Thread: Bruce Arians interview on Pat McAfee Show

vCash

Bruce Arians interview on Pat McAfee Show

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000390011644

For the MSU connection, he's coached at MSU twice. 78-80 he was RB/WR coach and 93-95 he was OC. Excellent interview on the PMS. He's the ultimate players coach. The new book is the QB Whisperer and he talks some about what it takes to be a great QB and the number 1 trait is grit. That's easily Dak's best trait. Plus some great league stories and anecdotes. Start at 1:07 in. This is a pod so there is language.

vCash
    Only State could call someone who was fired twice by State, one of ours!

vCash
    We couldn't recruit or develop a QB for nuthin in those days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000390011644

For the MSU connection, he's coached at MSU twice. 78-80 he was RB/WR coach and 93-95 he was OC. Excellent interview on the PMS. He's the ultimate players coach. The new book is the QB Whisperer and he talks some about what it takes to be a great QB and the number 1 trait is grit. That's easily Dak's best trait. Plus some great league stories and anecdotes. Start at 1:07 in. This is a pod so there is language.
    What's Bruce know about premenstrual syndrome??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    What's Bruce know about premenstrual syndrome??
    Pat McAfee Show

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDority View Post
    Only State could call someone who was fired twice by State, one of ours!
    Reread my post. Slowly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    We couldn't recruit or develop a QB for nuthin in those days.
    Maybe, but remember the Alabama game in '79 where the QB hurt his ankle in pregame. Arians developed a whole new game plan on the fly and we scored tons of points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Maybe, but remember the Alabama game in '79 where the QB hurt his ankle in pregame. Arians developed a whole new game plan on the fly and we scored tons of points.
    If you are referring to the 79 game in Birmingham ..Arians was only a Graduate Assistant on that team.... that was the infamous game where Bellard had switched practice fields with Starkville Academy so that when the Bear had a photographer fly over and take pictures ...they would see that MSU was in the wishbone. Bellard was installing the shotgun and using the kicker Dave Marlar was the QB over at Starkville Academy The plan was to play close the first half in the wishbone then break out the shotgun in the second half so Bear couldn't adjust...the starting QB got hurt early and MSU had the go to the shotgun before they wanted...that was the breakout game for Mardye McDole who caught 10 balls that game which was unheard of in those days.

vCash
    My memories get fuzzy as time passes, as well....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Too much sauce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg99 View Post
    Too much sauce
    You're a funnigurl....

[In my best Cartman Voice] Now get in that kitchen and make me a pie!

+1

No.

vCash
    He knows quite a bit. Has a Nkemdiche on the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    He was yalls OC for a year. It's a great interview. He's a character

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    He was yalls OC for a year. It's a great interview. He's a character
    Yep... I dig him....

No.

vCash
    Marler was named the All-SEC quarterback after throwing for 2,422 yards, 11 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, while completing 56.8 percent of his passes. He finished the season leading the SEC in 10 offensive categories and was among the top 10 in four NCAA categories. Mississippi State set 47 school records and 15 SEC records on offense in 1978. Marler jumped Ole Miss legend Archie Manning into fourth place on the all-time single-season SEC total offense list. He also broke Steve Spurrier’s consecutive completions record with 17 straight that season.

Yet, none of those statistics was either Arians’ or Marler’s defining moment in 1978.

That came in Week 9 against third-ranked Alabama. During pregame warmups in Birmingham, Marler tore a muscle in his right thigh. He told Arians, who advised Marler to stay on the field and act like nothing was wrong. Marler had his leg wrapped but aggravated the injury when he was sacked on Mississippi State’s first drive. He left the game, went to the locker room, got a shot of pain killers and was back on the field by the end of the first quarter.

Arians put Marler in the shotgun about eight yards deep and devised a game plan based around three running plays and 25 passes.

“He was just calling everything,” Marler said. “Believe it; we were just making up plays as we go.”

Marler threw for 429 yards and Mississippi State lost.

“We certainly gave Bear Bryant a run for his money,” Marler said.

That game helped push Marler further into the national spotlight and gave football a glimpse of a young coach with an ingenious offensive mind.

“What he did with me is turn me into somebody that probably I never would’ve accomplished on my own,” Marler said. “From a play-calling level, an execution level, he totally took me to levels of success that I, as a quarterback, had never visualized. All this happened through the course of the season.”

It led to a five-year career in the CFL for Marler, who retired from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1983. His stint in Canada, where he currently runs a wealth-management business, led to a wife and three children. He’s also the chairman of the board of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Marler was named the All-SEC quarterback after throwing for 2,422 yards, 11 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, while completing 56.8 percent of his passes. He finished the season leading the SEC in 10 offensive categories and was among the top 10 in four NCAA categories. Mississippi State set 47 school records and 15 SEC records on offense in 1978. Marler jumped Ole Miss legend Archie Manning into fourth place on the all-time single-season SEC total offense list. He also broke Steve Spurrier’s consecutive completions record with 17 straight that season.

Yet, none of those statistics was either Arians’ or Marler’s defining moment in 1978.

That came in Week 9 against third-ranked Alabama. During pregame warmups in Birmingham, Marler tore a muscle in his right thigh. He told Arians, who advised Marler to stay on the field and act like nothing was wrong. Marler had his leg wrapped but aggravated the injury when he was sacked on Mississippi State’s first drive. He left the game, went to the locker room, got a shot of pain killers and was back on the field by the end of the first quarter.

Arians put Marler in the shotgun about eight yards deep and devised a game plan based around three running plays and 25 passes.

“He was just calling everything,” Marler said. “Believe it; we were just making up plays as we go.”

Marler threw for 429 yards and Mississippi State lost.

“We certainly gave Bear Bryant a run for his money,” Marler said.

That game helped push Marler further into the national spotlight and gave football a glimpse of a young coach with an ingenious offensive mind.

“What he did with me is turn me into somebody that probably I never would’ve accomplished on my own,” Marler said. “From a play-calling level, an execution level, he totally took me to levels of success that I, as a quarterback, had never visualized. All this happened through the course of the season.”

It led to a five-year career in the CFL for Marler, who retired from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1983. His stint in Canada, where he currently runs a wealth-management business, led to a wife and three children. He’s also the chairman of the board of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum.
    Marler was originally supposed to be a kicker. Great performance. I was fortunate enough to be at that game.

vCash
    Great memories. I was there to see it. Bruce has always been considered a friend. Proud of his accomplishments and his days at MSU.

Banned
    vCash
    Arians tenure is a testament of how backward assed jws was in modern day offense. We pissed away opportunity with that guy. Jws didn't listen to the guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Arians tenure is a testament of how backward assed jws was in modern day offense. We pissed away opportunity with that guy. Jws didn't listen to the guy.
    Neither did Mike Dubose at Bama. Then the Steelers let him go to. The guy is the ultimate players coach that needed the right support and situation to be successful and it appears that Arizona was that job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    If you are referring to the 79 game in Birmingham ..Arians was only a Graduate Assistant on that team.... that was the infamous game where Bellard had switched practice fields with Starkville Academy so that when the Bear had a photographer fly over and take pictures ...they would see that MSU was in the wishbone. Bellard was installing the shotgun and using the kicker Dave Marlar was the QB over at Starkville Academy The plan was to play close the first half in the wishbone then break out the shotgun in the second half so Bear couldn't adjust...the starting QB got hurt early and MSU had the go to the shotgun before they wanted...that was the breakout game for Mardye McDole who caught 10 balls that game which was unheard of in those days.
    Bob Tyler was the Coach in 78--Jimmy Sharp was the OC and Marler was the QB and Kicker.