Thread: Ok Braves fans

vCash

Ok Braves fans

I know it's been discussed a lot, but it's time to revisit. Couple weeks from the deadline and we are 6 back in the Wild Card. Running neck and neck with the Cubs and the Cards who are in the same spot basically. Division isn't happening at this point. But the Rockies are in a tailspin and have lost 15 of their last 20 and the Dbacks have a tough stretch up to the deadline.

Quintana is off the market so that's not gonna happen. Possibility that there are many other suitors for starting pitching we might want so the price will be high. Consensus still to just ride it out and what happens happens? I know Phillips and Garcia are probably gone, but everyone still want to hold still? I will add we haven't scored fewer than 4 runs in a game since the last day of June. We are 6-4 in that time with one of those a 3 run blown save. I still think we've got a log jam in a few places in the minors and can make some moves as long as we can get someone in return that will be in Atlanta long term.

vCash
    If a move is made it needs to be with 2018 and 2019 in mind. This team is not winning the World Series so it isn't worth it to sell off future pieces to hopefully just make the playoffs.

vCash
    I know what the Cardinals are going to do. Sit on their ass and do nothing. The sad thing is we're stuck with these people until 2020 who have done the following:

2013- Lost the WS
    2014- Lost in the NLCS
    2015- Lost in first round of playoffs
    2016- missed playoffs

So, I don't think the Braves have to really worry about the Cardinals too much.

Although I suppose that there is a small possibility that they could be a trade partner if the Braves are interested in Lynn for a prospect or two. I'm totally fine with holding on to Lynn and letting him walk too and then just parlaying that into a draft pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    If a move is made it needs to be with 2018 and 2019 in mind. This team is not winning the World Series so it isn't worth it to sell off future pieces to hopefully just make the playoffs.
    Correctemundo. Hopefully Terry and co have this mindset. But they do need pitching and some tough choices are going to have to be made. We don't need them to make a big splash trade fot we do have 3-4 good prospect in the pipeline but according to some in the ATL press they are trying it. And thank you baby Jesus for having the Ump call that strike 3 on DS a Ball otherwise tonite might have had another outcome.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't see how y'all still get so worked up about this stuff anymore. All I care about these days is former Bullies.

Grew up with the Jackson Mets. Saw the coach win back to back TX league championships and just about the entire team moved to Flushing including Davey Johnson the coach.

was in Shea for game 7 in Queens.

I couldn't even tell you coaches the Mets these days. don't even give a shit anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Correctemundo. Hopefully Terry and co have this mindset. But they do need pitching and some tough choices are going to have to be made. We don't need them to make a big splash trade fot we do have 3-4 good prospect in the pipeline but according to some in the ATL press they are trying it. And thank you baby Jesus for having the Ump call that strike 3 on DS a Ball otherwise tonite might have had another outcome.
    It cracks me up that you think Terry McGuirk has anything to do with these decisions.

vCash
    I don't want to buy if buying costs us Albies, maitan, acuna, soroka, or allard.

vCash
    Closer is the only spot that really needs an upgrade just for a solid playoff push. If Johnson had converted just half of his blown saves this team is only 3- 4 games out of the division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't want to buy if buying costs us Albies, maitan, acuna, soroka, or allard.
    Or AJ. He's gonna be good for us. But I think we are so stocked on SP that we can go get an OF or another SP. we've got enough pieces to make a solid trade for the long term because we can include current pieces on the big club. Phillips, Garcia, Kemp, Adams, and maybe even Teheran are available pieces that we could replace.

vCash
    Braves sweep the Dbacks. 5-2 in their last 7 games against the Nats and Dbacks. Rockies and Nats won today though, so no ground gained. Record is now back to .500. Next 10 games are Cubs for 3, @Dodgers for 4, and @Dbacks for 3. Have to figure the we will know what this looks like by the end of the Cubs series.

Also heard something that may not have been mentioned, but we offered a package of players for Quintana and that package included Albeis. So if we find the right SP, I think we might be willing to move Albies. Seeing how we have a core of Rodriquez, Camargo, and Swanson who all seem ready, I can see Albeis being a possible trade piece for the right pitcher. Most everyone seems to think Archer, Gray, and Cole from the Pirates will be the 3 big SP in play. Would love to end up with one of those at the deadline for the right pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I know it's been discussed a lot, but it's time to revisit. Couple weeks from the deadline and we are 6 back in the Wild Card. Running neck and neck with the Cubs and the Cards who are in the same spot basically. Division isn't happening at this point. But the Rockies are in a tailspin and have lost 15 of their last 20 and the Dbacks have a tough stretch up to the deadline.

Quintana is off the market so that's not gonna happen. Possibility that there are many other suitors for starting pitching we might want so the price will be high. Consensus still to just ride it out and what happens happens? I know Phillips and Garcia are probably gone, but everyone still want to hold still? I will add we haven't scored fewer than 4 runs in a game since the last day of June. We are 6-4 in that time with one of those a 3 run blown save. I still think we've got a log jam in a few places in the minors and can make some moves as long as we can get someone in return that will be in Atlanta long term.
    this team does not have the pitching to win in the playoffs. Teheran has not been a #1, maybe not even a #2, in 3 years. for 2018 you can pencil in Albies at 2B, and Acuna in RF. assuming one of Kemp/Markakis in LF, and SRod/Carmago at 3B, then this team only needs an ace. would love an upgrade at C, but i don't see any being available. i can see trading for an ace, but only if they'll take A-ball prospects, maybe one of Allard/Soroka/Wright. doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

with that in mind, play for 2019. Teheran/Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Soroka is a hell of a rotation. with Gohera/Wright/Weigal as legit options too. just need a 3B and LF. and both of those may come from the farm. could use an ace, but don't have to have one. F trading for the sake of trading. what we won't isn't available, so best option is to wait. an ace may become available in the offseason anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    this team does not have the pitching to win in the playoffs. Teheran has not been a #1, maybe not even a #2, in 3 years. for 2018 you can pencil in Albies at 2B, and Acuna in RF. assuming one of Kemp/Markakis in LF, and SRod/Carmago at 3B, then this team only needs an ace. would love an upgrade at C, but i don't see any being available. i can see trading for an ace, but only if they'll take A-ball prospects, maybe one of Allard/Soroka/Wright. doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

with that in mind, play for 2019. Teheran/Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Soroka is a hell of a rotation. with Gohera/Wright/Weigal as legit options too. just need a 3B and LF. and both of those may come from the farm. could use an ace, but don't have to have one. F trading for the sake of trading. what we won't isn't available, so best option is to wait. an ace may become available in the offseason anyway.
    My thought is we may not need crazy good pitching to win right now. I'm in agreement that we don't need to sell our future for right now. Need something long term. But we are 13-13 against teams above .500 and are averaging scoring more than 5 runs a game against those teams. A 3 man of Teheran, Folty, and whoever we pick up in a trade like a Gray, Archer, or Cole would be a pretty solid 3 if we continue putting up runs at this pace. We haven't scored fewer than 4 runs since the month of June. This offense is a postseason offense right now and our runs allowed is inflated by awful performances by Colon.

Additionally, butts are in seats now. This team can't wait another 2+ years to make a playoff push. We need to make a push this year while really being serious about 2018 AND 2019. We need a starter and I think between the 3 I mentioned, we could get one and they would be good additions. But I feel like we can make a trade and not go stupid on it. Get the starter and closer we need for the long term, dump Garcia, Phillips, Johnson, and a few farm pieces and I think we would be in a great position to make a push at the end of the year but really set ourselves up for 2018 and 2019.

vCash
    Well the roster changes going to be interesting tomorrow. Bring 2 up Santana and Rodriguez and maybe Viscanio. Who goes down?

vCash
    Well the roster changes going to be interesting tomorrow. Bring 2 up Santana and Rodriguez and maybe Viscanio. Who goes down?
    Best guess... Jace, lane Adams, and hursh.

I'd give Santana a start in rf tomorrow. He's been red hot at Gwinnett (.600). Not sure SRod is ready; he hit .056 (or something really close to that) at Gwinnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post

I see a lot of fans say "Oh, look at the Dodgers/Astros or whoever is loaded that year we're not going to win the World Series". But the reality is if you can get into the playoffs you have a chance. A lot of times it's not the best team that wins the championship in baseball- often times it's the hottest team.

So, I think if a team has a chance to make a move to get into the playoffs they should do it. And when I say make a move of course I mean a reasonable move.

vCash
    Well Peterson has to go down. And I would assume Adams goes too. The reliever I don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I see a lot of fans say "Oh, look at the Dodgers/Astros or whoever is loaded that year we're not going to win the World Series". But the reality is if you can get into the playoffs you have a chance. A lot of times it's not the best team that wins the championship in baseball- often times it's the hottest team.

So, I think if a team has a chance to make a move to get into the playoffs they should do it. And when I say make a move of course I mean a reasonable move.
    I'll say this. I don't think this team can beat the Astros. I'm not sure any team can beat the Astros. But the national league does not scare me. We have a winning record against the Nats and just swept the Dbacks. We make a good trade at the deadline for a top pitcher and I'm not convinced this team can't make it to the World Series. Minus Colon, this team is a + in the run differential category and are probably only a game or two out of the Wild Card. Take out just one or two of Jim Johnson's league worst number of blown saves and we are right there possibly leading the Wild Card. Another starter and someone with better stuff than Johnson (Don't even have to get a closer because I think we've got 2 or 3 on the roster right now) and this team is in business.

Again, not for trading the whole farm, but I think this team has to at least make a push at the deadline. Standing still with the back log of quality farm guys available would not make sense to me.

vCash
    I'll say this. I don't think this team can beat the Astros. I'm not sure any team can beat the Astros. But the national league does not scare me. We have a winning record against the Nats and just swept the Dbacks. We make a good trade at the deadline for a top pitcher and I'm not convinced this team can't make it to the World Series. Minus Colon, this team is a + in the run differential category and are probably only a game or two out of the Wild Card. Take out just one or two of Jim Johnson's league worst number of blown saves and we are right there possibly leading the Wild Card. Another starter and someone with better stuff than Johnson (Don't even have to get a closer because I think we've got 2 or 3 on the roster right now) and this team is in business.

Again, not for trading the whole farm, but I think this team has to at least make a push at the deadline. Standing still with the back log of quality farm guys available would not make sense to me.
    The Dodgers absolutely could beat the Astros in a best out of seven series. As for any team if say the Braves played the Astros in the World Series- they don't have to be better than the Astros. They just have to be better over seven games. If you want to be more realistic- replace Braves with Brewers.

vCash
    My thought is we may not need crazy good pitching to win right now. I'm in agreement that we don't need to sell our future for right now. Need something long term. But we are 13-13 against teams above .500 and are averaging scoring more than 5 runs a game against those teams. A 3 man of Teheran, Folty, and whoever we pick up in a trade like a Gray, Archer, or Cole would be a pretty solid 3 if we continue putting up runs at this pace. We haven't scored fewer than 4 runs since the month of June. This offense is a postseason offense right now and our runs allowed is inflated by awful performances by Colon.

Additionally, butts are in seats now. This team can't wait another 2+ years to make a playoff push. We need to make a push this year while really being serious about 2018 AND 2019. We need a starter and I think between the 3 I mentioned, we could get one and they would be good additions. But I feel like we can make a trade and not go stupid on it. Get the starter and closer we need for the long term, dump Garcia, Phillips, Johnson, and a few farm pieces and I think we would be in a great position to make a push at the end of the year but really set ourselves up for 2018 and 2019.
    Archer maybe, and he was awful last year. The other 2 are injury risks if i remember right. compare the available "aces" to true aces like Kershaw, they pale in comparison. they aren't really aces. yet we'd have to pay like they were, and odds are Allard and Soroka will be just as good in 2019.

A 3 man of Teheran, Folty, and whoever is NOT a good playoff rotation. it's pretty awful actually. Teheran has not been the same pitcher he once was for years, though he shows flashes of it now and again. and i wouldn't trust Folty his first time on the big stage.