Thread: New Twist for this Football Season

vCash

New Twist for this Football Season

The new rule that a player can play four games and still redshirt is going to have a big, if unknown, impact on football.

We all talk about playing Keytaon, but there are many others who may end up playing four. For example, JUCO transfers have typically taken most of a season to come around. This year, we could see Tyre Phillips trotting out late in the season, helping the team and keeping his redshirt. There are many other examples. Do we play Kylin in just four games to keep his redshirt and also get him used to major college football, etc.?

Who does this help more, an MSU or an Alabama? It will be interesting to see how coaches handle it.

vCash
    They can play four games and red shirt no matter the reason?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    The new rule that a player can play four games and still redshirt is going to have a big, if unknown, impact on football.

We all talk about playing Keytaon, but there are many others who may end up playing four. For example, JUCO transfers have typically taken most of a season to come around. This year, we could see Tyre Phillips trotting out late in the season, helping the team and keeping his redshirt. There are many other examples. Do we play Kylin in just four games to keep his redshirt and also get him used to major college football, etc.?

Who does this help more, an MSU or an Alabama? It will be interesting to see how coaches handle it.
    Does that rule take effect this season? I thought it was still being deliberated, or at least was taking effect in 2018 to give coaching staffs an adjustment period for recruiting. The early signing rule and new redshirt rule both thrown down during the same season would cause short term roster management chaos across all of college football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post

A few points:

1. This rule could create an incentive to front load the schedule with out of conference games. That way you can figure out which of your 1st year players can help you & which need to red-shirt.

2. Yes. This is huge for JUCO recruiting. It allows them to play & get caught up to speed without wasting year.

3. I think it helps us more than Bama. Since many of Bama's best player only play there for 3 years anyway, it stands to reason that having a more experienced 5th year player would be more beneficial

vCash
    Definitely will help the msu's of CFB more than the bama's of CFB. Experience plays a much bigger role for the msu's of CFB, so any extra experience our guys can get, the better. Also, we don't have the depth of bama, so getting 4 games out of a talented freshman or juco guy without burning his redshirt could be huge. For instance, we all want keyteon to get redshirted, but if fitz goes down for more than a snap or 2, we all know keyteon is our best option for success, even if he's raw. So if fitz misses a game or 2, keyteon can play, give us our best chance to win, and still redshirt.

vCash
    I was also under the impression that rule hasn't been agreed on, or if it has, won't get implemented for a year or 2.

vCash
    Is the rule you can play in up to 4 games ANY point in the season or just the first four games? Seems like it should just be the early season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Is the rule you can play in up to 4 games ANY point in the season or just the first four games? Seems like it should just be the early season.
    Any 4 games. Doesn't matter what portion of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Definitely will help the msu's of CFB more than the bama's of CFB. Experience plays a much bigger role for the msu's of CFB, so any extra experience our guys can get, the better. Also, we don't have the depth of bama, so getting 4 games out of a talented freshman or juco guy without burning his redshirt could be huge. For instance, we all want keyteon to get redshirted, but if fitz goes down for more than a snap or 2, we all know keyteon is our best option for success, even if he's raw. So if fitz misses a game or 2, keyteon can play, give us our best chance to win, and still redshirt.
    No doubt

What I might do if I'm Mullen is play Keytaon extensively in our first two games that hopefully we'll win easily.

After the first two games, I'd play whoever is our 3rd stringer in garbage time & thus bank two games for Keytaon to come in & relieve Fitz, if Fitz were to go down.

Under this system, Key would play a ton the first two weeks, & therefore taking a load off Fitz, & then Key would still have enough redshirt eligibility (2 games) in which to be the backup QB should Fitz go down.

vCash
    I wish they would allow JR's to inter draft with an NCAA approved agent who would be temporary unless the JR is drafted high and if not drafted high in the draft it like it never happened.

vCash
    I may be wrong, but I thought the rule was 16 quarters that could be played any time. So if a player is in one quarter each of the first four games he still has 12 to go. Correct me if I'm wrong.

vCash
    Doesn't apply to this season. The rules committee will address it in October. Seems to have broad support, so I expect it will be in place in some form for the 2018 or 2019 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    No doubt

What I might do if I'm Mullen is play Keytaon extensively in our first two games that hopefully we'll win easily.

After the first two games, I'd play whoever is our 3rd stringer in garbage time & thus bank two games for Keytaon to come in & relieve Fitz, if Fitz were to go down.

Under this system, Key would play a ton the first two weeks, & therefore taking a load off Fitz, & then Key would still have enough redshirt eligibility (2 games) in which to be the backup QB should Fitz go down.
    This is good in theory when NWState is in the schedule... but LaTech ain't no joke.