well, but they told me it would be $160 month, so we stayed with PSVue. You can really tell when it's football season if you look at our usage graph. A very obvious spike. But it's the only time we come close to exceeding the data cap.

vCash
    Dude (bricej13) on Reddit made this for football fans that want to become cord cutters:

https://wherecaniwatchmy.team/#/

It's not perfect, but if you click around, you can find what you are looking for.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    I've got CableOne as well. Over the course of 2 or 3 years, my brother and I finally exceeded the data cap the allotted 3 times and they bumped us up. We have the 150 Mb/s download speed with 500 GB a month and it costs us $80. Add in PSVue and it'll be another $45 once the price goes up for us in October. I looked into getting cable from them as well, but they told me it would be $160 month, so we stayed with PSVue. You can really tell when it's football season if you look at our usage graph. A very obvious spike. But it's the only time we come close to exceeding the data cap.
    Are data caps common among carriers in Mississippi these days? I've never had one with any service I've had in Tennessee. (Comcast in the past and now a municipal broadband service.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Are data caps common among carriers in Mississippi these days? I've never had one with any service I've had in Tennessee. (Comcast in the past and now a municipal broadband service.)
    Uverse now offers up to 1 TB per month where I live in MS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Data caps are common. Just moved back from AL to MS (yay!), and had a cap with AT&T in AL.

I just can't bring myself to pay $150 a month JUST for internet to get the CableOne 1TB plan.