Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Cost of room and board

vCash

OT: Cost of room and board

How much on the average and not living on bread and water does it cost a freshman at MSU, excluding Tuition. And the cost if joining a frat.

vCash
    You are mighty old to be going back to school shannondawg...
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Banned
    vCash
    Depends how comfortable you'd like them to live. $1,500 a month and they don't need to get a job. Less than that and they probably need to work or never go out ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    How much on the average and not living on bread and water does it cost a freshman at MSU, excluding Tuition. And the cost if joining a frat.
    Here's what is on MSU's site. It's not the most definitive, but it's a start.

money-matters

edit: also, don't the freshmen now have to purchase a meal plan?

vCash
    If the parents live in certain counties then the child doesn't have to live in the dorms....

vCash
    If they have to live in dorms, then they will have a mandatory meal plan billed each semester for eating in the dining halls. If they're in a fraternity, them the school waives the meal plan and the house picks up that expense and bills as part of membership dues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    If the parents live in certain counties then the child doesn't have to live in the dorms....
    Dorm life builds character...

vCash
    you can expect ~1700 a semester for fraternity life.

vCash
    I can't imagine not living in the freshman dorm. It's a great experience that you never want to do again. Wouldn't change it for anything and you meet tons of people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    I can't imagine not living in the freshman dorm. It's a great experience that you never want to do again. Wouldn't change it for anything and you meet tons of people.
    I was in Hightower my freshman year. Not too sure about the great experience part, but I agree I never wanted to do it again.

vCash
    Sorority is killing me, as you know it ain't at Msu either, that would be like a discount if it was.

vCash
    I wish a 1,000 times I would have bought a house in a pretty nice subdivision with 3 or 4 bedrooms and rented out a couple to roommates and then sold it after she finished in May. Or, I could keep it for a 2nd home. The rent would have paid for the house for 4 years at least. My uncle did that and he made enough to practically pay for my cousin's school and about 25% profit on the house. He found a house off south Montgomery in one of ghose older subdivisions.. He was there 5 years.

vCash
    Just give him a blank check! Seriously, it costs us about $20,000 last year for my daughter. That's all in (room, board, sorority, insurance, incidentals...everything). Luckily, we had a MPACT plan, so no tuition costs for five years...anything more than five years and she's on her own.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Freshman year of college in Evans & Suttle dorms I had the most fun of any year of my life and unbelievably was able to maintain a passing gpa. It is an absolute must experience imo.

vCash
    Basedawg, I think you should tell everybody where she goes to school.

vCash
    I think dorm life all depends on your roommate and hall mates. My roommate was terrible and my floor was pretty lame. The floor below me though was college life just like you would see in a movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Freshman year of college in Evans & Suttle dorms I had the most fun of any year of my life and unbelievably was able to maintain a passing gpa. It is an absolute must experience imo.
    I lived in Evans and Suttle too.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rabbit Dawg View Post
    Just give him a blank check! Seriously, it costs us about $20,000 last year for my daughter. That's all in (room, board, sorority, insurance, incidentals...everything). Luckily, we had a MPACT plan, so no tuition costs for five years...anything more than five years and she's on her own.
    $20k. That's it? You could easily make that much simply by attentoding two recruiting events in Oxford.**

vCash
    Living in a dorm your first year will cost about $2,000-$4,000 per semester depending on where you stay. The general meal plan they sign all freshman students up for is about $2,000 a semester, although this can be changed within the first week or two to a more basic and cheaper option (but they won't tell you that). Fraternity life will be anywhere from $800-$2000 per semester for dues only.

vCash
    Basedawg, I think you should tell everybody where she goes to school.
    Well where she goes is really good at not revealing names!

I have MPact as well and it's a blessing but that sorority life is more expensive than Msu.

Btw Shannondawg, she didn't even know Freezes resigned, she could care less, it's her social life not athletics she cares about.

Btw, you and AROB44 stirring the pot***.