Thread: Home Security

vCash

Home Security

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen had a home security system and camera setup that you would recommend. I'd prefer the cameras to be a network solution not coaxial.

I'm also curious about driveway alarms. Does anyone use them and do they get annoying?

We had some guys scoping out our house last night. They neighbors spotted them and ran them off.... 3 times in one night. I called the PD. They are watching out for them but I think it's time to invest in some kind of security system.

Thanks, fellas.

vCash
    I've had an alarm thru Vivint for 10 years. I haven't bumped up to cameras but I know they offer them.

I went thru a similar thing 10 years ago - over a 3 week period, we got hit by the same guy 3 time. 1 time rummaged thru an unlocked car, then stole a bike from a shed, then got bold and kicked in the back door around lunch time one day. Wife and kids arrived home in the middle of it.

Vivint works great deals on installation, has very good customer service, and is relatively inexpensive on their monitoring. The only downside is - being a Utah based company - they still do door-to-door sales just like their kids on missions. Annoying, but harmless.

vCash
    I have Vivint as well. I think they're monitoring fees are on the high side according to comparisons I did a couple of years ago. I do like some of the home automation that's included. If I had to do over I wouldn't choose Vivint mainly because of where I live there's too much lag time for response.

Someone on here or another board posted the following I believe for cameras: Hikvision, Arlo, EZ Viz, Abode.

vCash
    thanks for the input guys!

vCash
    I used to have a big ass German Shepard that would make you shi$ in your pants.

vCash
    I ended up just getting a Nest Cam to watch the main entrance. Getting some other DIY smart alarms that work with Amazon's Alexa. Hopefully I can build this all myself and save some coin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by huffy View Post
    I ended up just getting a Nest Cam to watch the main entrance. Getting some other DIY smart alarms that work with Amazon's Alexa. Hopefully I can build this all myself and save some coin.
    I would think that the only downside to that would be upfront cost and immediate notification of police/fire. With the way the apps for those work now, I guess it just means you become the "monitor" you pay $49 a month for with the alarm companies.

vCash

Anyone ever had or used Simplisafe? I've been thinking about purchasing but

would like to know how reliable it is before doing so.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I would think that the only downside to that would be upfront cost and immediate notification of police/fire. With the way the apps for those work now, I guess it just means you become the "monitor" you pay $49 a month for with the alarm companies.
    $170 for Nest cam.
    $150 for Alexa enabled security gear.
    I'll eventually get a Nest smoke alarm.

All of these will immediately notify me on my mobile once when activity is detected. Only subscription is the Nest Cam. $10 a month for cloud storage. I think it will work out to be a more cost effective solution in the long run.

vCash
    Save the monthly fees and install surveillance cameras. Typically, thieves will see those and rob someone else (has been my experience anyway). Total cost ~$300.

vCash
    One thing about alarm systems is that more an more areas are now requiring alarm permits. Can run you anywhere between 100 - 250. If the cops go out to your house and you don't have a permit you will be cited. Gulfport and Biloxi require you to have one. Big barking dog always does the trick.