Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spieth ties Tiger's record for most wins at age 23. in FINE fashion. holes out from

Banned
    vCash

Spieth ties Tiger's record for most wins at age 23. in FINE fashion. holes out from

the bunker in O.T.

damn, this guy is GOOD... Wish Tiger could get healthy and start back, would be great for the PGA. Personally, I think he's scared, too many young guns out there these days that are not afraid of Woods. Tiger wouldn't be able to handle getting his ass whooped.

scroll to the last to see the dramatics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwkrIHd3nY

Banned
    vCash
    I was the biggest Tiger fan before Elin broke him. I wanted to believe he'd find his way back for the longest time but I have faced it. He's done. I doubt he ever wins another PGA event again and I won't be surprised if he never plays another PGA tournament again. Either his back is totally wrecked FUBAR style like his brain and confidence are or he stopped juicing or both.

vCash
    Actually tiger won 15 times before he was 24. Jordan is one of 3 that won 10 times before 24. But he's had a great start either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I was the biggest Tiger fan before Elin broke him. I wanted to believe he'd find his way back for the longest time but I have faced it. He's done. I doubt he ever wins another PGA event again and I won't be surprised if he never plays another PGA tournament again. Either his back is totally wrecked FUBAR style like his brain and confidence are or he stopped juicing or both.
    I'm glad to see you've finally come around. Took a while, but you're right. He's done

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'm glad to see you've finally come around. Took a while, but you're right. He's done
    When I say I was the biggest Tiger fan before Elin I mean it. I watched every big tournament he played in for 16 straight years including as a skinny teenager wearing a douchey straw hat and huge ugly polo with shorts.

Tiger forced me to never give up on him though when he won in Augusta with this chip

and I actually distinctly remembering telling myself I will never doubt he can do anything when he won here with a torn ACL and two stress fractures in his left leg

But we haven't seen that man since Elin broke him and he isn't coming back. It's unfortunate to say the least. Maybe something magical will spark him back to life but as I seen it now that Tiger Woods died when Elin killed him.

Banned
    vCash
    Good shots 61. I wish he would make a come back. would be GREAT for the game. Sorry for those visiting my thread as my title was not entirely accurate. 17'd that up a little.

like home said, still a hell of a run by Spieth at such an early age.

looking forward to see what develops.

vCash
    Jack is the best golfer in history for a career, Tiger had the most dominant decade in golf. They are 1 and 2

Good to see this younger generation have some stones and play with excitement- something the Tour sadly missed when Tiger came around.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Jack is the best golfer in history for a career, Tiger had the most dominant decade in golf. They are 1 and 2

Good to see this younger generation have some stones and play with excitement- something the Tour sadly missed when Tiger came around.
    no doubt random. for 20 17ing years STRAIGHT, Jack never finished less than 4TH on the money list. that's way 17'd up. what Tiger did in his 10 year run was RUTHIAN.

For some reason , I'm not sure Spieth can duplicate the above 2 due to the increased competition that exists in today's game. I know that's a controversial subject these days and I'm by no means an expert, but I do think the competition in today's game is tougher than yesterday's game. These guys today are REALLY good.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think we can compare the eras anymore. The sport is so different now than back then with all the improvements in equipment and everything else including the players themselves are much much more athletic. The amateur from aTm led the US Open in driving distance at 339 yards. He's 20 and not even a pro yet. There was a 670 yard par 5 and a 520 yard par 4 and nobody was blinking an eye about it. The talent pool is much much larger now than it was 40 years ago too. There's probably something like 800 really good golfers in the world today and probably about 100 of them are talented enough to win a major when 40 years ago those numbers are more like 200 really good golfers and 20 guys good enough to win a major. Play with the numbers all you like but the point is there's much more really good golfers to have to compete against than when Jack dominated. That is a fact undeniably.

vCash

But we haven't seen that man since Elin broke him and he isn't coming back. It's unfortunate to say the least. Maybe something magical will spark him back to life but as I seen it now that Tiger Woods died when Elin killed him.
    Tiger killed himself. Not Elin.

Banned
    vCash
    Tiger is the Ken Griffey Jr. of golf. Started his career on a torrid pace and in his prime was the greatest all-around player in the history of the game for a 8-9 year stretch. But, injuries took their toll and the lack of longevity caused by said injuries prevented him from being the GOAT.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 06-27-2017 at 08:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Tiger is the Ken Griffey Jr. of golf. Started his career on a torrid pace and in his prime was the greatest all-around player in the history of the game for a 8-9 year stretch. But, injuries took their toll and the lack of longevity caused by said injuries prevented him from being the GOAT.
    Ahh, Ken Griffey Jr....the day I finally acquired his 1989 Upper Deck rookie card is about the time he started his decline. I guess that one is one me.

Banned
    vCash
    You're selling Tiger way short and that's no knock on KG Jr. Fact is Jack wouldn't have dominated if he had to play vs Tiger from 97-2008. Tiger woulda won every single tournament he did and Jack woulda been 2nd a whole shitload more times than he already was. Peak Tiger is better than Peak Jack. End of debate. Don't @ me.

Banned
    vCash
    You're selling Tiger way short and that's no knock on KG Jr. Fact is Jack wouldn't have dominated if he had to play vs Tiger from 97-2008. Tiger woulda won every single tournament he did and Jack woulda been 2nd a whole shitload more times than he already was. Peak Tiger is better than Peak Jack. End of debate. Don't @ me.
    I don't think I'm selling him short at all. Nobody in the history of baseball, not Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Williams, or Dimaggio, ever played baseball at an all-around higher level than Griffey in 1990-1999, and no one has done it since or even come close (just like with Woods from 1996-2004). In baseball the term 5-tool player gets thrown around quite a bit, but the truth is that outside of Griffey a true 5-tool player has arguably never existed. Hitting .275-.300 with 40-50 HR's, 30+ SB's, and a Gold Glove every year in CF for close to a decade is freakish. There have been stand-outs in individual statistical categories, but none that could do it all like that. And he's also pretty much the only high profile player of the 90's that was never busted for juicing in any capacity, so there's that.

vCash
    Tiger is the GOAT.

But Elin didn't break him. He won 8 times in 2012-2013 and was #1 in the world again after that. It's the back, it's just never going to be the same. His violent swing finally caught up to him, and it looks like it's too much for his back to handle.

It really sucks, as there's literally nothing in sports better than watching Tiger when he's on his game. But yeah, he seems to be done.

But if anyone in any sport ever challenges the level Tiger was at in 2000-01, I will be shocked.
    Last edited by smootness; 06-27-2017 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    I don't think I'm selling him short at all. Nobody in the history of baseball, not Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Williams, or Dimaggio, ever played baseball at an all-around higher level than Griffey in 1990-1999, and no one has done it since or even come close (just like with Woods from 1996-2004). In baseball the term 5-tool player gets thrown around quite a bit, but the truth is that outside of Griffey a true 5-tool player has arguably never existed. Hitting .275-.300 with 40-50 HR's, 30+ SB's, and a Gold Glove every year in CF for close to a decade is freakish. There have been stand-outs in individual statistical categories, but none that could do it all like that. And he's also pretty much the only high profile player of the 90's that was never busted for juicing in any capacity, so there's that.
    I am a huge Griffey fan, but this is some serious hyperbole. Griffey's 96-97 is certainly up there, but Mike Trout is currently playing at a level Griffey never did. Bonds in the early 2000's was clearly better, Ruth was better, Ted Williams, Mays. Griffey was phenomenal, but that is just an insane statement.

Banned
    vCash
    This thread is dangerously close to getting hijacked into a Barry Bonds debate so I am going to attempt to steer it back into a golf thread. Spieth is probably my favorite player to watch now because of his competitiveness and will/drive to win. When he and his brother start arguing on the course it is must watch tv. Spieth has that same strive for perfection that Woods had. He gets frustrated with himself very easily and has a tendency to throw little temper tantrums like Tiger did too. Jordan isn't a manwhore addicted to Huddle House pus$y unlike Tiger so he may be able to climb into the double digits in major wins. I am rooting for him to do it. I want someone to break Jack's record. I thought Tiger was a lock to do it but it's now more likely Tiger is a lock for drug rehab. Sounds like he's already addicted to pain pills. Sadly.

vCash
    Throwing out a stat that some people may or may not know about Jordan and Tiger being the fastest to 10 wins... Tiger did it in 40 less starts.. THAT IS INSANE.

vCash
    Everything about Tiger is bonkers. Spieth is great, but he won't ever be Tiger.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think I'm selling him short at all. Nobody in the history of baseball, not Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Williams, or Dimaggio, ever played baseball at an all-around higher level than Griffey in 1990-1999, and no one has done it since or even come close (just like with Woods from 1996-2004). In baseball the term 5-tool player gets thrown around quite a bit, but the truth is that outside of Griffey a true 5-tool player has arguably never existed. Hitting .275-.300 with 40-50 HR's, 30+ SB's, and a Gold Glove every year in CF for close to a decade is freakish. There have been stand-outs in individual statistical categories, but none that could do it all like that. And he's also pretty much the only high profile player of the 90's that was never bussted for juicing in any capacity, so there's that.
    You could not be more wrong. NOBODY, not Jr or even Hank Aaron deserves to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Babe Ruth.

The only way to fairly compare today's players with yesterday's is to see how much separation they created between their contemporaries. NOBODY came close to creating such wide gaps in the statistics of their respective eras than George Herman Ruth.

He single handily brought baseball into a new era and some would even argue he saved the game all by himself. He was physically unique, possessed of a rare combination of lightning reflexes, superb judgment and timing, and excellent eyesight.

He started his career as a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox and had a great run from 1914 thru 1918, went 78-40, including leading the league in 1916 with 1.75 era, 9 shutouts, and a 23-12 record. he was 3-0 in world series competition with a .87 era for 31 innings and pitched 29 2/3 scoreless innings , a world series record held until broken by Whitey Ford in 1961. in 1918 he alternated between pitching and the outfield and led the league with 11 HR's and a .555 slugging average.

He went on to either lead or tie for the lead in dingers 12 times. what is so amazing is when you look at how many the runner ups had during that streak.

1919--Ruth had 29, runner up with 10
    1920--Ruth had 54, runner up had 19
    1921--Ruth had 59, runner up had 24
    1922--injury year with only 406 at bats, had 35 while Hornsby had 42 with 623 at bats
    1923--Ruth had 41---runner up with 29
    1924--Ruth had 46---runner up with 25
    1925--don't think he played that year
    1926--Ruth 47--r/u 19
    1927--Ruth 60---r/u Gehrig with 47 and 3rd place 30
    1928--Ruth 54--r/u 31
    1929--Ruth 46---r/u 43

to give you an idea of this separation, consider years like 1921 when ONE out of EVERY 8 home runs hit in the American League, ONE of those was hit by Babe Ruth.

His lifetime batting avg is .342 and slugging avg is .690 which is 56 points higher than runner up Ted Williams.

During an 8 year run, he led the league in walks 7 of those years despite having Lou Gehrig hitting behind him every time. Leaving little doubt he was the most feared man to every step into a batter's box.

the only thing he was not dominant in was speed, but despite that, he was always up there in the top 5 in triples. showing that when he wasn't knocking it out of the park, he was still knocking the ever loving shit off the cover of the ball when contact was made.

one of the stats you didn't see back then was outfielder's throwing out runners. when you look at the newspaper clippings, the writers were always talking about his cannon of an arm and how he would throw out runners routinely trying to stretch their long singles into doubles. he had a CANNON of an arm from right field. opposing hitters learned quickly throughout his career to be careful of Ruth's arm in right field.

NOBODY is in the same category with Babe Ruth and I doubt anybody ever will.