Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Recruiting

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Basketball Recruiting

So who is the supposed recruit we are after that's a bigger fish than Woodard? I heard B.Walker hint at this but he didn't have a name.

vCash
    Pretty sure Woodard is the remaining top target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Pretty sure Woodard is the remaining top target.
    Not Woodard. Supposedly someone rated higher.

vCash
    Paul mentioned some possible names yesterday on 247 I believe in a thread.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    I hope we can sign Robert Woodard's son, his daddy was a great player for us. I love legacy's and tradition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I hope we can sign Robert Woodard's son, his daddy was a great player for us. I love legacy's and tradition.
    Me too...there is only a few higher rated players on 247 at his position that are uncommitted. A local, legacy player will be much more valuable to the program than a few extra points in a rating matrix.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Me too...there is only a few higher rated players on 247 at his position that are uncommitted. A local, legacy player will be much more valuable to the program than a few extra points in a rating matrix.
    I don't think it is someone at the same position. I believe it is a big. Also, I don't think Howland will hesitate to sign both Woodard and the higher ranked big.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm of the same opinion if it's a difference in ratings separating them, or even a small difference in skill i.e. a bit better shooter or athlete.

Woodard seems to be a great passer & defender w/ a great motor & head on his shoulders. But I trust Howland's evaluation & if he thinks he can get another guy that has skills that Woodard doesn't have i.e. elite shooter or athleticism, or fills holes Woodard doesn't in terms of versatility, then I understand backing off a local legacy.

Seems like Woodard was an early bloomer polished by his dad & got rated highly as an underclassman, but may not have a much higher ceiling than what he's already showing. I want to see him in maroon, & think he'd be a great glue guy that we don't currently have, but I'm fine w/ going after someone w/ higher upside.

vCash
    It's not in place of Woodard it is in ADDITION to Woodard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    Not Woodard. Supposedly someone rated higher.
    There are only two players rated higher on 247 listed as targets. So maybe Little or Williams. This could turn out to be a ridiculous class if this is true. If we added Woodard now we would jump to #1 rated class as they sit currently.

vCash
    I'm paraphrasing Paul (or Robbie) but I'm close......

"If the highly rated players that have surfaced wanted to come, the numbers would work out."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I'm paraphrasing Paul (or Robbie) but I'm close......

"If the highly rated players that have surfaced wanted to come, the numbers would work out."
    Yes someone would have to be processed maybe 2 would have to. I wish someone "in the know" could shed some light on this mysterious player and whether or not it is true or not.

vCash
    Out of curiosity/slightly off topic. For those of you that follow basketball... How far away are we from competing for a real shot at getting in the tourney? What are yalls expectations of this years team? NIT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Out of curiosity/slightly off topic. For those of you that follow basketball... How far away are we from competing for a real shot at getting in the tourney? What are yalls expectations of this years team? NIT?
    I think we make the tourney(NCAA) this year. Next year....LOOK OUT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    It's not in place of Woodard it is in ADDITION to Woodard.
    Hopefully it's Bol Bol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Yes someone would have to be processed maybe 2 would have to. I wish someone "in the know" could shed some light on this mysterious player and whether or not it is true or not.
    Yes, please. As bulldogsmsu pointed out, only two players are rated higher on our targets board. If Robbie works for 247, does that mean it would be him updating the board?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    MSU fans are going to have varying opinion on this. I think we expect the tournament next year, 100%.

For this year, my expectations are at minimum an NIT berth, hoping to just miss the tournament by a few spots. I'm probably somewhere in the middle of fan expectations for this year. Although expectations and desires are two different things.

vCash
    The fact that we signed home and home deals with Cincy and Dayton for the next two years tells you what Coach Howland thinks. I'm of the opinion that we will take the South Carolina route where we compete for an NCAA spot this year but will compete for the SEC and at least Sweet 16 in 2018-2019 season.

vCash
    Someone needs to find the list of the jump that Howland has made in his first three years at every stop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    The fact that we signed home and home deals with Cincy and Dayton for the next two years tells you what Coach Howland thinks. I'm of the opinion that we will take the South Carolina route where we compete for an NCAA spot this year but will compete for the SEC and at least Sweet 16 in 2018-2019 season.
    Agree. I know he's been historically great in his third year at every stop, but i'm of the mind it'll be his fourth year here. Of course i'm optimistic for this coming season, but we lost a good player in kegler and it'll be Ado's first year playing real games. I think next year could be the banner year (typical msu thinking what can i say.)