Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can now see the window opening that may get UNM removed from SEC

vCash

I can now see the window opening that may get UNM removed from SEC

I always thought these post were silly until this last week, with allegations coming left and right. Moreover, potentially serious crimes were committed by boosters, coaches, and cover up by admins on a Watergate scale.

If these charges of: hookers, salacious goings on w/HS girls in Memphis, cheating on ACT, pay to play, and there is so much more smoke...come to fruition; I think there will some serious thought of simply banning Mississippi from the privilege of being a member of the SEC.

There is coming a seminal moment where college presidents are gonna have to seriously think about removing such an embarrassment to their conference. I laughed at talk of the DP; now I blv it will happen. I then laughed at the thought of UNM being removed; now I think its at least in play.

Some parts of me want UNM to kicked out for years; some parts of me want them to stay and take brutal beatings week after week. Still, I know this: I want their Rebel Nation to grovel and publicly admit they are cheaters and need to spend quality time (collectively) facing the man in the mirror.
    Last edited by Indndawg; 07-26-2017 at 10:56 AM.

vCash
    The hostage video and Bjerk's remarks about remaining in the SEC and the NCAA was evidently a bit of foreshadowing. I'm not sure the exact comments, but you all know what I'm referring. It's like maybe he knew much more then than he's now willing to let be known.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    If they get more than a one year death penalty, now or when this 2nd/3rd NOA that's seeming more and more likely comes down in a few years, I think it's almost certain they get kicked from the SEC. Faced with a multi-year TV and scheduling dilemma with so many willing prospective replacements around, combined with the years of embarrassment, I think it would be a no-brainer.

vCash
    I think we are definitely looking at the possibility of a 2 year death penalty at this point. If they get a 3rd NOA it's done deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I think we are definitely looking at the possibility of a 2 year death penalty at this point. If they get a 3rd NOA it's done deal.
    A 3rd NOA will have them kicked out of the NCAA. Continued blatant disregard for the rules and policies by multiple administrations. During an active investigation.

vCash

Dear Lord

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    A 3rd NOA will have them kicked out of the NCAA. Continued blatant disregard for the rules and policies by multiple administrations. During an active investigation.
    I never thought about banishment from NCAA.....yuge,,,,yuge

vCash
    I tried to tell y'all they would be lucky to stay in the SEC...

vCash
    I know you did and I was highly skeptical, but there's been a steady preponderance of evidence that just keeps coming in waves that makes me blv, now

vCash
    I guess I'm not saying it's "likely" but if you can't see this storm that is building you are blind. Ole Miss could successfully navigate it and come out with just scholarship losses, bowl bans, and show causes but if they bungle it further (which appears to be their MO) it could really escalate into a loss of membership and potentially academic accreditation.

vCash
    If they lose status in the SEC it will kill the University of Mississippi as we know it. They will be lucky to hang on in the Sun Belt , that is if they will take them, they can't afford to go the independent route. This will inevitably lead to a loss of student population. You reap what you sow shitbirds.

vCash
    If Penn State didnt get kicked out of the Big 10 for what it covered up, then no one is getting kicked out of any conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    If Penn State didnt get kicked out of the Big 10 for what it covered up, then no one is getting kicked out of any conference.
    Unfortunately, this is probably true...

vCash
    The only way they would be removed from the SEC is if they were removed from the NCAA. Period. End of story. Death penalty won't matter. Probation, scholarships, etc won't matter.

For a more fact-based argument, look at athletic revenues: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Ole Miss makes 110mil a year in athletic revenue. The top non Power 5 school? UConn. Forget them, too far north. Next up is UCF at 59mil.
    No matter what the sanctions are, replacing a school that draws 110 million a year with a school that draws 59 million a year is a ridiculous business proposition. Ole Miss will lose athletic revenue, sure. I fully expect us to overtake them. Maybe they fall to 80 million, at the worst. Still will never make it worth the lost revenue to replace them with UCF.

Which is to say: Ole Miss ain't going anywhere.

vCash
    Penn State has ten times the prestige of ole miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    The only way they would be removed from the SEC is if they were removed from the NCAA. Period. End of story. Death penalty won't matter. Probation, scholarships, etc won't matter.

For a more fact-based argument, look at athletic revenues: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Ole Miss makes 110mil a year in athletic revenue. The top non Power 5 school? UConn. Forget them, too far north. Next up is UCF at 59mil.
    No matter what the sanctions are, replacing a school that draws 110 million a year with a school that draws 59 million a year is a ridiculous business proposition. Ole Miss will lose athletic revenue, sure. I fully expect us to overtake them. Maybe they fall to 80 million, at the worst. Still will never make it worth the lost revenue to replace them with UCF.

How much of that is SEC money? I think in 2016 it was $40 million. Take that away from Ole Miss. Add it to new member X Now start looking at Athletic Revenue...

Suddenly, Cincinnati (adjusted revenue $99 million), James Madison (adjusted revenue $87million), Old Dominion (Adjusted Revenue $84 million) ,and East Carolina (adjusted revenue $84 million) don't look too out of line.

Don't be so quick to think Ole Miss could not be replaced. Especially, if you lose revenue due to not them not having a team.

vCash
    A decent point. Perhaps other schools have deflated numbers because they aren't receiving the conference money that Ole Miss gets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post

They would fall further. Take away to $40 mill + they get from the SEC and it puts their budget closer on par with those non P5 achools

vCash
    Exactly

vCash
    https://www.ncaa.org/about/16-princi...iate-athletics

These are the 16 principles of conduct for the NCAA. How many have OM broken severely.

1. Institutional Control and Responsibility
    * Responsibility for Control

2. Student-Athlete Well-Being
    * Overall Educational Experience
    * Cultural Diversity and Gender Equity
    * Health and Safety
    * Student-Athlete/Coach Relationship
    * Fairness, Openness and Honesty
    * Student-Athlete Involvement
    3.*Gender Equity
    * Compliance With Federal and State Legislation
    4.*Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct
    5.*Sound Academic Standards

6.*Nondiscrimination
    7.*Diversity Within Governance Structures
    8. Rules Compliance
    * Responsibility of Institution
    * Responsibility of Association
    * Penalty for Noncompliance
    9.*Amateurism
    10.*Competitive Equity

11.*Recruiting
    12.*Eligibility

13.*Financial Aid
    14.*Playing Rules and Practice Seasons
    15.*Postseason Competition and Contests Sponsored by Noncollegiate Organizations
    16.*Economy of Athletics Program Operation
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Penn State has ten times the prestige of ole miss.
    They have a lot more than just prestige. They are the only Big 10 school in the state of Pennsylvania, which includes the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia TV markets. Each conference member would lose a ton of TV revenue from the B1G network if Penn State was kicked out. Such a condition does not help Ole Miss because they are not the only SEC school in MS, and there are no major TV markets in MS either. I would argue they will get kicked out for that reason alone if a death penalty is dropped on them.

Simply put, there are 12 SEC schools that don't want there to be 2 SEC schools in MS, and would move immediately kick either OM or MSU out at the first available opportunity. That opportunity may be coming up.