Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
My thought is we may not need crazy good pitching to win right now. I'm in agreement that we don't need to sell our future for right now. Need something long term. But we are 13-13 against teams above .500 and are averaging scoring more than 5 runs a game against those teams. A 3 man of Teheran, Folty, and whoever we pick up in a trade like a Gray, Archer, or Cole would be a pretty solid 3 if we continue putting up runs at this pace. We haven't scored fewer than 4 runs since the month of June. This offense is a postseason offense right now and our runs allowed is inflated by awful performances by Colon.

Additionally, butts are in seats now. This team can't wait another 2+ years to make a playoff push. We need to make a push this year while really being serious about 2018 AND 2019. We need a starter and I think between the 3 I mentioned, we could get one and they would be good additions. But I feel like we can make a trade and not go stupid on it. Get the starter and closer we need for the long term, dump Garcia, Phillips, Johnson, and a few farm pieces and I think we would be in a great position to make a push at the end of the year but really set ourselves up for 2018 and 2019.
Archer maybe, and he was awful last year. The other 2 are injury risks if i remember right. compare the available "aces" to true aces like Kershaw, they pale in comparison. they aren't really aces. yet we'd have to pay like they were, and odds are Allard and Soroka will be just as good in 2019.

A 3 man of Teheran, Folty, and whoever is NOT a good playoff rotation. it's pretty awful actually. Teheran has not been the same pitcher he once was for years, though he shows flashes of it now and again. and i wouldn't trust Folty his first time on the big stage.