Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU's Poltical Pull and Positioning

vCash
    Thanks Beastman for that post, really makes you proud to be part of the MSU family!
    We have to stay on top of things, as we all know there are those in this state that would like to see us tumble.

vCash
    Now all we need is a journalism program and we will be golden...

vCash
    Just a thought, but if anyone with a mascot identity crisis and had trouble forgetting old times reads that, they will probably stock up on the tinfoil.

"Look at all those connections! That just proves that it IS the mutts conspiring to bring us down!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    Just a thought, but if anyone with a mascot identity crisis and had trouble forgetting old times reads that, they will probably stock up on the tinfoil.

"Look at all those connections! That just proves that it IS the mutts conspiring to bring us down!"

Let me give you an illustration. If you walk in a bar full of strangers and act like a wasted, entitled prick, you'll get your ass beat. If you walk in a bar full of friends and act like a wasted, entitled prick, they'll probably laugh and someone will call you a cab home. The next day they'll tell you you were out of control.

Having friends is important

vCash
    OM is attracting more out of state students than in state students. Those students go back home and don't add voters to MS. I see MSU continuing to gain political ground in the State of MS as long as that happens.

vCash
    Great post, Beastman! That was a great read and well thought out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Let me give you an illustration. If you walk in a bar full of strangers and act like a wasted, entitled prick, you'll get your ass beat. If you walk in a bar full of friends and act like a wasted, entitled prick, they'll probably laugh and someone will call you a cab home. The next day they'll tell you you were out of control.

Acting like a wasted entitled prick is TSUN's forte.

vCash
    Great OP, Beast, well done.

I think that ship has sailed. Once they went full scorched-earth, they'll never find themselves in a "bar full of friends".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We need this more than we need a law school or medical school. Law & medical degrees are post graduate degrees & thus OM's programs have many MSU people in it. Journalism is an undergrad degree &, by not having that curriculum, we suffer in the press.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Let this sink in: MSU last 3 ADs, who all still love MSU, are a leader in the SEC office, Bama AD, and Fla AD. AND the SEC commissioner's daughter goes to MSU.
    Excellent post as always Beast. Another extremely powerful ally that is often forgotten is University of Alabama Chancellor Ray Hayes. In addition to him and his wife being MSU grads, he worked for MSU two different times with the most recent being VP of finance during the Foglesong era. He was the mastermind behind the junction and took our finances to the next level. To this day he is still a HUGE advocate for the Bulldawgs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Underachiever View Post
    Excellent post as always Beast. Another extremely powerful ally that is often forgotten is University of Alabama Chancellor Ray Hayes. In addition to him and his wife being MSU grads, he worked for MSU two different times with the most recent being VP of finance during the Foglesong era. He was the mastermind behind the junction and took our finances to the next level. To this day he is still a HUGE advocate for the Bulldawgs
    No $hit, boy I sure didn't know that. (Reckon we can get him to fire little Nickie?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Great discussion.

Couple all of this with our "Brand Ambassadors" in athletics right now - Dak on GMA this morning pushing cancer awareness with a star from one of the top TV comedies (plus everything else Dak is on); Fletcher Cox being the highest paid former SEC football player on the planet; Darius Slay leading kids camps in 2 different cities; Brent Rooker winning a Triple Crown and tearing up his first MiL assignment; Buck Showalter having the Orioles in the AL East fight again; our Women's Final Four team; Mitch Moreland leading the Red Sox; Hunter Renfroe pushing for ROY; Johnathan Holder pitching well in Yankee Stadium; Top 25 Teams in M&W Tennis; Top 25 Teams in Track; another post season in Softball, another MPG Supercar winner.

And what does Ole Miss have? Eli throwing interceptions? What else? Any positives.

We are entering a Golden Age of MSU Athletics and Academics. We will win a Natty in a Big 3 within the next few years. We will no longer be confused with the school up north -especially after the hammer drops from the NCAA. Great time to be associated with MSU.
    Aw man. How can you put down Bo Wallace? He's the latest celebrity for Ole Miss. I'll be Zima will be knocking at his door for a contract. He made WCBI news in an almost nude photograph. I'm sure that photo is on every frat member's wall at Ole Miss and sells for a hefty price. **

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    BUMP. This thread is much more deserving of Page 1 than EVERYTHING i'm currently seeing. Thanks again for the the OP Beastman

vCash
    This needs a bump
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Well Played. Still all true too, according to some new info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We don't need that. We need some rich boosters to buy the CL or start a new paper and make them be balanced. I don't want a paper to cater to Miss State or anyone. Just report what is true and report everything and not look the other way.

vCash
    Now I'd be remiss if I didn't mention OM's power in the state legislature where I believe they are still the power. The gap is closed but they still have the edge. Also, they have the edge in power alumni in the state. Big-time litigation will do that for you but I don't think we'll see that windfall ever again.
    I'm not sure there is a gap anymore in the legislature. You have Phil Bryant who is a USM guy (I recognize he's not in the legislature, but it still matters for what moves through the legislature).

If you look at the Senate, you have:

Tate - who is a Milsaps guy.
    Eugene Clark leading appropriations, an MSU guy
    Briggs Hobson vice chair of appropriations, a UM guy
    Gray Tollision chair of education, a UM guy
    Chris Caughman vice chair of education, a Belhaven graduate (no clue if he cheers for another team)
    Joey Fillingane chair of finance, a USM and MC law guy
    Dean Kirby vice chair of finance, a Mississippi college guy (no clue if he cheers for another team)
    Willie Simmons, chair of highways is an alcorn st and Delta state guy
    Dennis DeBar, Jr., Vice-Chairman of highways and transportation is an MC Law and University of Central Florida guy.

In the House:
    Gunn is Baylor undergrad and Ole Miss law school guy.
    John Read chairs appropriations and is a NE Louisiana guy; no clue if he cheers for anybody in state
    Mac Huddleston is vice chair of appropraitions and is a MSU grad
    Charles Busby is chair of transportation and is a South Alabama grad
    Steve Massengill is vice-chair of transportation and no clue if he cheers for a college team.
    Nolan Mettetal is chair of universities and colleges and is a UM guy
    Gregory Holloway is vice chair of universities and is a JSU guy

State may be underrepresented, but the representation is spread enough and key committee positions spread enough that I don't think UM could push anything MSU didn't sign off on and vice versa.

vCash
    ...has been run...

vCash
    Massegill is %100 MSU...Donnie Bell chairman or workforce development is %100 MSU
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 09-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.

vCash
    you are nuts if you think Florida has more pull than Alabama regarding the male cheerleader from Jackson Prep.
    you are nuts if you think Amy Tuck has any pull in Jackson. She couldn't even pass the bar exam....

Keenum was Chief of Staff for Cochran and learned much from that experience as well as his wife, Rhonda is a HUGE POWER PLAYER IN DC...
    another former Chief of Staff for Cochran is President of Entergy, MS, although he was a KA at State... good guy... VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE.

LT is our biggest ambassodor in the SEC office and still has stroke Nationally... the idiots that ran him off were clueless... He knows more about being an AD and the SEC than anyone in the country.

some of your points are valid.... but some are just ridiculous....