Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Poster's SEC Predictions- 2017

vCash

Random Poster's SEC Predictions- 2017

Its that time of year again where hope springs eternal and State fans talk about who is going to step up and surprise this season. The SEC is loaded with QB's and RB's but plenty of teams looking for WR's to step up. Lets see what the crystal ball has laid out this season.

SEC East

SEC East is a 2 horse race but the division is improving finally.

1. Georgia- really good D and an O that will improve as the season moves along
    2. Florida- early season schedule is a killer for a team that is searching for a QB. They finally have depth there though.
    3. Kentucky- take them here because of Tenn's SEC schedule being too much. Another improved season for the Cats
    4. Tennessee- May be the end for Butch. Playing Bama and LSU from the West plus @Fla does him no favors
    5. Vandy- solid D and maybe a little more O this year
    6. SC- Boom still improving that roster but needs more playmakers
    7. Mizzou- somebody has to finish last in an improved Eastern division

Now for the important division- THE SEC West

Probably the hardest year to judge the SEC West that I can remember from top to bottom. The top 2 are obvious but the rest could go all kinds of ways. Let's take a stab at it.

1. Alabama- (8-0)weapons on offense and a talented OL. Pretty easy schedule with LSU at home plus Tenn and Vandy from the East. Iron Bowl will be for the SEC Title and I'm simply going with the team with the most talent from top to bottom.

2. Auburn- (7-1)Very good at RB, OL, LB, and in the Secondary. QB should be a strength this year- especially with that running game to lean on. WR's are a year older now and will be better. Talent is there on the DL- but those guys have to be ready to step up immediately. Wont be surprised one bit if they beat Bama at home to win the West. Has to go on the road to beat LSU- but gets Georgia, State, OM, and Bama at home.

It's a crapshoot from here.

LSU has the most talent of the rest- but a ridiculous schedule, including 5 SEC road games and only 3 home games.
    State will be improved but how much?
    OM will be very good on offense but not very good on D. LB play will be atrocious and their DC will get exposed
    UPig lost playmakers but should be improved on D. Very young at TB
    A&M has some talent but will have a young QB and remains soft on D

So whats the verdict?

3. LSU- Got to go with LSU because of talent and Coaching- but too much schedule in 2017 to contend. @Bama, @Fla, @OM, @Tenn, @State. 9 wins for Orgeron this year would be a good season. QB is nothing special but solid. Back-ups are green true freshmen if he goes down. TB is really good with a good OL- they will lean on that and hope Etling can make enough throws to be a consistent offense. WR's are inexperienced but talented. Veteran D with some young talent sprinkled in as usual. Their Coordinators are very good. Aranda will have this bunch playing well.

4. State- Good QB and solid RB's. Tough early schedule will cause problems- but by October could be a pretty good football team. OL has to gel with a new Center that didnt get any live Spring reps at the position. Questionable playmakers at WR. Should be improved on D but ILB depth and CB are still concerns. Worst case scenario is this team goes 2-6 in the SEC and finishes 6-6- which still pays me that $500 I put on the over 5.5 Vegas set. 2 of the Toss-up games are on the road- UPig and A&M with a 3rd one- Kentucky- at home. Got to win at least 1 of those if not 2. This team should be 2-3 heading into an October off week and how it responds will decide the season. The next 4 are BYU, Kentucky, @A&M, and UMass. Win those 4 to get to 6-3 facing the stretch and 8 wins is possible. Can it take 9 seasons for Mullen to finally exceed my expectations? Team is a year away from being good- but having a playmaker at QB in a down SEC West could get this team to 8 wins in 2017. Prediction- 7-5 in 2017

5. OM- Good on offense- Bad on defense. Schedule is their friend in 2017 though. Vandy at home. A&M at home, LSU at home. UPig at home. Only team in the West playing 12 Bowl games. How this team handles the Bama and Auburn beatings on the road will decide their season. Vandy, LSU, UPig, and @Kentucky follows those 2 losses. It's a chance for the Rebs to right the ship with 3 straight home games. I just hope Freeze is still their coach for the Egg Bowl.

6. Texas A&M- 2017 is the Sumlin Death March. Lots of wasted OL talent the last few years because of a soft D and QB issues. Now they have less OL talent with QB issues and a soft D.

7. UPig- Bert just unable to recruit a balanced roster in the same season. When good on D? Offense struggles. When good on O? Defense struggles. Should be an improved D in 2017- but nobody lost more playmakers than UPig from 2016. Good QB but doesnt have the rest around him to get that 3rd spot in the West. Winner of the A&M game in Dallas stays out of the cellar. I go with A&M based on schedule
    Last edited by Random Poster; 07-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    Can't argue with too much in that post. I would have added - "this is what OM should be able to do, but with everything going on off field, they could easily go 2-10. They don't have the mental toughness. Add to it a thin skinned coach tossing players under the bus after a bad loss, and this team could give up."

vCash
    I'll be surprised if auburn only loses 1 and bama loses zero. But can't argue with where you've got em ranked. Would really enjoy the year if we're #4 outta the west

vCash
    Wouldn't change anything. I hate it, but Auburn gonna be good.

vCash
    Hard to argue with that. Just for the sake of it tho, I'd bump SC up in the east. I think they'll be much improved. And I'd swap state w LSU in west

vCash
    I think OM hired Longo to take over when Freeze ascends to unemployment.

vCash
    I agree with everything except UGA... they'll find away to lose an unexpected game, give UF the East and then UF will get drilled in Championship game again.

vCash
    With a kicker and a little stouter D we'd won 7 or 8 last year.
    "They live in bizarro world...up is down...yes is no...hot is cold. Now they've determined that the NCAA sends a Letter of Inquiry AFTER an investigation is basically over. Uh...NO. Not how it works." Zv2, Bafoom Motard , 10/12/15

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    We still don't have a kicker and this year's SEC has a higher floor with better QB play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    The jury is still out on both for this year too.

We have a HS All American punter as our starting FG kicker. How can that go wrong?****

The secondary scares me the most. And T Cleveland already being penciled in as a starting cb does little to ease those fears as he struggled at corner pre ACL. Last year our safeties struggled in space, maybe the Juco's are ready. They best be

vCash
    I'd feel much about beating Auburn if Gus hadn't shown last year that his offense can work without a dual threat QB.

vCash
    A&M is my last place team in West. Start at UCLA, and no proven QB.

ETA: if A&M gets beaten badly by UCLA the first game, the fans are going to bail on him. They are already on edge.
    Last edited by IMissJack; 07-16-2017 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    8 wins minimum. I didn't know where that will land us

vCash
    I'm getting cautiously optimistic about us the closer we get to the season, & that could rise if we get Hodges, the transfer from Texas.

If we get Hodges, then we are talking about an OL that can hang with top teams. Throw in Fitz's breakaway speed & Aeris' ability to fall forward & run between the tackles, & I think you have an offense that can run the ball on everyone but Bama.

I think there are the ingredients to be a better running team than the 2014 team.

IMO Fitz is a better runner than Dak, Robinson & Aeris are similar with Aeris being smarter & less selfish, &, while the OL in 2014 had experience, I think this one is more talented.

That leaves us needing to find someone to take Bear's spot & Malcolm Johnson's.

IDK, I'm getting optimistic. Some of that is based on getting Hodges & him being better than what we currently have.

The 2014 defense had pro-bowlers on it, & our defense last season was in the 100s. So, having the 2014 defense is a pipe dream. Anything in the top 50 or so, should give us a quality team.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 07-16-2017 at 06:18 PM.

vCash
    Getting Hodges definitely makes us fans more confident. Hopefully the OL chemistry would benefit too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm getting cautiously optimistic about us the closer we get to the season, & that could rise if we get Hodges, the transfer from Texas.

If we get Hodges, then we are talking about an OL that can hang with top teams. Throw in Fitz's breakaway speed & Aeris' ability to fall forward & run between the tackles, & I think you have an offense that can run the ball on everyone but Bama.

I think there are the ingredients to be a better running team than the 2014 team.
    Any idea when Hodges will announce his transfer plans? Is he or has he visited us yet? that would be awesome if he comes our way.

Banned
    vCash
    Florida
    Tennessee
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    Vandy
    USCe
    Mizzou

Bama
    Auburn
    MSU
    LSU
    aTm
    Arkansas
    OM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Any idea when Hodges will announce his transfer plans? Is he or has he visited us yet? that would be awesome if he comes our way.
    He's visiting us this week. Maybe he decides when he visits.

The caution I have in getting excited about him though is that academic issues sometimes come into to play with these types of situations. Perhaps others know more than me, but it's my understanding that our graduate school is somewhat difficult to get into, & thus getting graduate transfers isn't the easiest thing for us to do.

vCash
    Who is auburns QB?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Who is auburns QB?
    Sean White and his 15 yard max throwing distance