Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way to Go Howland

vCash
    Does Perry and Woodard both project to play SF?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    Hopefully not to derail this thread:

How do we take 3 SF's this class? Reggie Perry (5* is a bulldog), Woodard (high 4*, likely bulldog), and DJ Stewart (low 4*, likely bulldog). Can we pull them all? Or does Stewart get cut?

Perhaps the hope is that if Perry is a one-and-done, we'd have plenty of room anyway. How many schollys do we even have available?
    Perhaps Howland ain't done learning new tricks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Perhaps Howland ain't done learning new tricks
    Let's hope not. If there's any consolation here, the NBA is heavily moving toward these heavy guard sets. He could run these sets with a lot of small forwards.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    Hopefully not to derail this thread:

How do we take 3 SF's this class? Reggie Perry (5* is a bulldog), Woodard (high 4*, likely bulldog), and DJ Stewart (low 4*, likely bulldog). Can we pull them all? Or does Stewart get cut?

Perhaps the hope is that if Perry is a one-and-done, we'd have plenty of room anyway. How many schollys do we even have available?
    Perry is a stretch 4
    Woodard is a 3
    Stewart is a 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyDawg View Post
    Does Perry and Woodard both project to play SF?
    Perry is going to play the stretch four and some SF. Woodard can exclusively play the SF role. Stewart can play the SF/2G role. Heck, with Perry's length, he could play the 3, 4, or 5 roles. Woodard and Perry compliment each other's game well. Heck I think the best part about this is Perry wants to play the stretch four and some small forward whatever to help the team. A breath of fresh air IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Perry is a stretch 4
    Woodard is a 3
    Stewart is a 2
    Exactly IYOK. Great call on Perry too IYOK! Huge get and should get us excited again about men's basketball! Looks like things are coming together for Howland to make a good run!

vCash
    So here's how the next few teams are starting to shape up (obviously barring transfers, which are certain to come but hopefully won't alter things too much):

2017-2018:
    Peters (So) / N Weatherspoon (Fr)
    Q Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (So)
    Stapleton (Jr) / Carter (So)
    Holman (So) / Datcher (So)
    Herard (So) / Ado (Fr)

2018-2019:
    Peters (Jr) / Wright (Jr)
    N Weatherspoon (So) / Carter (Jr)
    Stapleton (Sr) / Woodard (Fr)
    Holman (Jr) / Perry (Fr)
    Herard (Jr) / Ado (So)

2019-2020:
    N Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (Sr)
    Carter (Sr) / Stewart (So)
    Woodard (So)
    Perry (So) / Feazell (Jr)
    Ado (Jr) / Datcher (Sr)

*I know Wright doesn't play the point, I'm not necessarily saying these are hard-and-fast positions, just what I'm projecting as a starting lineup and first guys off the bench. And we may have guys leave even earlier for the NBA, like Peters or N Weatherspoon, and we could have someone like Holman or Herard stick around all 4 years, just using this as sort of a realistic-ish template. And those 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 teams are pretty dang salty.

Banned
    vCash
    Q Spoon is staying all 4 years imo

vCash
    Perry will start. Top 15 players don't ride the bench much.

vCash
    Excellent job, Coach Howland! Position of need also. My hat's off to ya!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Perry will start. Top 15 players don't ride the bench much.
    Yeah, he probably will. I don't know if he will right out of the gate, and there's a chance Holman really progresses between this coming year and the following. But regardless, Perry will be playing a ton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So here's how the next few teams are starting to shape up (obviously barring transfers, which are certain to come but hopefully won't alter things too much):

2017-2018:
    Peters (So) / N Weatherspoon (Fr)
    Q Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (So)
    Stapleton (Jr) / Carter (So)
    Holman (So) / Datcher (So)
    Herard (So) / Ado (Fr)

2018-2019:
    Peters (Jr) / Wright (Jr)
    N Weatherspoon (So) / Carter (Jr)
    Stapleton (Sr) / Woodard (Fr)
    Holman (Jr) / Perry (Fr)
    Herard (Jr) / Ado (So)

2019-2020:
    N Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (Sr)
    Carter (Sr) / Stewart (So)
    Woodard (So)
    Perry (So) / Feazell (Jr)
    Ado (Jr) / Datcher (Sr)

*I know Wright doesn't play the point, I'm not necessarily saying these are hard-and-fast positions, just what I'm projecting as a starting lineup and first guys off the bench. And we may have guys leave even earlier for the NBA, like Peters or N Weatherspoon, and we could have someone like Holman or Herard stick around all 4 years, just using this as sort of a realistic-ish template. And those 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 teams are pretty dang salty.

So are Woodard and Stewart all but committed at this point? Obviously, transfers in/out and players jumping to the NBA early will certainly change things but who is realistic going forward?

2018 - Anybody else besides Perry, Woodard, and Stewart?
    2019 - Austin Crowley?, DJ Jeffries?, I really have no clue who we are after or who we legitimately have a shot with. Kinda hard to predict basketball recruiting with the amount of turnover college basketball teams typically have.

vCash
    Great job. Now coach em' up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastdog28 View Post
    So are Woodard and Stewart all but committed at this point? Obviously, transfers in/out and players jumping to the NBA early will certainly change things but who is realistic going forward?

2019 - Austin Crowley?, DJ Jeffries?, I really have no clue who we are after or who we legitimately have a shot with. Kinda hard to predict basketball recruiting with the amount of turnover college basketball teams typically have.
    Yeah, there are better people than me to ask about recruiting. I just like looking ahead at possibilities. And from what I understand, we do expect to get Woodard and Stewart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yeah, there are better people than me to ask about recruiting. I just like looking ahead at possibilities. And from what I understand, we do expect to get Woodard and Stewart.
    Yeah, good breakdown though. Hopefully some that are in the know on bball recruiting will chime in and give us a breakdown on the future.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastdog28 View Post

The goal in 2018 is Perry Woodard & Stewart. I feel really good about Woodard & pretty good about Stewart. It's hard for me to not think we won't get an instate kid if we really want him.
    2019 is Austin Crowley (I think we get him) DJ Jefferies (I don't expect him right now) Jaykwon Walton (Carver in Montgomery has been very good to us) There will be more guys pop up of course

vCash
    Hail State and welcome to the fam!

vCash
    2018-2019 looks like THE year. Check out this potential lineup:

PG: Peters/N. Weatherspoon
    SG: Q. Weatherspoon/Carter/Wright/Stewart
    SF: Stapleton/Woodard
    PF: Perry/Holman/Feazell
    C: Ado/Herard

I know it's not likely all of those guys stick around, but I didn't even include Datcher, and the 2/3 spot would be an absolute log-jam.

vCash
    The goal in 2018 is Perry Woodard & Stewart. I feel really good about Woodard & pretty good about Stewart. It's hard for me to not think we won't get an instate kid if we really want him.
    2019 is Austin Crowley (I think we get him) DJ Jefferies (I don't expect him right now) Jaykwon Walton (Carver in Montgomery has been very good to us) There will be more guys pop up of course
    Thanks for the update. I'd imagine there will be some attrition that could certainly open up more spots in 2019 and beyond.

vCash
    Why are we not recruiting more post players, in particular at the 5 spot? Is Ado that good? Don't get me wrong, Herard has shown promise, but we seem to be recruiting elite guys that all play the 2-4.