Thread: On A State Agency Issued Phone And We Want To Protect His Privacy????

vCash

On A State Agency Issued Phone And We Want To Protect His Privacy????

This I don't understand, and to me holds no validity. A State Agencty issued phone or moreso the calls or service plan is being paid for by Missisippi tax payer dollars, unless there is some other option that I'm not aware of. In my opinion, I don't see how any phone numbers can be redacted. If somebody uses a State issued phone and they decide to use it for personal calls, as well, then those calls should be a a pert of the public call log. And if numbers can be redacted, how is there any assuranced that some numbers that shouldn't have been redacted were redacted. I believe they said Freeze did the redaction, but maybe I'm wrong on that. If i'm missing something here, please enlighten me.

Senior Member ScreenCaptureThis's Avatar
    vCash
    Did the state issue the phone, or does the state pay a portion of the phone bill? There is a big difference between the two.

vCash
    Yeah, I didn't get the redaction thing. What kind of investigation is that?

Hey Hugh, we need to check your phone records. Go through them and redact anything you don't want us to find.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    This I don't understand, and to me holds no validity. A State Agencty issued phone or moreso the calls or service plan is being paid for by Missisippi tax payer dollars, unless there is some other option that I'm not aware of. In my opinion, I don't see how any phone numbers can be redacted. If somebody uses a State issued phone and they decide to use it for personal calls, as well, then those calls should be a a pert of the public call log. And if numbers can be redacted, how is there any assuranced that some numbers that shouldn't have been redacted were redacted. I believe they said Freeze did the redaction, but maybe I'm wrong on that. If i'm missing something here, please enlighten me.
    MS's public records law is not set up to apply or not apply based on ownership or possession of the record, it's set up to cover records used in the business of the university. That doesn't impact the University's right to get the records for a phone it pays for, but it does prevent the university from having to disclose personal calls.

What's interesting is that once the University has reviewed the phone log to look for evidence of NCAA violations or violations of a moral turpitude clause in Freeze's contract, technically at that point they have become a public record, and subject to disclosure, whereas if they just reviewed the records to determine which calls were personal, that would not make them a public record.

ETA: On the flip side, using a private phone for a business call doesn't mean it's exempt from the public records act (although as a practical matter it goes a long way) any more than using private email gets around the public record act.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

What's interesting is that once the University has reviewed the phone log to look for evidence of NCAA violations or violations of a moral turpitude clause in Freeze's contract, technically at that point they have become a public record, and subject to disclosure, whereas if they just reviewed the records to determine which calls were personal, that would not make them a public record.
    This is a very astute point

Hadn't thought of that. I bet ol Ross hasn't either. Time for a fresh request for an unredacted copy from some enterprising reporter out there (or lawyer Mars) after this admission in last night's press conference.

Excellent work, my good man!

vCash

Question

The cell phones are issued by the ath department. They are state owned and each college pays for the entire bill. The burner phones were purchased by certain coaches....

Certain asst. coaches using burner phones to contact recruits during dead periods etc.

The coaches gave certain recruits burner phones.....

Did all of the recruits receive the burner phones or just certain ones....

There should have been a private log for private phone calls and a public log... Where are those phone logs?
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 07-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Hugh didn't get to redact the numbers before the university saw them, it was just redacted for privacy when the other parties requested them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Hugh didn't get to redact the numbers before the university saw them, it was just redacted for privacy when the other parties requested them.
    The important point is that it's the review, judgment, and reasoning of the institution that the public has a right to inspect. Have to have the unaltered records in order to do that.

vCash
    Basically, what I've discovered here is, if a private college like Miami, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc wanted to cheat the media would have a difficult time getting info

vCash
    When I was in State Government, the employee would be given a copy ( may have been the original) of the bill for their State issued phone, and circle any calls on the bill that were non-business related. Then the employee would be responsible for paying for those calls, but they would remain on the bill. There was no such thing as a redaction. Any other calls that looked questionable, would be brought to the attention of the employee, for them to explain.. Later it got to where employees were not allowed to use a State issued cell phone for personal business, so the employee would have to keep up with a State issued phone, and their personal cell phone, or just use their personal one for all calls. Most decided to go the method of just using their own personal cell phone. Even the State Agency Head went that route. It was too much of hassle to have to keep up with two cell phones for most. So unless those poliicies have changed in the last four or so years, I don't reallly understand Ole Miss' situation. Maybe they have a different policy but I don't think so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Basically, what I've discovered here is, if a private college like Miami, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc wanted to cheat the media would have a difficult time getting info
    Sounds reasonable to me.

vCash
    It would be the same as making calls from the phone on your desk at work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    It would be the same as making calls from the phone on your desk at work.

Agree totally.