Thread: Hybrid bikes

vCash

Hybrid bikes

Any of you had any experience owning or riding a hybrid bike? Im looking at buying one and need some recommendations. Ive researched online, but havent seen any reviews that fit me exactly.

Id like to stay in the $1000-$1200 range. I feel like ill ride 50% pavement and 50% off road (mostly hard packed dirt roads/trails and gravel roads). Im in NE Ms, so no steep, rocky terrain. But I do have access to some decent bike trails that have slight elevation change.

vCash
    I've got a TREK road bike and a hybrid. They are both about 8 or so years old now. I can't remember the model, but it looks similar to the DS3.

Love both of them. Ride great. Durable. Can even be competitive riding it in a Sprint Tri.

vCash
    I looked at TREK bikes, rode one and loved it. But then I went and looked around and rode GIANT which they mfg more bikes than anyone and or much cheaper. Lance Armstrong rode TREK and they are great bikes but why pay more? I love my Giant.

Lots of good rides and good bikes at a bike shop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I looked at TREK bikes, rode one and loved it. But then I went and looked around and rode GIANT which they mfg more bikes than anyone and or much cheaper. Lance Armstrong rode TREK and they are great bikes but why pay more? I love my Giant.

Lots of good rides and good bikes at a bike shop.
    GIANT does make a good bike. I went TREK because my local bike shop carries them and is factory certified to service them. Kept it simple. I was also knowingly making long term investment - I wanted something I knew I would get my $ worth out of.

But I highly recommend if you have a local shop - especially if they have been around a long time - go buy one there. A great bike shop can make all the difference in the world in maintenance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    GIANT does make a good bike. I went TREK because my local bike shop carries them and is factory certified to service them. Kept it simple. I was also knowingly making long term investment - I wanted something I knew I would get my $ worth out of.

But I highly recommend if you have a local shop - especially if they have been around a long time - go buy one there. A great bike shop can make all the difference in the world in maintenance.
    Totally agree, go to a bike shop when shopping for a bike, I went to all of the shops in Jackson, I was set on a TREK but after research Giant has been in the bike mfg biz a long time and basically have the same parts. There are several other brands to choose, like I said the difference is Armstrong made a name for TREK and they are a great bike, but you pay for that name more.

Had no idea and how little I knew about bikes and bike riding, use to run 3 to 5 miles a day, this is so much better on your body!

vCash
    Totally agree, go to a bike shop when shopping for a bike, I went to all of the shops in Jackson, I was set on a TREK but after research Giant has been in the bike mfg biz a long time and basically have the same parts. There are several other brands to choose, like I said the difference is Armstrong made a name for TREK and they are a great bike, but you pay for that name more.

Had no idea and how little I knew about bikes and bike riding, use to run 3 to 5 miles a day, this is so much better on your body!
    Totally agree about biking vs. running. Running beats the shit out of your body. Problem in a lot of places is safe places to ride. I have about 50 miles of paths/trails that I can jump on about half a mile from my house. Makes a huge difference.

vCash
    Totally agree about biking vs. running. Running beats the shit out of your body. Problem in a lot of places is safe places to ride. I have about 50 miles of paths/trails that I can jump on about half a mile from my house. Makes a huge difference.
    50 miles, that is awesome! One thing that stood out to me about safety and riding. I told one of the experience riders who worked at a bike store I wear a helmet and a safety vest and I'm always aware of cars even riding on bike trails. He told me it's a good thing to be aware and even have some fear when riding around traffic. I try and ride where I feel safe but I do have to cross streets from time to time.
    Safe riding Bruns!

vCash
    50 miles, that is awesome! One thing that stood out to me about safety and riding. I told one of the experience riders who worked at a bike store I wear a helmet and a safety vest and I'm always aware of cars even riding on bike trails. He told me it's a good thing to be aware and even have some fear when riding around traffic. I try and ride where I feel safe but I do have to cross streets from time to time.
    Safe riding Bruns!
    One of the perks of living here. Both St Simons and Jekyll Islands have 20+ miles of paths, and I can ride to either down a 6-7 mile causeway (SSI's has a separate path while JI has a bike lane). I'm actually just starting to work with a team on a drafting a master plan project now to use 10 miles of tow paths on an 1840s canal that will help connect Brunswick and Darien on the East Coast Greenway. Lots of opportunity for bikes down here on easy, flat land.

Safe trails Base.

vCash
    One of the perks of living here. Both St Simons and Jekyll Islands have 20+ miles of paths, and I can ride to either down a 6-7 mile causeway (SSI's has a separate path while JI has a bike lane). I'm actually just starting to work with a team on a drafting a master plan project now to use 10 miles of tow paths on an 1840s canal that will help connect Brunswick and Darien on the East Coast Greenway. Lots of opportunity for bikes down here on easy, flat land.

Safe trails Base.
    I'm impressed. I started off a few years ago riding a Sports Academy bike. Rode it hard, then I started doing research on Hybird Bikes. Man it makes riding so much more enjoyable and fun. I ride further and faster with comfort.

It's a challenge and it ain't for whimps!