Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves fans

Banned
    vCash
    Please buy Cueto, Pence, Nunez, Melancon and Samardjiza

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If we are buyers at the deadline, fire the FO. 6.5 games out is not close, and that's with a record better than it should be considering our -36 RD.

We are a halfway decent team that has gotten a little lucky. Even with Freeman, we're not a real threat, and the FO should be smart enough to understand that.
    If we had any pitcher in the world other than Bartolo Colon in his spot, this team has 3-4 more wins at a minimum, which would make us 3 or 4 games above .500. This is not a bad team. It hits for average, it has enough power, and while the pitching staff as a whole isn't great, there are enough middle relief arms to do well enough. Add the fact that Dansby is coming around finally and Freeman is coming back and I think this lineup is pretty decent. Inciarte, Phillips, Markakis, Freeman, Kemp, Adams, Flowers (who very quietly is batting above .300) and Swanson is a pretty good lineup.

You add a starting pitcher and maybe a better closer to this team and we are going to win more than we lose down the stretch. That to me makes us buyers. But we have to traverse this tough stretch of teams through July in order to be at that point. If we get to the end of July and we are 6 or 7 games below .500, we sell. If we are hanging around .500, we buy. Those west coast teams have to beat up on each other. Might make room for us to come up from a weak division with some better pitching and steal a spot.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-03-2017 at 12:44 PM.

vCash
    If we are buyers at the deadline, fire the FO. 6.5 games out is not close, and that's with a record better than it should be considering our -36 RD.

We are a halfway decent team that has gotten a little lucky. Even with Freeman, we're not a real threat, and the FO should be smart enough to understand that.
    Obviously I don't wanna buy bc I wanna hold our best currency. With that said, let's say we have a great week, mets help us vs the Nats, and we end up 3.5 out of division

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    If we had any pitcher in the world other than Bartolo Colon in his spot, this team has 3-4 more wins at a minimum, which would make us 3 or 4 games above .500. This is not a bad team. It hits for average, it has enough power, and while the pitching staff as a whole isn't great, there are enough middle relief arms to do well enough. Add the fact that Dansby is coming around finally and Freeman is coming back and I think this lineup is pretty decent. Inciarte, Phillips, Markakis, Freeman, Kemp, Adams, Flowers (who very quietly is batting above .300) and Swanson is a pretty good lineup.

You add a starting pitcher and maybe a better closer to this team and we are going to win more than we lose down the stretch. That to me makes us buyers. But we have to traverse this tough stretch of teams through July in order to be at that point. If we get to the end of July and we are 6 or 7 games below .500, we sell. If we are hanging around .500, we buy. Those west coast teams have to beat up on each other. Might make room for us to come up from a weak division with some better pitching and steal a spot.
    You have to take the good with the bad. Adams has been hitting above his head, Kemp was doing that for a while, Phillips has been playing as well as he can.

Sure, if Colon had been good instead of terrible, we'd be better. But again, we are -36 in RD. That is not a .500 team, much less a playoff threat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Obviously I don't wanna buy bc I wanna hold our best currency. With that said, let's say we have a great week, mets help us vs the Nats, and we end up 3.5 out of division
    We aren't ready to contend. That's the only thing that should be taken into account when deciding what to do at the deadline. You always overpay at the deadline. The Braves being a buyer would be an awful move and would go against what they've been trying to build.

vCash
    You have to take the good with the bad. Adams has been hitting above his head, Kemp was doing that for a while, Phillips has been playing as well as he can.

Sure, if Colon had been good instead of terrible, we'd be better. But again, we are -36 in RD. That is not a .500 team, much less a playoff threat.
    The RD is inflated because of how awful Colon was. He was giving up more than a run an inning. An above 8 ERA has really messed that up that RD. If you cut that down to just half and had a pitcher that would have put up only a 4.00 ERA over that time, which is still not that great, we are sitting at a RD around -5. That's not that bad, especially considering Freeman's absence, even with Adams doing well, would have scored us a few more runs over the same period of time. So all in all, a 4 ERA pitcher and Freeman in the lineup makes us around a break even RD.

I agree that this team isn't a contender. Starting pitching is not good enough. But the real question is can we do something to improve our outlook for the remainder of the year and for the future without giving up the farm? If we are still around .500 at the deadline, searching for a quality starting pitcher is something we should do. Additionally, it puts butts in seats and sets us up for an up revenue year in 2018. I think there will be deals to be had at the deadline. If they aren't good enough we don't make a move, but if we are in a decent position as far as record goes, I think we would be crazy not to make some inquiries and look to make a move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not sure how you guys can see Albies as expendable. He's finally getting healthy from elbow injury and he's killing it now. Not only getting multiple hits a game, but also showing some pop (3 HRs in last 9 games/6 total on year). 20/22 in SBs and oh yeah, he's 20 in AAA! Albies, Swanson, and inciarte up the middle is gonna be outstanding.
    he's a SS destined for 2B with this team because they already have a SS locked up for years. that means he has more value to other teams than to this team. if a team is willing to pay that value, then take it and pick a 2B up somewhere else. that said, make another team pay top dollar or keep him. but since Phillips is gone after this year, he's pretty much locked into their plans unless a team pays really well to get him. all i'm saying is, that as a 2B that can play a good SS, he's not untouchable.

vCash
    Yes, it is looking worse and worse. And then we unloaded HO for Kemp, who, while better than HO, is not good and is costing us more money.
    Hmmm have you see Kemps stats lately? I wouldn't call a 306 BA not good. Matts only problem is he is a hamstring pull waiting to happen. But I guess you would want the Upton brothers still roaming the outfield and their batt buddy Uggla back at 2bd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    The RD is inflated because of how awful Colon was. He was giving up more than a run an inning. An above 8 ERA has really messed that up that RD. If you cut that down to just half and had a pitcher that would have put up only a 4.00 ERA over that time, which is still not that great, we are sitting at a RD around -5. That's not that bad, especially considering Freeman's absence, even with Adams doing well, would have scored us a few more runs over the same period of time. So all in all, a 4 ERA pitcher and Freeman in the lineup makes us around a break even RD.

I agree that this team isn't a contender. Starting pitching is not good enough. But the real question is can we do something to improve our outlook for the remainder of the year and for the future without giving up the farm? If we are still around .500 at the deadline, searching for a quality starting pitcher is something we should do. Additionally, it puts butts in seats and sets us up for an up revenue year in 2018. I think there will be deals to be had at the deadline. If they aren't good enough we don't make a move, but if we are in a decent position as far as record goes, I think we would be crazy not to make some inquiries and look to make a move.
    If you buy a player with multiple years remaining on their contract at the deadline, you're going to pay an insane amount. If they're young, you're going to give up even more.

It just doesn't make sense for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hmmm have you see Kemps stats lately? I wouldn't call a 306 BA not good. Matts only problem is he is a hamstring pull waiting to happen. But I guess you would want the Upton brothers still roaming the outfield and their batt buddy Uggla back at 2bd.
    Huh? I don't want either of those things haha. Kemp has been fine offensively. Unfortunately he is horrific defensively. He isn't out there costing us wins overall, but he wasn't worth adding to the sunk cost of HO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    he's a SS destined for 2B with this team because they already have a SS locked up for years. that means he has more value to other teams than to this team. if a team is willing to pay that value, then take it and pick a 2B up somewhere else. that said, make another team pay top dollar or keep him. but since Phillips is gone after this year, he's pretty much locked into their plans unless a team pays really well to get him. all i'm saying is, that as a 2B that can play a good SS, he's not untouchable.
    There are some who have questioned his future as a SS and stated their belief that his best defensive position is 2B. And we're not just trying to maximize trade value, we're trying to build a team. Having a great 2B goes a long way toward that.

The difference in value between a good fielding, good hitting SS and a good hitting, good fielding 2B is basically zero anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    On Cueto, Pence, Nunez, Melancon and Samardjiza
    Are those Santa Claus's "south of the border" reindeer?*

*I know less than dick about baseball....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    There are some who have questioned his future as a SS and stated their belief that his best defensive position is 2B. And we're not just trying to maximize trade value, we're trying to build a team. Having a great 2B goes a long way toward that.
    he has the skills to play SS. if no other team thinks so, then we probably keep him. but if someone is willing to pay as if he is a SS....then he isn't untouchable.

The difference in value between a good fielding, good hitting SS and a good hitting, good fielding 2B is basically zero anyway.
    wut?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    he has the skills to play SS. if no other team thinks so, then we probably keep him. but if someone is willing to pay as if he is a SS....then he isn't untouchable.

wut?
    There is essentially no difference in value between a good fielding, good hitting SS (which is basically what Albies projects to be as a SS, though there has been some question about his defensive level at SS) and a good fielding, good hitting 2B, which is what Albies projects to be as a 2B. Being open to dealing Albies simply because we have Swanson would be ridiculous. We have a huge need for a future 2B as well.

Albies' prospect status didn't change at all when the Braves moved him to 2B. Why? Because it doesn't really matter. He projects to be at least plus defensively at 2B.
    Last edited by smootness; 07-03-2017 at 10:53 PM.