Thread: Dontavian Lee

vCash

Dontavian Lee

I was listening to the Mullen press conference posted on BSR and I hear a little nugget that was probably missed. When asked about RB depth the very first thing Mullen said was that last year Dontavian Lee was AHEAD of Aeris Williams but he was banged up and now he is healthy.

I, along with many of you, were wooly about DL after his spring game performance two years ago and then... nothing. DL was special teams and a random carry here or there. If DL is actually back to 100% and is even close to what Aeris was doing last year watch out for our running game.

Last year our RBs were a major deficiency with Shumpert and Holloway. Maybe the reason why Mullen isn't freaking out like all of you about WR is because this year we are going back to RTGDFB. From my mouth to God and Mullen's ears.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    DLee had a good Spring and why I think we will see very little if anything from Kylin Hill.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    ATrain will b a beast. DLee will be a quality backup. I agree with Rando, I don't expect to see a ton from Kylin... however I believe before he graduates he will be one of the best we've ever had.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Nick Gibson also looked good when he has been in. I don't think there are enough touches to waste a redshirt for Kylin unless he can catch the ball and move into the slot or outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Nick Gibson also looked good when he has been in. I don't think there are enough touches to waste a redshirt for Kylin unless he can catch the ball and move into the slot or outside.
    Our backfield is as deep as it has ever been and I only expect it to get better. And I agree with the OP, Kylin might just go down in MSU lore.

vCash
    If given the opportunity I believe that Nick Gibson would give Aries a run for his money to be the starting running back. The kid is a natural.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I was listening to the Mullen press conference posted on BSR and I hear a little nugget that was probably missed. When asked about RB depth the very first thing Mullen said was that last year Dontavian Lee was AHEAD of Aeris Williams but he was banged up and now he is healthy.

I, along with many of you, were wooly about DL after his spring game performance two years ago and then... nothing. DL was special teams and a random carry here or there. If DL is actually back to 100% and is even close to what Aeris was doing last year watch out for our running game.

Last year our RBs were a major deficiency with Shumpert and Holloway. Maybe the reason why Mullen isn't freaking out like all of you about WR is because this year we are going back to RTGDFB. From my mouth to God and Mullen's ears.
    I think Mullen is sandbagging how good we could be. Our OL isn't going to be bad. Rankin, Williams, Jenkins, Calhoun, Reese is pretty good. Fitz at QB and plenty at RB. Need WR to overperform, but we've got weapons there. Defense is going to be really salty. He said in the interview with Paul he knew Dak's junior year team was really good but he wasn't going to go around and broadcast it. I wonder if there's a little bit of that going on this year. The circumstances are very similar. Returning junior QB. Coming off a 6 win season with momentum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think Mullen is sandbagging how good we could be. Our OL isn't going to be bad. Rankin, Williams, Jenkins, Calhoun, Reese is pretty good. Fitz at QB and plenty at RB. Need WR to overperform, but we've got weapons there. Defense is going to be really salty. He said in the interview with Paul he knew Dak's junior year team was really good but he wasn't going to go around and broadcast it. I wonder if there's a little bit of that going on this year. The circumstances are very similar. Returning junior QB. Coming off a 6 win season with momentum.
    If Fitz makes a jump like Dak did between sophomore and junior year and Grantham is as good as we think then 10 wins might be possible. That left side of the Oline is going to be pretty good, if we get average out of the right side then they might be pretty good. Dan needs to involve the 6 TEs we have so we don't have to rely on the WRs and we could have a good - great offense. WRs might just have to be serviceable with Gray having a breakout year. Running game is going to be there so if we have someone that can kick fgs then I am feeling better about this team than I thought I would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    DLee had a good Spring and why I think we will see very little if anything from Kylin Hill.
    That is really good news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Williams had over 700 yards in the games he started. I just think Holloway and Shumper just did not understand that zone blocking and just wasn't good running backs. I think it was Williams who made that line look better.