Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **Negative Post Alert** Offensive Line Depth.....

Banned
    vCash

**Negative Post Alert** Offensive Line Depth.....

Seniors: Rankin
    Juniors: Calhoun, Cochran, Jenkins, Phillips**, Champion**
    Sophomores: Story, Williams, Moon, Wilkerson*
    RS Freshmen: Parker, Eiland, Reese
    Freshmen: Suggs, Richardson (both are apparently grade risks)

*walk-on, doesn't include guys listed at ATH
    **may redshirt

Conclusion: Either we are the worst offensive line recruiters in the SEC, or they simply do not care about the future of the program.

The immediate future is fine, although it can be better. Whether or not we redshirt Phillips and Champion doesn't really matter to me, chances are one plays and the other redshirts, so we have good depth in the upperclass for 2017 and 2018, which should be peak years for us. My concern is who is going to block for Thompson and Mayden? Thompson better go pro after his junior year because we are looking like the early Croom years if they don't get this problem corrected. Hitting the JUCO well for offensive linemen is not the percentage play either.

vCash
    No doubt we have to get better at OL recruiting, but we may the best LT prospect in America committed.

Not sure yet what they line protecting Thompson or Mayden will be, but have Johnson committed is a great start.

If Johnson & Suggs are the real deal, your probably pretty good at the tackle positions.

vCash
    If we get 2 HS Oline this year that is pathetic even if they are great recruits. That just isn't enough on a year to year basis. If we get zero in then Mullen needs to reevaluate how the Oline is being built. The Oline could possibly cost us anywhere from 2-4 games by themselves. Seeing our Oline get pushed around by 2nd string 250lb DT in the USA game last year should have gotten Hev fired. I don't know if I have ever seen a SEC line play worse against someone that they should have completely dominated just from size alone.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Seniors: Rankin
    Juniors: Calhoun, Cochran, Jenkins, Phillips**, Champion**
    Sophomores: Story, Williams, Moon, Wilkerson*
    RS Freshmen: Parker, Eiland, Reese
    Freshmen: Suggs, Richardson (both are apparently grade risks)

*walk-on, doesn't include guys listed at ATH
    **may redshirt

Conclusion: Either we are the worst offensive line recruiters in the SEC, or they simply do not care about the future of the program.

The immediate future is fine, although it can be better. Whether or not we redshirt Phillips and Champion doesn't really matter to me, chances are one plays and the other redshirts, so we have good depth in the upperclass for 2017 and 2018, which should be peak years for us. My concern is who is going to block for Thompson and Mayden? Thompson better go pro after his junior year because we are looking like the early Croom years if they don't get this problem corrected. Hitting the JUCO well for offensive linemen is not the percentage play either.
    The 2020 OL that you're already fretting will likely have a 4yr starter in Reese, a probable 3yr starter in Eiland, & perhaps the highest rated HS recruit Mullen has signed in K. Johnson as a True Jr or RS Soph. Also D. Parker is already in the 2 deep will most likely going into his 2nd year as a starter after taking over for Calhoun in 2019. That doesn't include Suggs, Richardson, & whoever else we sign in this class or next year class plus any potential Juco OL commits in 2019 or 2020. I know worrying about the OL year in & year out is the thing to do but damn worrying about the 2020 OL is a new one to me.

vCash
    I looked at this last night as well. Big thing that jumps out are the numbers. If those guys don't get in we have 13 OL on the roster. I looked at AL, and they have 16 with an avg. of 3 per class. Seems like you'd want more than that.

vCash
    Would be really nice if Scott Lashley got the hell out of Bama where he'll never playe, transfer to EMCC or Co-lin & rectify a crappy situation for all

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The 2020 OL that you're already fretting will likely have a 4yr starter in Reese, a probable 3yr starter in Eiland, & perhaps the highest rated HS recruit Mullen has signed in K. Johnson as a True Jr or RS Soph. Also D. Parker is already in the 2 deep will most likely going into his 2nd year as a starter after taking over for Calhoun in 2019. That doesn't include Suggs, Richardson, & whoever else we sign in this class or next year class plus any potential Juco OL commits in 2019 or 2020. I know worrying about the OL year in & year out is the thing to do but damn worrying about the 2020 OL is a new one to me.
    Offensive line is the heart of the football team, and it is very often what brings down MSU teams in the past. History has shown this over and over again. I gave you the numbers, and they are very troubling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    I looked at this last night as well. Big thing that jumps out are the numbers. If those guys don't get in we have 13 OL on the roster. I looked at AL, and they have 16 with an avg. of 3 per class. Seems like you'd want more than that.
    We have 13 on campus now, Suggs & Richardson are expected in the next week or 2 so that brings the total to 15. We have 1 Sr we will likely sign 4 so that brings the total to 18. Say we have 1-2 transfer so at worst next year we go into the season with 16-17 OL. The #'s aren't as bad as they seem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Would be really nice if Scott Lashley got the hell out of Bama where he'll never playe, transfer to EMCC or Co-lin & rectify a crappy situation for all
    Actually, he's in decent shape to see some playing time during his career... he redshirted last year and is listed behind a SO that will be a 3 year guy at OT (Jonah Williams).

Of course, this doesn't take into account future signees.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Actually, he's in decent shape to see some playing time during his career... he redshirted last year and is listed behind a SO that will be a 3 year guy at OT (Jonah Williams).

If Williams will start for 3 years, and Bama will get future 5* tackles, sounds to me like you're saying Lashley won't play much. How is your other tackle?

vCash
    Offensive line is the heart of the football team, and it is very often what brings down MSU teams in the past. History has shown this over and over again. I gave you the numbers, and they are very troubling.
    If you did this same exercise 3 years ago you wouldn't know half the names in our two-deep now and that's with only 1 senior. Of course OLine talent needs to improve, but the numbers are fine, assuming Richardson and Suggs qualify as expected.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    If you did this same exercise 3 years ago you wouldn't know half the names in our two-deep now and that's with only 1 senior. Of course OLine talent needs to improve, but the numbers are fine, assuming Richardson and Suggs qualify as expected.
    True but we did get 2 JUCO OL last cycle. Those aren't guaranteed. I am not into coach bashing but there are rumors that we only recruit certain JUCOs in this state. Big mistake.

For the record I was complaining about the recruiting then as well. I want every year to look like 2010, because not all win pan out and we will lose some to attrition.

I disagree on the numbers, obviously. I can live with lesser talent that we develop over the time, but that makes the proper numbers (and depth) even more important. If you're taking less guys, you can't wait 3-4 years for them to develop.
    Last edited by Hasu Dackds; 07-31-2017 at 12:29 PM.

vCash
    We had a couple of horrible years of OL recruiting. The '13 class turned out particularly terrible, although it looked good on paper. That is why we have no 5th year seniors.

Since then, we have had mediocre classes that have turned out pretty good. They have been young until this year.

Our OL this year will be the most talented in several years. Whether, that turns into good play or they look like they are playing South Alabama remains to be seen.

Having said all of that, we need to get three signees on campus every year and we are stuck hoping two can qualify. That is a problem that has to be rectified this year with enough signees to average 3 per class.

vCash
    True but we did get 2 JUCO OL last cycle. Those aren't guaranteed. I am not into coach bashing but there are rumors that we only recruit certain JUCOs in this state. Big mistake.

For the record I was complaining about the recruiting then as well. I want every year to look like 2010, because not all win pan out and we will lose some to attrition.

I disagree on the numbers, obviously. I can live with lesser talent that we develop over the time, but that makes the proper numbers (and depth) even more important. If you're taking less guys, you can't wait 3-4 years for them to develop.
    It does seem we focus on the better JUCOs. Do you know of any great OL talent in MS JUCOs this year?

Banned
    vCash

Thanks for saying what I've been saying for some time. I'd also like to add that if people don't think Lashley can hack it at Bama or is guaranteed to "never play", then there is no reason to be pissed about losing him. If he can't at least make the 2-deep, it means he has no prayer of holding his own against Alabama's front 7 in practice. And that means he doesn't really improve our situation at all, as poor OL play against Bama / LSU / etc. has been our biggest weakness in the Mullen tenure. Nobody bitches about our OL not being able to make holes against Kentucky, Arkansas, and Vandy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    If Williams will start for 3 years, and Bama will get future 5* tackles, sounds to me like you're saying Lashley won't play much. How is your other tackle?
    you're correct... If there are no injuries, no improvement from Lashley, and Bama gets a 5* OT (or 2) that live up to the rating, Lashley will have to fight to Start... but they all have to fight for a job... Bammer needs depth at OL, as well....

Also, another variable is development, which I don't know enough to comment.

At RT, there's a RS SO & a true FR that's supposed to be a "savage"...
    Last edited by TUSK; 07-31-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Also, another variable is development, which I don't know enough to comment.

At RT, there's a RS SO & a true FR that's supposed to be a "savage"...
    Development was always the X-factor with Lashley. Athletically, he was probably the most elite OL prospect out of MS in years, but he was very raw (only played a couple years of HS football if I'm not mistaken). The fact that he's already climbed as high as he has on the depth chart tells me he is making at least some strides in becoming a more technically sound player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What makes you think he wants to play for Hevesy? If he had wanted to play for State, he would have signed with us out of high school. I understand he is related to one of our all time greats, Johnnie Cooks. Absolute shame to miss out like that. Very poor recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    What makes you think he wants to play for Hevesy? If he had wanted to play for State, he would have signed with us out of high school. I understand he is related to one of our all time greats, Johnnie Cooks. Absolute shame to miss out like that. Very poor recruiting.
    They're not related but the 2 families are good friends.

vCash
    AL/AU: When our inside running game doesn't even exist and talented, aggressive DB's jump our short routes and fail to respect any downfield passing threat, and Fitzgerald gets clobbered and Coach Mullen predictably does what he has always done against those teams which is what I just listed.....please note that our lack of talent on the offensive line is largely to blame. Thanks HEV.

We can get away with this conservative, predictable offensive strategy against lesser talented teams, but not the better teams on our schedule.

We should at least be thankful that there will be a RB with size to MAYBE pick up a few of those yards in our running game....not *completely* giving up hope yet.