Thread: Trip to the UK at the start of the football season.............

vCash

Trip to the UK at the start of the football season.............

I was really hopeful when I saw when our trip was going to be I would get to see a game, on some level. After the fixtures were announced, no dice for me. I'm either too late or too soon for every place we are going. My son is splitting from the group early to return to MSU for fall term though. HE may get a chance to go to one in London the second weekend. Several of the big clubs are in town.....so is Millwall. If we were both going to be there I'd almost try for that over the big clubs, and Liverpool is at Watford. A game at The Den................AWESOME!

vCash
    UPDATE!! We forgot about the cups. We were looking at tickets for my son and discovered the there are League Cup games for the lower division clubs when we are all there. We have tickets for Southend United (League One) vs Newport County (League Two) at Roots Hall. Roots Hall is a small but classic old ground. It should be fun!

vCash
    Left Liverpool today after spending a couple of days. Wasn't expecting much but it was a cool city with a lot of great history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Left Liverpool today after spending a couple of days. Wasn't expecting much but it was a cool city with a lot of great history.
    I've only been once, and was just passing through on a cruise. I had to choose between Liverpool and Chester as the shore excursion. I chose Chester to see the Roman ruins there. I had never seen anything Roman at the time. From what I saw of Liverpool it looked awesome. If Liverpool had had a home game when I could have made it on this trip I'd be there. My son tried. On his way back through London the Reds are at Watford in the London exurbs. Watford has one of the smallest stadiums in the EPL and it's a HARD sellout. There wasn't even anything on the re-sale sites. He is looking at going to a game at Brentford, a Championship side.

vCash
    My son IS going to Brentford vs Nottingham Forrest. That's a league game in The Championship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I've only been once, and was just passing through on a cruise. I had to choose between Liverpool and Chester as the shore excursion. I chose Chester to see the Roman ruins there. I had never seen anything Roman at the time. From what I saw of Liverpool it looked awesome. If Liverpool had had a home game when I could have made it on this trip I'd be there. My son tried. On his way back through London the Reds are at Watford in the London exurbs. Watford has one of the smallest stadiums in the EPL and it's a HARD sellout. There wasn't even anything on the re-sale sites. He is looking at going to a game at Brentford, a Championship side.
    Have you tried to contact the club? Sometimes clubs will work with visitors from overseas to get them tickets, even to away matches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglyGiant View Post
    Have you tried to contact the club? Sometimes clubs will work with visitors from overseas to get them tickets, even to away matches.
    Never tried that. We are set now though, train tickets and the works. I'm actually pretty excited about going to a game involving two lower league teams. Roots Hall is beinreplaced next year. It's not a big game and I think only one stand is open, I'm still excited to see it. It's the home of the club with the best record in the country against Man U! 100%! It's only 1-0 but it was within the last 15 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Never tried that. We are set now though, train tickets and the works. I'm actually pretty excited about going to a game involving two lower league teams. Roots Hall is beinreplaced next year. It's not a big game and I think only one stand is open, I'm still excited to see it. It's the home of the club with the best record in the country against Man U! 100%! It's only 1-0 but it was within the last 15 years.
    You'll still have a great time, then. Last time my wife and I went over there we caught a Saints match against Aston Villa in 2015. It was an excruciatingly dull 1-1 draw, but we still had a blast.

vCash
    We had a blast. Roots Hall was a classic old English style stadium. It was about a third full I'd say. Southend lost to Newport County 0-2. It wasn't much of a game and the atmosphere wasn't that great with the home team turning in an absolutely horrible performance. It was still a lot of fun, well other than me losing my cell phone on the train. It fell out of my pocket. And I didn't realize it till we had left the train and the train had left. God bless the Brits though. The cruise company we were with (a small local outfit) got on the case and located my phone. It had been turned in to another station in Southend. When we got back to London after a day traveling from Scotland I had to make a 4 1/2 hour Underground and train trip out to Southend to get it, but I got it. If that had happened here, by by phone.

My son's trip to Brentford went a lot better. He saw a somewhat better game, they lost to Nottingham Forest 3-4. It wasn't that close though as Forrest had a decent lead most of the game. He said he got there early and was sitting next to an elderly Brit who said he had beeen going to Brentford games for 76 years. The guy was totally amazed that an American would go to a Brentford game. He told him about the club and their players. When they guy's mates showed up my son said they all reminded of some of the old dudes that sit behind home plate at DNF, a bunch of smart alecs who were quick to go after the refs and their manager. He had a great time.