Thread: HailState athletics, if you are reading this please consider a Jack podcast

vCash

HailState athletics, if you are reading this please consider a Jack podcast

Go back and grab the audio from 25 or 30 great games over the years and edit them down to an hour long podcast. I would kill to put on our beloved Jack Cristil calling a game when I'm cooking some burgers, working out, traveling, etc. Let me hear the famous State v Memphis State game with Rocky Felker. Of course the 1980 Bama game but also other games like the 99 egg bowl. Let my sons hear "white trousers with maroon piping" and "he runs into a pile of humanity" and especially "wrap it in maroon and white." It would also be a great way for our parents and grandparents to relive great moments sitting in front of the radio. It would bring huge smiles to many, many State fans.

Other than cowbells, Jack is our greatest tradition. This would be a great way to keep it alive.

vCash
    Don't forget the comeback win at Auburn.

vCash
    And one that was not a pleasant day, but had Jacks signature on it...................
    The drive of the day is my drive back to Tupelo! I was down about the game, but couldn't help but laugh when he said that!

vCash
    This is a great idea.

Banned
    vCash
    Hell of an idea and it would ROCK.

Since I'm in my mid 50's, I realize there are younger folks here that only have memories of Jack towards the end when his age and health were getting the better of him. Let me tell you younger fans, there was NOBODY that came close to this guy behind the mic come game day. Not only did he patton those classic one liners like Gtown mentions above, his prior to the snap comments were uncanny. It took a very sharp mind to do what he did creating a visual for the listener. You literally knew where all 22 players were lined up before the play.

And even when we were getting our asses kicked, he could make you laugh. I don't think any radio guy ever enjoyed his job more than Jack did. You could tell by listening to him it was more than just a job. The first game I remember listening to was our egg bowl victory while Archie sat on the sidelines in a cast. think I was 6. Wish I had a nickel for every hour I sat by the radio listening to him.

vCash
    The CD that came with Sid Salter's book on Jack's life has plenty of audio. But I do agree that a podcast version or any standalone audio collection of Jack's work (via MP3, CD, podcast, etc.) would be a big hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Hell of an idea and it would ROCK.

Since I'm in my mid 50's, I realize there are younger folks here that only have memories of Jack towards the end when his age and health were getting the better of him. Let me tell you younger fans, there was NOBODY that came close to this guy behind the mic come game day. Not only did he patton those classic one liners like Gtown mentions above, his prior to the snap comments were uncanny. It took a very sharp mind to do what he did creating a visual for the listener. You literally knew where all 22 players were lined up before the play.

And even when we were getting our asses kicked, he could make you laugh. I don't think any radio guy ever enjoyed his job more than Jack did. You could tell by listening to him it was more than just a job. The first game I remember listening to was our egg bowl victory while Archie sat on the sidelines in a cast. think I was 6. Wish I had a nickel for every hour I sat by the radio listening to him.
    For sure. Like the Liberty Bowl game in Philadelphia where it was "colder than a pawn broker's heart." Famous game and Jack was fairly young. I'd love to hear that game.

vCash
    The ball was never in the middle of the field. It was equidistant from the sideline stripes.

Banned
    vCash
    "6 tall, 240 pound sophomore out of Vicksburg"

Great voice to boot. developed from scotch and cigs?

vCash
    Maroon headgears

vCash
    I'm pissed that there is no statue of Jack on campus. I want to see him immortalized with mic in one hand and cigarette in the other.

vCash
    Flounder, I'm with you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    "6 tall, 240 pound sophomore out of Vicksburg"

Great voice to boot. developed from scotch and cigs?
    By way of Vicksburg

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I'm pissed that there is no statue of Jack on campus. I want to see him immortalized with mic in one hand and cigarette in the other.
    with a tumbler glass within hand's reach

Banned
    vCash
    can't do that these days though. in the UK, they've even been forced to remove the cigar from Churchill in the famous wax museum.

vCash
    The court at the hump needs to be dedicated as Jack Cristil Court

vCash
    Or at least the Jack Cristil Land of Milk and Honey Endzone.