Thread: Rank the 2017 schedule, most to least confident...

vCash

Rank the 2017 schedule, most to least confident...

1. Charleston Southern(99%)- The only question here is will we score more points than their rushing yard total.
    2. UMASS(95%)- This game is not in Gillette, and Peter Sirmon is not our Defensive Coordinator. Anything less than a 25-30 point victory will be a moral defeat.
    3. Ole Miss(85%)- I was leaning towards 90%, but it is the Egg Bowl and crazier things have happened. With that said, come Thanksgiving 2017, OM will be facing a 3-4 win season, death penalty like sanctions, and a roster full of players wishing the season was over so that they can transfer out. This game should be nothing more than a formality considering the circumstances, not to mention it is at home with a chance to embarrass the 17 out of OM while the rest of the country is tuning in.
    4. BYU(80%)- Completely different game than last year. Our defense and O-line will be head over heels better than what they saw against us last year, and our QB and RB will be confident and seasoned. They will keep the game close for 2-3 quarters, but a combination of our superior athleticism, home field advantage, and fresh legs off a bye week will eventually overwhelm the Mormons. This should be a double digit victory when it?s all said and done.
    5. La Tech(75%)- This game has TRAP written all over it. This is a team that went 9-5 last year, including a 21-20 loss to Arkansas in Fayetville last year. We have to go into Ruston and play a scrappy team that can put up a ton of points fast. We cannot find ourselves looking ahead to the LSU game the following week, this is up to the coaches. On paper, our defense should slow their offense enough to give our offense an opportunity to build a lead too large to catch up to, but this is not a game that we can mess around and let La Tech hang around. This game scares the crap out of me, but we are the better team and should win by 2 scores.
    6. Kentucky(70%)- Kentucky is a team that has some talent, but overall we are the more talented team. We beat ourselves in this game last year, and with our added talent on defense, to go along with a proven Defensive Coordinator, confident run game, and home field advantage, we should have this game sealed by the 4th quarter. This is the last game that we SHOULD easily win, but also a game that we COULD easily lose if we don?t come to play. I think we avenge last years loss with a double digit victory.
    7. Texas A&M(60%)- This is Sumlin?s last year imo. I think his time has passed and A&M will finish 6th in the West ahead of only Ole Miss. Their 100,000+ fans don?t scare anyone, although we have struggled to put it all together in College Station under Mullen. With all of this said, A&M still has a TON of talent, and are capable of putting it all together in any given week and playing like a playoff contender. This game will come down to how the first half of the season has gone for both us and A&M, if they are struggling and fire Sumlin rumors are floating around, I think we handle this game easily. This is a game we have to win to have a 8+ win regular season, and as of now I will reluctantly give us the slight edge.
    8. LSU(55%)- This is a huge early season game for both teams, as it has been the past 5 or so years. Last year we were a capable Defensive Coordinator and a proven Quarterback away from beating them in BR for the second straight time. Coach O is easy to game plan for, and honestly doesn?t scare me at all. I think our team will go into this game full expecting to win, and if we play that way, I think we will. However, as with all SEC west opponents, LSU is loaded with talent from the top to the bottom of their roster. If Mullen can find a way to get the ball moving early and often, I think our team will feed off the Stadium?s energy and find a way to get the win.
    9. Georgia(50%)- I have no idea what to make of this game. The fact that it is in Athens makes me lean towards thinking we lose this one, but that may be me looking at Georgia?s name, rather than their team and coach. I think this game comes down to turnovers. No reason to think we can't win this game, just have to execute.
    10. Arkansas(45%)- The Arkansas game has been completely unpredictable for the past few seasons. If our defense improves as I think it should, I believe we are the better team. However, we have historically sucked in the state of Arkansas. This is a game that we could easily win, and should probably be higher on this list, but something is holding me back from feeling good about it. This looks to be the easiest November in Mullen's tenure. UMASS, Bama, Arky and OM... We could easily go 3-1 in November.
    11. Auburn(30%)- We got absolutely dominated by Auburn at home last year, and their QB play will be much improved in 2017. This game is in Auburn, and comes at the end of a 3 game stretch including LSU, UGA and Auburn. We could absolutely win this game, but if we are being realistic, you have to expect to lose this one.
    12. Alabama(10%)- Mullen coached teams at MSU have and always will match up terribly against Saban coached Bama teams. Our Wide Receivers will not be able to get any separation against their DB's, and they will stack the box and most likely slow our run enough to pull away early. However, this game is in Starkville, and probably one of Mullen's best chances to beat Bama, but it's still not likely, at all.

vCash
    Love it, DD. I'd switch/rearrange to Ark, LSU, then GA, but I totally get the reasons why you've got it the way you do.

vCash
    Charleston Southern
    Umass
    BYU
    La Texh
    UK
    TSUN
    Arkansas
    A&M
    UGA
    LSU
    Auburn
    AL

vCash
    1. Charleston Southern
    2. UMASS
    3. La Tech
    4. BYU - Still can't believe we let that one get away last year. They lose 4 of their top 5 defensive linemen. They also lose Jamaal Williams (legit RB who put up almost 1,400 yards last year) and their top 3 WR's (they have 1 WR returning with more than 11 receptions last year). We should handle them at home.
    5. Kentucky - I think we start another winning streak....if we don't then it is going to be a long year.
    6. Ole Miss - I think their offense has a chance to be as good as anybody's this year....but their D is horrendous, we get them at home and I'm thinking that they will have quit by the end of the season
    7. Arkansas - Had we fielded an even half way competent defense last year, then we would be sitting on a 5 game win streak over Arkansas, so we damn sure aren't scared of them. But playing up there is always tough and it's sandwiched between Bama and OM which makes for a difficult game.
    8. Texas A&M - We get them in late October which is good. And they start October with Bama and Florida but then they have a bye week before our game. If their season has fallen apart then I could see us going over there and beating them.....I'd feel a lot more confident about this game if we hadn't looked like shit every other time we've played in College Station.
    9. Georgia - I'm interested to see how UGA looks in year 2 under Smart. They return like 17 starters, including a talented, young QB who now has some experience so I could see them making a big jump....and Athens is an unfamiliar road venue.
    10. Auburn - They return a lot from last year and if that QB pans out, I could see them having a hell of a year. We typically play them tough, but I think we are probably just too outmatched this year to get a win on the road.
    11. LSU - Yes, they should be beatable and we get them at home.....but given our record against them over the last 30 years, I just can't feel confident we will win. If anyone other than Saban coached at Bama, I'd have LSU at 12.
    12. Alabama - Nope....not while Saban is there.

vCash
    1. Charleston Southern - 95%
    2. UMASS - 90%
    3. BYU - 83%
    4. La Tech - 80%
    5. Kentucky - 70%
    6. Ole miss - 67%
    7. LSU - 51% - This game should be indicative of how our season goes.
    8. Arkansas - 50% - Since it's away, this one's a coin flip.
    9. Texas A&M - 42% - We haven't played well in College Station.
    10. Georgia - 40% - Really don't know what to think of Georgia. Don't like that it's in Athens.
    11. Auburn - 35% - This is a possible upset, but it being at Auburn might seal our fate.
    12. Alabama - 5% - Would be 0%, but it's at home.

vCash
    DD - yours is pretty much what I would pick.

About UGA - everyone needs to view this as at worst a toss up at this time. UGA will suspend at least 1 key player for the season for something (always do); Michel and Chubb have serious histories with injuries and nothing behind them in the depth chart is scary; having 17 returning starters from last year may not be a good thing - their D was eh, and O inconsistent; they needed an influx of ready to play OL in this class and at least 1 didn't even make it to campus - that's a scary thing to be counting on; I still thing they have Ray Goff 2.0 as a head coach - helluva assistant, eh as HC.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Charleston Southern 98%
    umass 95%
    BYU 80%
    La tech 75%
    UK 70%
    TSUN 65%
    Arkansas 60%
    A&M 51 %
    UGA 49%
    LSU45%
    Auburn 40%
    AL 25%
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    OM will be scrappy because like a cornered critter they will have nothing to lose but they will be badly overmatched. Their flaky fans won't even show up in Starkville.

Our QB and DC know Georgia quite well and might have some extra inspiration to kick their arse. That alone helps with the comfort level of the team and will give extra motivation to the team.

LA Tech is a trap. I repeat LA TECH IS A TRAP!!!! We can't look ahead. We must focus on them or they will do us like SALABAMA did.

Like 2014 we need to click on offense in the first two games and play great in the gauntlet. If we make it out of the gauntlet 2-1 or 3-0 it will be another magical season. If not it will be a fight to bowl eligibility.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    LA Tech lost two NFL draft picks at receiver and another one at safety so I don't think they'll be as dangerous as they were last year, but their QB is pretty solid. They probably won't have an answer for stopping Fitz though.

vCash
    Charleston Southern
    U Mass
    La Tech
    BYU
    Kentucky
    --------------
    TSUN
    Arkansas
    Texas A&M
    Georgia
    LSU
    Auburn
    Alabama

I see 2 of our 3 toughest games being home games. I feel pretty confident (say 70% or better) on the first 5 games. After that, there's a drop in confidence. OM always scares me.... they will pull out everything they've got this year. We SHOULD win that game, but we've gone into many past Egg Bowl's with the same chance and come up on the wrong end. Hopefully, we can at least split Arky and A&M, then the bottom 4 will be tough. So I like our chances to win 7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Charleston Southern
    U Mass
    La Tech
    BYU
    Kentucky
    --------------
    TSUN
    Arkansas
    Texas A&M
    Georgia
    LSU
    Auburn
    Alabama

I see 2 of our 3 toughest games being home games. I feel pretty confident (say 70% or better) on the first 5 games. After that, there's a drop in confidence. OM always scares me.... they will pull out everything they've got this year. We SHOULD win that game, but we've gone into many past Egg Bowl's with the same chance and come up on the wrong end. Hopefully, we can at least split Arky and A&M, then the bottom 4 will be tough. So I like our chances to win 7.
    This is pretty close to how I feel about the season....I think we have 5 should wins, and then I think it is reasonable to expect us to go 2-2 against OM, A&M, Arky, and UGA. I also think we will have a team that is capable of beating LSU at home, but I just don't think that we will do it. It took future NFL ROY Dak Prescott to drag us over the mental hump and pick up our first win in almost 15 years......and he almost did it 2 years in a row (which would have been a huge step towards changing to program's mindset about that game), but once again, we shit our pants and a choked away our chance to kick the game winner at the end of the game.

Now all that said, I think there is a chance that our team could be a legitimate contender this year. I am starting to get really wooly about our defense under Grantham. The only thing that gives me pause about our team are our receivers......specifically our outside receivers. We have a few solid #2 type outside receivers, but if we had just one game changing outside receiver that opposing safeties always had to account for then I would have some really high expectations for this team. Hopefully some guys will break out this year, because we could be a really good team this year if they do.

vCash
    Charleston Southern - 95%
    UMASS - 95%
    La Tech - 75%
    BYU - 75%
    Kentucky - 65%
    Arkansas - 60%
    Ole Miss - 55%
    Texas A&M - 50%
    LSU - 49%
    Georgia - 49%
    Auburn - 40%
    Alabama - 4%
    Last edited by Bothrops; 08-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.

vCash
    Charleston Southern
    Umass
    BYU
    La Tech
    Ol Missus
    UK
    Arkansas
    A&M
    UGA
    LSU
    Auburn
    Alabama

vCash
    Charleston Southern - 100%
    UMASS - 100%
    ------ Losing either game is a fireable offense...

BYU - 90% (coming off a bye week/likely loss to Auburn)
    LA Tech -- 80%
    Kentucky - 70%
    Ole Miss - 70%
    ------ Losing any of these 4 would be a huge disappointment

Texas A&M - 50% ---> coming off a bye and 2 losses = def a tossup
    Arkansas - 50% ---> Think they'll be 7-3 at this point coming off a loss to LSU + we don't win in Arkansas often
    LSU - 40% ---> They have more talent and should win, but it'll be a good atmosphere in Davis Wade
    ------These 3 game are the difference between a successful and disappointing season IMO

Georgia - 30% ---> They're more talented, and this reminds me of the game in 2011 for some reason
    Auburn - 30% ----> This is actually a trap game for AU. They'll only have 0 or 1 loss at this point so we have a shot to sneak up on them
    Alabama - 10% ----> Only team left in the West for Mullen to beat... Maybe in 2018 0r 2019 but don't see it happening this time.

So, my O/U for this season is 7.5 -- 7 or 8 wins would be a good lead in to 2018 where 9-10 wins is a real possibility.

vCash
    Charleston Southern (100%) Mullen ain't 17ing this opening game. It'll be 28-0 by end of the first quarter.
    UMass (98%) Our defense shines and A. Williams might set a record.
    BYU (95%) Just on defensive improvement alone we win this game, but our run game breaks them this year.
    LA Tech (90%) Yeah, it's a trap game. The first half of the game will have this board in near meltdown. We prison rape them the second half.
    Ole Miss (85%) They will be broken by November. They'll put up a fight in the first quarter but that's it.
    Kentucky (75%) This won't come down to a field goal. Our defense will be much improved from last year, Plus, stopping our RB stable will be a chore.
    Texas A&M (70%) I don't see A&M improving much from last year. This will be Sumlin's last game vs us as A&M's head coach.
    Arkansas (65%) It's Fat Bert. If we had a defense last year that could have stopped Allen we would have won. We'll have that defense this year.
    Georgia (60%) This is my Upset Special. Mullen wanted the UGA job so this will be one of those games he coaches his ass off.
    LSU (40%) It is Coach O. I'm not sure he's actually an upgrade from Miles. But, LSU is loaded with talent. This could be Upset Special #2.
    Auburn (30%) I'm not completely sold on AU being damn near invincible this season but they are loaded. If their QB lives up to the hype they'll be tough to beat.
    Alabama (10%) Mullen ain't beating Saban, period.