Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Bend, OR

Denver Airport Director
    vCash

OT - Bend, OR

Mr and Mrs I Seen It headed out for a week with some friends. Any tips from people who have been?

vCash
    Don't wear your NRA Tshirt and Make America Great Again Hat...

vCash
    Bend is pretty cool. Hope you are planning to drink beer and do outdoors stuff, because that's what there is to do there.

Breweries:
    Crux (saisons are their best)
    Deschutes (do a lot of styles well, their limited stuff is better than their regular releases, try any abyss you can get, the black butte Roman numeral series is great too)
    Boneyard (great IPAs, notorious and hop venom may be the best IIPA and IIIPA out there, better than the Pliny's from Russian river imo having had them side by side)
    Ale apothecary (don't think they have a tap room yet, but super small, super expensive, but really good if you like wild ale styles)
    Bend brewing (solid all around brewery, Ching Ching used to be the shit, but it's not as good anymore)

10 barrel sucks now that ABinBEV bought them. Their regular stuff was never great to begin with, and their limited specialty stuff has definitely dropped off considerably in the last couple years.

For outdoors activities, can white water raft the deschutes, or tube the river through town where it's calm (the water will be colder than you are used to in the south even though it'll be like 100 outside of you are there in the summer). Get a fishing guide if you are into fishing. Head to smith rock for some hikes and to watch the rock climbers, or head west to the sisters for tons of hikes. Do an early morning drive to the painted hills for a day trip (about a 2 hour drive). Could also get a day trip in to mt hood, tons of hiking, timberline lodge (the exterior of the hotel in the shining) is cool to check out and can do lunch or dinner there, plus some great views west, south, and east from there. Check out the concert lineup for les scwab amphitheater, may be something there you like if you'll be there in the summer. Can't give much help on food options but I could ask a friend that lives there now for more food tips. Planker sandwiches right downtown is pretty great though, definitely hit them up for lunch.

Bring some layers for the nights. without humidity, once the sun goes down, temps drop quickly. Summer temps usually hover in the 90s for highs during the day but drop into the low to mid 50s at night.

Are you spending any time in Portland? I assume you're likely flying into and out of pdx. I could give more beer/food and entertainment recs for Portland.
    Last edited by dawgs; 06-30-2017 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Don't wear your NRA Tshirt and Make America Great Again Hat...
    outside of the Portland to Eugene corridor, Oregon is more like Wyoming or Montana than you'd typically think of the west coast. outside of the I-5 corridor along the puget sound, Washington is the same way. More of a true libertarian conservatism view than the religious influenced conservatism across much of the south these days.

vCash
    Ride the pacific coast hwy, you won't be disappointed.

vCash
    Dispensaries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Harbor View Post
    Dispensaries.
    thats just a given

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    This. Couple of parks with some big ass trees on the way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    This. Couple of parks with some big ass trees on the way
    101 is a beautiful drive, but not really something convenient from bend. It'd be it's on trip.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Thanks for the info. Headed to Portland now. Staying a night in Portland on the back end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Thanks for the info. Headed to Portland now. Staying a night in Portland on the back end.
    Busy right now, but let me know where you are staying or whether you have a car and I can give you some brewery and restaurant options for the night for sure. If you don't have a car, uber and lyft are easy and cheap too.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    drove it from Van Eys CA to San Diego. one of the most incredible stretches of beauty I've ever witnessed. not sure what it looks like in the north

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    drove it from Van Eys CA to San Diego. one of the most incredible stretches of beauty I've ever witnessed. not sure what it looks like in the north
    Oregon coast is as pretty, if not prettier than the Cali coast. The coast gets flat and not nearly as pretty in Washington though.
    Last edited by dawgs; 07-03-2017 at 01:29 PM.

vCash
    If you are looking for some good food the night y'all are in pdx, for nicer spots I'd recommend kachka (seriously delicious Russian food), Ava genes (modern Italian, whatever red meat is currently on the menu is a must order), well the list could keep going on and on depending on what style you are wanting. Kachka is the type of place you won't see too often though, not a ton of great Russian food around. Keep in mind that portland nice is still pretty casual, shorts and t-shorts are more than acceptable at almost anywhere in town except a few older, stodgier spots downtown.

If looking for something that's faster and more casual, there's plenty of food recs for that too, just ask.

For breweries, I'd rec great notion (NE style IPAs, great stouts, solid sours), breakside (NE location is 2 blocks from my house, great all around brewery), upright (saisons, some sours), and the commons (saison, farmhouse ales). Or hit up any of the bottle shop/beer bars that'll have 30+ taps and hundreds of bottles that can be opened on premises for a <$2 corkage fee. Tin bucket, bailey's, beer mongers, Belmont station, saraveza, and roscoe's are generally considered the best of the best around town.

For non-eating and drinking, you can go into the SW hills to see the rose test garden and Japanese garden with great views off the hills of town with mt hood as the backdrop. Pittock mansion is also up there. Lots of hiking trails in forest park in the NW section of the hills too. That'd be a nice afternoon activity.

And of course there's almost as many dispensaries as there are breweries and beer bars, and almost as many strip clubs as dispensaries. Oregon isn't shy about liking beer, titties, and weed, ha.
    Last edited by dawgs; 07-03-2017 at 01:44 PM.

vCash
    How was the trip, I seen it?

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    How was the trip, I seen it?
    Had a blast. Tubed a couple of times, did some sightseeing, drank ALOT of beer, ate great food, and best of all no damn humidity. It was upper 80s and never hot. Was awesome. Thanks for all the tips beforehand.

vCash
    Had a blast. Tubed a couple of times, did some sightseeing, drank ALOT of beer, ate great food, and best of all no damn humidity. It was upper 80s and never hot. Was awesome. Thanks for all the tips beforehand.
    Yeah, my mother-in-law passed away last Monday and I spent multiple days in Oklahoma cleaning out her house with temps near 100 all week and humidity not far behind. I thought my ass was gonna go down with heat exhaustion a couple of times. Every time I head south in the summer (usually only when necessitated), I remember why I left that shit behind. Best part of low humidity is that when you step in the shape, the temps drop 10+ degrees easily. When it's humid, there's barely any difference. We were in Vegas about a month ago and it was near 100 while we were there, but it was comfortable walking around with a breeze and when you were hanging in the shade.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Absolutely!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Yeah, my mother-in-law passed away last Monday and I spent multiple days in Oklahoma cleaning out her house with temps near 100 all week and humidity not far behind. I thought my ass was gonna go down with heat exhaustion a couple of times. Every time I head south in the summer (usually only when necessitated), I remember why I left that shit behind. Best part of low humidity is that when you step in the shape, the temps drop 10+ degrees easily. When it's humid, there's barely any difference. We were in Vegas about a month ago and it was near 100 while we were there, but it was comfortable walking around with a breeze and when you were hanging in the shade.
    A 17ing Men. couldn't agree more. I'll never forget spending a summer back in '86 in NYC and took several trips to Maine. Had never lived anywhere else other than MS prior to that.

any of those yankees that think they know heat, they don't know dick. I'll never forget listening to the radio (Howard Stern) in the a.m. before I left for the streets and talking about how miserable it was going to be because the temp was going to be in the mid 80's. LOL. I thought it was in the low 70's. it was total jerk off weather. watching those yanks going ape shit crazy and complaining made me laugh my ass off.

Banned
    vCash
    Oh, and don't let anyone from the "real south" tell you Texas ain't as hot as the "real south".

Trust be brah, it's 17ing hot in Fort Worth, seriously. it's 17ing hot.