Thread: Anybody use Modis?

vCash

Anybody use Modis?

I've known about it but never really used it. It's going to be a part of the arsenal going forward. Huge asset for yak guys who can't just run 10 miles to clean water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I've known about it but never really used it. It's going to be a part of the arsenal going forward. Huge asset for yak guys who can't just run 10 miles to clean water.
    ??? Don't know what it is and google coming up with largely unrelated stuff.

vCash
    http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

It's NASA satellite imagery. Where it comes in handy for an Inshore angler, and I guess a freshwater guy with river/creek influences, you can literally see the dirty water. After a lot of rain you can see the brown coming out of Lake P, Pearl River, and BSL. You can literally see where the brown stops.

vCash
    This image is from another guys report who fishes Mobile Bay and surrounding areas. You can see the whole bay is brown except for 2 small pockets in the southeast of the bay in the bon secour area. He ran straight there and caught fish. I'll take his pic a step further. If those clean pockets would not have held fish I would have went to the west end of Dolphin Island and the whole south side. You can see that the dirty water almost covers everything to the north shore of Dolphin Island.

vCash
    Yep. I use MODIS all the time for work and occasionally for fishing. I actually have that same site bookmarked for quick fishing use. You should have seen the MS sound and South a few weeks ago after those heavy rains.

You can get even better info and higher resolution from this site (have to sign up and takes a little more effort though). Select Aqua MODIS and you can get Kd maps (basically, water turbidity) + a whole lot more for any dates you want.

https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi/browse.pl