Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves fans

vCash

Braves fans

Amazingly, we are now only one game below .500. We are only 6.5 games out of a wild card spot, 7.5 games out of the division, and are close to a Freeman return. And the Colon experiment has finally come to an end.

Do y'all think we are buyers at the deadline?

We have a nasty stretch coming up that I guess will end up defining that. Houston for 2, @Nats for 4, Arizona for 3, Cubs for 3, @Dodgers for 4, and @Arizona for 3. I mean that's one nasty stretch right there. If we can come out of that stretch alright I think we've got a real playoff chance

vCash
    I doubt we buy, unless we can get a guy with a few years of control.

This week is huge is we have any aspirations for the playoffs. We need to get within 5 games going into the break imo

vCash
    Biggest of those are the four at nationals. Have to take 3/4. Think we have a better chance of winning the division than getting a wildcard.

vCash
    Sonny Gray was the interesting one for me. He's got 2 arbitration years then becomes a free agent. He would be a possibility. Got a 4 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP. That's pretty decent on a bad team. W-L record doesn't mean anything on that team either.

vCash
    They should stand pat as far as any big trades go. Their big deal was getting Adams. If Teheran and dickey keep throwin well enough and the youngsters keep looking like they belong it could continue to be an interesting year.

vCash
    They need pitchers. They are in the shopping mode. I hate to see Acuna or some of the other minor leaguers be traded, but they are building for next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    They need pitchers. They are in the shopping mode. I hate to see Acuna or some of the other minor leaguers be traded, but they are building for next year.
    Acuna, allard, soroka, Albies, wright, and maitan should be absolutely, positively unavailable unless the angels wanna give us trout haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Amazingly, we are now only one game below .500. We are only 6.5 games out of a wild card spot, 7.5 games out of the division, and are close to a Freeman return. And the Colon experiment has finally come to an end.

Do y'all think we are buyers at the deadline?

We have a nasty stretch coming up that I guess will end up defining that. Houston for 2, @Nats for 4, Arizona for 3, Cubs for 3, @Dodgers for 4, and @Arizona for 3. I mean that's one nasty stretch right there. If we can come out of that stretch alright I think we've got a real playoff chance
    yeah, that stretch is brutal. if they come out of that in striking distance, then they will be tentative buyers. by that i mean they will buy only pieces that improve them over the next 3 years. they will be looking for controllable starters, and short term 3B. that's it, they are set everywhere else. i think acuna is untouchable, but that's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    yeah, that stretch is brutal. if they come out of that in striking distance, then they will be tentative buyers. by that i mean they will buy only pieces that improve them over the next 3 years. they will be looking for controllable starters, and short term 3B. that's it, they are set everywhere else. i think acuna is untouchable, but that's it.
    I agree with you here. Whatever they are buying isn't truly for this year. If we get someone to help get to the playoffs then he is really a piece for the next couple of years. This team isn't going to the World Series this year but it could lay a foundation to compete for it next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    I agree with basically all of this. I think Wright is in that category too of untouchable. But I agree we aren't going to get a rental pitcher. Got to get something longer term than that so we can have 2018 and 2019 be contending years as well without having to make a ton of moves.

If we can go .500 through that stretch, I think we've got a real chance to sneak into the playoffs in this weak league. That would give us opportunities to play above .500 baseball after that stretch against worse competition which could put us squarely in the playoff conversation.

vCash
    Not sure how you guys can see Albies as expendable. He's finally getting healthy from elbow injury and he's killing it now. Not only getting multiple hits a game, but also showing some pop (3 HRs in last 9 games/6 total on year). 20/22 in SBs and oh yeah, he's 20 in AAA! Albies, Swanson, and inciarte up the middle is gonna be outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not sure how you guys can see Albies as expendable. He's finally getting healthy from elbow injury and he's killing it now. Not only getting multiple hits a game, but also showing some pop (3 HRs in last 9 games/6 total on year). 20/22 in SBs and oh yeah, he's 20 in AAA! Albies, Swanson, and inciarte up the middle is gonna be outstanding.
    If losing him meant helping us get a Top 20-30 pitcher for a long term deal, then I'm ok losing him. There are quite a few 2B out there you can use to fill a spot for a couple of years while we get ready to bring another one up. But getting top of the line pitching has been something we haven't been able to do. If we get a chance to get an A level pitcher and Albeis has to be in the deal, I would be ok with us doing it as long as we can get that pitcher long term.

vCash
    I hope Acuna is unavailable. He and Gohra are great at trading barbs with during the games. But then again I thought Andrus was unavailable also

vCash
    If losing him meant helping us get a Top 20-30 pitcher for a long term deal, then I'm ok losing him. There are quite a few 2B out there you can use to fill a spot for a couple of years while we get ready to bring another one up. But getting top of the line pitching has been something we haven't been able to do. If we get a chance to get an A level pitcher and Albeis has to be in the deal, I would be ok with us doing it as long as we can get that pitcher long term.
    I'm in no hurry. We have some potential pitchers of that caliber in folty, Newcomb, allard (19 in AA, 3.05 era), soroka (19 in AA, 2.31 era), and wright... even gohara (20 in AA, 2.45 era) to a lesser extent. No way I want to jump the gun when we aren't ready... stay the course bc my list above will have at least 2 studs in it

vCash
    I would like them to start using Gohra in a closers role. He was throwing 97-99 consistently last week in biloxi.

vCash
    The trade killing us now was the Alex Wood one. We got freaking hosed on that trade. Alex Wood would be our ace right now and we never have to pay $12.5 million to Colon. This year would be looking a whole lot different had we held tight there.

vCash
    The trade killing us now was the Alex Wood one. We got freaking hosed on that trade. Alex Wood would be our ace right now and we never have to pay $12.5 million to Colon. This year would be looking a whole lot different had we held tight there.

Agree 100%...but if making all those good trades they did make meant one awful one then I'd take it all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Agree 100%...but if making all those good trades they did make meant one awful one then I'd take it all day.
    Yeah but it's the one awful one which kills us. We need the nobrainer big deals like Crimedog and Sheffield not the texria(sp) ones. That trade was a disaster for us.

vCash
    If we are buyers at the deadline, fire the FO. 6.5 games out is not close, and that's with a record better than it should be considering our -36 RD.

We are a halfway decent team that has gotten a little lucky. Even with Freeman, we're not a real threat, and the FO should be smart enough to understand that.

vCash
    Yes, it is looking worse and worse. And then we unloaded HO for Kemp, who, while better than HO, is not good and is costing us more money.