Thread: OT: Any drum corps vets on the board?

vCash

OT: Any drum corps vets on the board?

Since college athletics are over for a bit, I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else frequents the board here and has marched either DCI or DCA.

As for myself, I'm a 3 year vet with Memphis Sound, having marched in 04, 05, and 07.

Some of the best summers of my life took place those years.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Wasn't able to be a part of DCI or DCA, but I'm a huge fan of it and I'm actually going to try to go to a show this season.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Wasn't able to be a part of DCI or DCA, but I'm a huge fan of it and I'm actually going to try to go to a show this season.
    My son (and our hs band) is going to the ATL DCI show the last Saturday in July. He's hoping to try out for Spirit of Atlanta if he goes to GT.

vCash
    I tried out for Phantom Regiment in 97 but my parents didn't want to pay for it. I'm still bitter. Where can I watch it?
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    What show are you looking at going to? I thought about going to the one in Hattiesburg if it wasn't in the middle of the week. I might end up doing the Atlanta show this year. I wish they still did the one in Tupelo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    My son (and our hs band) is going to the ATL DCI show the last Saturday in July. He's hoping to try out for Spirit of Atlanta if he goes to GT.
    I hope they enjoy it! One of the guys on brass staff at Spirit was our brass caption head in 2005. Great guy. Tell your son that even if he doesn't try out, or make, Spirit, there are plenty of other corps. I kick myself everyday for not much my age out year in 2009. Even if it's an open class corps, it's still an amazing experience and a summer he wouldn't soon forget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I tried out for Phantom Regiment in 97 but my parents didn't want to pay for it. I'm still bitter. Where can I watch it?
    Man, that is rough. I know a similar story about a guy who MADE 1995 Cavaliers, but he had to decide between paying for that and college. He chose college. Doing a quick YouTube search, there are some clips of the '97 show, but nothing of the show in it's entirety. I know www.dci.org is working on expanding their collection of on demand video, so check there.

vCash
    What instruments do you all play? I'm primarily a baritone horn player but I can play all low brass. FMB 1998 &1999 Baritone and 2000 Tuba
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Primarily trumpet, did spend a year on mello and French horn. FMB trumpet 2009. Was also in the steel band for a few years at Holmes CC.

vCash
    My kids got all the musical talent not me. Daughter plays flute and sideline percussion - starts with the FMB in a month. Son is percussion- just made battery captain as a Jr.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Played snare back in the day, and was a pretty solid player, but didn't stick with it long enough to sniff DCI. A few of my more dedicated friends on the line eventually marched with Music City Mystique, an indoor corps out of Nashville. They were pretty damn impressive when they were hitting on all cylinders.

I used to really dig going to DCI events. Last one I saw live was in the early aughts in Murfreesboro, TN. The Blue Devils snares always blew my mind.

Alas, all that remains of my musical past is my drum set, which my 2 toddlers play more than I do, and my drum pad and marching sticks, which I manage to fiddle with just enough to annoy my wife.

vCash
    Anyone keeping up with scores this year? There is a great app called DrumScorps that I use. I'm really pulling hard for Santa Clara Vanguard to win it this year. I've been a fan since seeing their 2004 show live many times. They haven't won since 1999, so they are due one.

What is everyone's favorite shows? For pure entertainment, I'm going with 1995 Madison Scouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCF_na0UKM