Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarion Ledger

vCash
    on his way out of town when he was moving to virginia, john grisham responded to a question by the CL reporter by saying, "the powers-that-be in mississippi want the rebels to win!" that was probably 15 or 20 years ago....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Nobody would have to get disrespected if the older generations would learn to let the younger generations lead.
    I spent too much time with Dr. Zacharias studying and discussing the topic of leadership to let this pass without comment.

I am 47. Too old to be young, and too young to be old. Textbook GenX. Raised in Brandon, working life started at State, then Georgia, and on to national and international leadership roles.

There is no place, nor no time, nor no role in my life - student, employee, manager, entrepreneur, church member, association leadership, etc. - where I have been held back from being a leader by anything other than my own preparation and my own choices of attitude and approach.

People will respond to an effective leader no matter his or her age. *cough*Dak*cough* If people aren't responding, chances are good that you're not actually demonstrating leadership qualities that inspire confidence in following you. Griping about how generational disrespect is holding you back is an easy cop out that is more about blaming people than leading people. Want to be a leader? Pick a project and lead.

Sorry, nothing personal. I don't know you or your story. I just think that comment represents a fundamental misunderstanding of leadership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I spent too much time with Dr. Zacharias studying and discussing the topic of leadership to let this pass without comment.

I am 47. Too old to be young, and too young to be old. Textbook GenX. Raised in Brandon, working life started at State, then Georgia, and on to national and international leadership roles.

There is no place, nor no time, nor no role in my life - student, employee, manager, entrepreneur, church member, association leadership, etc. - where I have been held back from being a leader by anything other than my own preparation and my own choices of attitude and approach.

People will respond to an effective leader no matter his or her age. *cough*Dak*cough* If people aren't responding, chances are good that you're not actually demonstrating leadership qualities that inspire confidence in following you. Griping about how generational disrespect is holding you back is an easy cop out that is more about blaming people than leading people. Want to be a leader? Pick a project and lead.

Sorry, nothing personal. I don't know you or your story. I just think that comment represents a fundamental misunderstanding of leadership.
    You sir knocked it out of the park!

+1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Unfortunately, Keenum has demonstrated no sack in such matters.

Unlike a mutual fund, I expect past performance to predict future results.
    Keenums sack, in difference to the juvenile wants of idiots ,is why we aren't going in front of a COI right now.

Lighten up Francis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Calm down, Kemosabe. RC doesn't work for the CL and hasn't in ages. He works for the MS Sports Hall of Fame. RC may have been a true Mustard Buzzard, but when he was sports editor at the CL, the out and out bias wasn't nearly as bad. Sure, it was slanted and we all knew it. But the CL has become the Pravda for UNM athletics since RC left.

If we want to hurt the CL, we have to stop giving them clicks and/or canceling subscriptions. Until we hit them in the wallet, nothing is going to change. Although I have been yelling for us to cut their access for years until they decide they can play ball. They need us not the other way around and it's past time we flexed our muscle on that front.
    Cancelled my subscription in 2011 and haven't looked back.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

+1
    I'm sorry do either of you qualify as blue hairs that sit at football games and bitch constantly about everyone else whose standing and cheering to sit down? If not kindly STFU as you're leaving the reservation on the topic currently

vCash
    I'm sorry do either of you qualify as blue hairs that sit at football games and bitch constantly about everyone else whose standing and cheering to sit down? If not kindly STFU as you're leaving the reservation on the topic currently
    Q.E.D.

vCash
    Well, this is bullshit. The CL is pro OM because their people and tradition are OM. Their advertisers are OM. Much of their readership is OM. It is nothing more than that. They know where their money comes from.

If you can get four or five of your friends to go down and each of you take out a three or four year contract for a quarter page of ad space, they will kiss your ass and then ask what can they do to keep you happy. Call in and place 50,000 subscriptions and they will do the same. The entire sports department will make a personal appearance at your door to see what your sports opinions are.

OJ once said, "Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you get." The man may be a cold blooded killer, but there is much wisdom in his words.

Newspapers are not ethics and sports equality. They are ad space and whatever they can do to retain subscriptions so they can somehow remain afloat in the internet and 24 hour cable news age.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcentral View Post
    "I can't tell you how many of the BH's still get pissed off when we stand at games. Some times I honestly believe they'd rather have the pre Mullen 11 am half full stadiums so they could treat the games similar to a Sunday picnic, as opposed to the loud rowdy night crowds we have had the last 7 years or so. "

I always consider that these guys might be military vets, or maybe spent most of their lives busting their ass to provide for their family.
    They might even have played football for MSU.

Maybe you have the knees of a 70 year old, so you might understand. I'm still of an age when I can manage to stand for the action, but I'll never be 30-35 again, when it's ok to disrespect the folks that paved the way for me.
    Ummmm. Nice try. Would've required 4 times Guadal Canal and Iwo Jima to fill half the bottom bowl. Don't ilfibe me this BS.

Banned
    vCash

Let me clarify, this is actually a very good post it's just getting a little off topic from the Clarion Ledger being a giant piece of shit and it doesn't really deal with my point that the older generations like to have their time and everyone else's time too.

vCash
    Let me know Cowpower when you want to sit by me, pretty sure you would get a better picture of me and some of my BH friends along with some of my younger friends. Some can talk the talk and walk the walk but many can't. Pretty sure from your past where you stand.

HailState!

Banned
    vCash
    Nobody would have to get disrespected if the older generations would learn to let the younger generations lead.
    You forgot the *** 61, you swung and missed badly!
    Here is a perfect example
    Some things never change cowpower.

+1
    Let me know Cowpower when you want to sit by me, pretty sure you would get a better picture of me and some of my BH friends along with some of my younger friends. Some can talk the talk and walk the walk but many can't. Pretty sure from your past where you stand.

HailState!
    Whose Cowpower? Is that a poster from a different board or is that your favorite insult right now? Not real sure why you are trying to have a dick measuring contest with me right now basedog as I am not the poster that started the blue hair discussion but the internet tough guy act went out of style ten years ago along with Jersey Shore.

vCash
    I've been a long-time proponent of pulling the CL's credentials, if for no other reason but to get their attention into how biased their coverage has been and continues to be. Why any MSU fan still buys or visits their website is incomprehensible given the CL's past transgressions toward our university.

vCash

Spot on!
    Read this book if you're interested in being a leader. "Turn The Ship Around" by L. David Marquet (Retired Captain)
    He turned the worst sub in the Navy around and became the best sub in the Navy, simply by leading instead of following.

vCash
    Whose Cowpower? Is that a poster from a different board or is that your favorite insult right now? Not real sure why you are trying to have a dick measuring contest with me right now basedog as I am not the poster that started the blue hair discussion but the internet tough guy act went out of style ten years ago along with Jersey Shore.
    Whose talking tough guy? Seems you call out BH leadership, my comment to you was "swing and miss" then u got your panties in a wad.

Insult, u must be kidding with such. If u aren't Cowpower then u must be related as it's the same ole sh*t with u and BH.
    Quit eating our own dude!

vCash
    Off topic eh? but it's okay to go off topic when you agree with the post? Read above:

"Excellent post, rep given and I would like to invite you to join the political board too please. Oh and it's a new day in MSU land. Blue hairs can sit back and enjoy the success the younger MSU grads will bring them. We know they will."

You didn't start the BH topic, but you were fine with it until you were challenged. Maybe you should consider your own words when telling others to stfu.

vCash
    Perhaps USAToday needs to know about their tiny little shit newspaper "co-worker" intentionally burying Ole Miss info and speaking as loud and ugly as possible about MSU. Maybe this is their angle to the big story they want. Whose the USAToday writer that has been covering the Ole Miss stuff?
    The big story for USA Today is the Freeze sex scandal and the OM NCAA investigation.....that is what sells, not the lack of coverage by the CL.

However, Gannett would probably have some pretty pointed questions if they found out that someone tried to hand this story to the CL -- a long, drawn out story that would have generated them all kinds of newspaper sales and website clicks over a period of years -- and they didn't deem the story worthy of their resources.....or that the one reporter they had that actually dug and got a scoop on this story was immediately run out of the whole damn state (Riley Blevins).

If you email Gannett, that should be your focus.....if you send them an email whining about bias against MSU they won't even finish reading the email. But if you send them an email asking them why they are allowing the CL to cost their company and their shareholders money by not covering one of the biggest sports stories that has come out of the state in decades (and actually has regional and national interest), that might get their attention.....it wouldn't take long for them to see how little they have covered the story or to see that the one story that they actually broke led to that reporter leaving the company and the state. There is at least a chance that that could lead to some tough questions that would be difficult for the CL's leadership to answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    I've been a long-time proponent of pulling the CL's credentials, if for no other reason but to get their attention into how biased their coverage has been and continues to be. Why any MSU fan still buys or visits their website is incomprehensible given the CL's past transgressions toward our university.
    The newspaper is current Polaroid or Horse Buggy...yahoo sports and ESPN.com much more valuable than CL. Just throw them out and never let them back in. That would keep the other state papers scared and compliant

vCash

From one mid 40s GenXer to another - dead ****ing on!

vCash
    Don't be a dumbass. Do you understand how it would impact our athletic department if all the 'blue hairs' decided to close their wallets, cease all support of MSU athletics and let all of us young guns show them how it's done? The lost donations and the lost revenue generated from sky boxes, premium seating and season ticket sales (a lot of those blue hairs fund tickets for their 3 kids and 8 grand kids too) would add up pretty quick. In short, we need our blue hairs' money and we should respect their loyal support through a bunch of shitty seasons of football.

One other thing to consider: I have no doubt that there are some crotchety old ****ers that think they are entitled to some kind of special treatment......but this will be my 9th football season as a non-student (and I've held season tickets for every season but one), and I have never once had a bad run in with a blue hair. I caught some looks during my first season as a non-student, because I was acting the same way that I acted in the student section (getting whiskey bent and screaming things that no civilized adult should scream in a public setting). Don't get me wrong, I am anything but a passive fan -- I yell, cuss and cheer my ass off and I still make sure to take enough bourbon in to keep me a little rowdy (without getting plastered).....but I am now considerate of the people around me. I understand that standing for the entire game or even the entire time we're on defense is not something that you do outside of the student section.....most people aren't interested in doing that and a lot of people are unable to. But my point is that I am reasonably respectful, while still cheering, yelling, standing in key situations, etc., and I haven't had a single bad experience with an older fan in 8 seasons.......so with the way you make it sound like they are all over the place and having an impact on our game environment, you might want to consider the idea that you are a miserable, inconsiderate, prick of a fan (generally, the guy who runs into assholes all day every day is in fact the asshole).

Just a thought.