Thread: Now that the dust has settled

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash

Now that the dust has settled

Somewhat at least.....here is my greatest fear and what I absolutely don't want to happen. And I've seen numerous people on here wishing it would. I do no want Hugh Freeze to get FIRED. I even heard Finebaum mention, that, yes, the administration is behind him today, but let the NCAA put a proposal on the table that we will lighten up on your penalties if you get rid of Freeze, and watch how fast they throw him out. Let's look at this entire situation closely.

Yes, it's been fun and games to this point watching our most hated rival being drug through the mud by outside sources. It's one thing for us to make disparaging remarks about them, but it's even better when someone else does it and makes fun of them along the way. It's been fun watching them make stupid decision after stupid decision and bumbling their way through this. It's been fun watching Chuck and Yancy reveal their true character and show themselves for who they are, and watch their sheep try and defend them, just because they wear the same colors. All of that has been great, but it's not the end result that we should want.

If the NCAA came in today and said, we'll accept your self imposed penalties; or even if they said, we're adding 5 more schollies to your self imposed if you get rid of Freeze; folks, that would be the most disappointing thing in the world to me. Just think if OM had done the right thing and gotten rid of him after the first NOA. None of the negatives that have happened after that time would have taken place. Tunsil would not have been asked if he took money while at OM; I don't know if we would have seen the gas mask or not. I don't know what that guy's motivation would have been at that time if there was no Freeze left to swindle money out of. (You just know that guy got paid to stop talking and go away. They didn't want any more of him). No reopening of the case and further investigation, no second NOA, no Nutt lawsuit, possibly no Rosie book. No lack of institutional charge, no failure to monitor charge. None of that would be on the table if they had put the university first instead of Freeze.

Folks, if Hugh Freeze is sacrificed for lesser penalties, they win. Read that again. If Hugh Freeze is sacrificed for lesser penalties, THEY WIN. I hope that is not what you want. Freeze is already damaged goods. The perception of him is at an all time low and will never get better. It will follow him all the days of his life from this point forward. He is the face of the University of Mississippi. He is the one they sent to the podium to represent them yesterday. You saw the results. That will never change as long as he is The face of their program.

As a matter of fact, I hope some of the fun we've had slows down some. Think about it. The NCAA has their case. They have all of the information they need to bury them for a long time. The time is coming that they get together and make their ruling....guilty as charged. There's no other outcome possible. The only question left to be answered is, what is the punishment going to be? Today, with Hugh Freeze as head coach, the penalty is going to be as painful as they can possibly muster. But what if OM sacrifices Hugh Freeze? What would the penalties be then?

I don't know about you. But I don't want to give up Freeze in exchange for what is going to do greater damage to their program in the long run. I am glad that they have stood by him all this time, and I certainly hope they continue to do so.

Hail State

vCash
    I think that ship has already sailed.

vCash
    Freeze is gone. He's a fired coach walking and he knows it. But, I do think the penalty should be keeping Freeze with 50% cut in schollies for 5 years and 3 year bowl ban.

vCash
    Lumpy, your fear is irrational.

The NCAA knows that the booster network is a bigger problem than Freeze, as evidenced by violations extending over multiple staffs. The lessening of pentalites if Freeze removed narrative is nothing but a myth. The NCAA is well aware that whoever OM's coach is really doesn't matter.

vCash
    The lack of acknowledgement of how bad this is by OM has pissed the NCAA off. And the NCAA is a political organization that occasionally needs to remind everyone of their relevance. This is their chance. So a pissed off ncaa searching for relevance is about to levy punishment on an openly defiant SEC school.

What do you think is about to happen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    The lack of acknowledgement of how bad this is by OM has pissed the NCAA off. And the NCAA is a political organization that occasionally needs to remind everyone of their relevance. This is their chance. So a pissed off ncaa searching for relevance is about to levy punishment on an openly defiant SEC school.

This is about to get NASTY....
    10+ show cause for Freeze
    More years for Saunders
    8+ years for Barney Farrar show cause
    the other coaches 8 years or less show cause each

LOIC -- is the noose around OM's neck
    40-50 Scholly's gone
    3 year ban on bowls...
    Freeze fired AFTER show cause where they can refuse to pay his buyout.
    Bjork -- he deserves what ever he received

NCAA might want to look into the illegal stuff that is still going on....

vCash
    Frankly, Ole Miss is going to tank no matter what happens to them.

Outcome (a): Freeze stays. Recruiting tanks because of either (1) the cloud over the program for now or (2) sanctions crushing them. Would probably take 6 years at minimum to get back to their 2014 level.

(b): Freeze is sacrificed. Team likely has to rebuild unless they find a stud head coach somewhere. Unless someone is well aware of a candidate for that, especially a candidate willing to take the blunt end of the NCAA axe, they take 6 years minimum to get back to where they were. Also, many boosters are disassociated, and DA NETWERK is in shambles.

My personal take is that the dismantling of their cheating resources helps us a lot. They've cheated for a while now, got caught, about to be punished, and the infrastructure that made that possible will be crushed. Why wouldn't you want to go ahead and take that? The new coach comes in, cleans house, and gets fired after 3 losing seasons. Then they might be able to hire a decent coach, but once he gets them back out of the cellar, he will not have the same types of cheating resources that Freeze created/took advantage of. That's a win for the good guys every time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    I think that ship has already sailed.

I agree, I think OM has burned all bridges with the NCAA and they probably had there opportunites to help their cause somewhat by removing Freeze a good while ago but they didn't.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    More years for Saunders

40-50 Scholly's gone
    3 year ban on bowls...

Mimi...I'll certainly take this all day long. Everyone else, you make excellent points. I think maybe I came down with a touch of the Finebaum Fever. I must have watched too much coverage of the media days this week and gotten a little disoriented. Thanks for providing me with the necessary medication. I feel much better now.

vCash

I think I'm about to get more popcorn.

vCash

The NCAA is made up of member institutions. Presidents, AD's, Coaches, Compliance people make up the body of the NCAA. The way OleMess has handled this whole situation is a slap in the face of the programs that comprise the NCAA and the member institutions that strive to operate within the system enacted by the members. The defiance and sheer lack of integrity they've exhibited for years and the total failure to regulate and monitor themselves and the staffers they employ is asinine to say the least.

vCash
    Yes, Ole Miss should have cleaned house when they canned Barney but, they decided to embrace yet another Lost Cause instead. By choosing this course of action, Ole Miss "crossed the Rubicon" and there is no turning back. Sit back and enjoy the carnage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    Yes, Ole Miss should have cleaned house when they canned Barney but, they decided to embrace yet another Lost Cause instead. By choosing this course of action, Ole Miss "crossed the Rubicon" and there is no turning back. Sit back and enjoy the carnage.
    They'd have been wise to can Barney immediately after the Draft night fiasco. Then can Freeze while the 2nd investigation was underway when even more improprieties were uncovered while under investigation. That at least would have shown the NCAA that they were serious about cleaning up the mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    More years for Saunders

40-50 Scholly's gone
    3 year ban on bowls...

I think you're going to be disappointed. I think Freeze's show cause will officially be pretty short. I suspect unofficially it will be a more extreme version of Jackie, where you can hire him, but just know that the NCAA will set up a satellite office in your town the next week.

I think 40 is the high end of the scholarship loss.

Pure speculation but I think they'll feel like they sent a strong enough message with any scholarship reduction over 30.

vCash
    Who would want to coach there now? How many coaches has SMU been through since that fiasco? The Rebels will not have the same resources that Penn State, USC or any other Power 5 school had to come back after penalties. And they need to face the fact that Oxfart is only a good place to be if you drink the Kool-Aid. Best place is a freaking meadow? I think State was lucky to get Dan to run the show -- he sure seems to enjoy being here. The Confederates will only be able to get another Network crony after the hammer smashes Vaught-Hemingway...

vCash
    Two things:
    1) Penalty matrix is supposed to replace subjective punishment and deal making by the NCAA. So the penalty will be what the penalty will be. The only question is how does the NCAA follow the penalty matrix when OM has done so much that strains the ability for a viable program at all. Literally DP is better than what is due based on the matrix. And don't forget the NCAA must save face and not show themselves to be irrelevant ... again.

2) After HF OM will be able to attract a Croom-level coach. They might even just promote Wesley McGriff to HC. How about that?
    Death penalty or bust!!!***